“Wasn't to Grand...”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Overall it was ok. A little dated, the furniture weathered. The grounds were pretty. Food and service were both quality. The resort fee was robbery. I paid 25 per day for a USA today, in room stale coffee and spotty wireless. The resort pool was only open for 5 hours on a Saturday during four day/ three night stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Jegoldbe
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Jegoldbe,

Thank you for choosing Arizona Grand Resort & Spa. I am pleased to see that you were impressed with our well-manicured resort grounds and the high-quality food. To clarify, our six resort pools are open daily from 6am to 10pm and are a great alternative while our 7-acre Oasis Water Park is closed. We always encourage our guests to come early on their day of arrival or stay late on their departure day to maximize their time at Oasis Water Park. I hope that I have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Paul Gray

Write a ReviewReviews (2,900)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Arizona Grand is one of those hotels that you can easily imagine was nice back in its heyday but that has become a victim of time and poor management. My parents and siblings came to the hotel from different parts of the country to celebrate my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary. We rented 5 suites for 20 adults and children. The rooms are spacious but the furnishings are tired and worn. As well the hotel does a poor job of cleaing the rooms -- dustballs in all the places they tend to accumulate if not cleaned, black dirt buildup on the phones from use, stains all over the carpets, etc. Really it was hard to feel comfortable and relax in the rooms. Staff was generally good. The bell boys and room service were friendly and prompt in responding to requests. Reception wasn't particularly warm or welcoming, although they weren't bad. The hotel is right on the highway, so it can be loud.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Maine2026

Dear Maine,

Thank you for sharing you feedback on your recent stay with us. I apologize for the disappointment you experienced with your suite. I appreciate your candid feedback and will use this as an opportunity to address your areas of concern with our resort staff. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to earn your loyalty should your travels return you to the Valley of the Sun.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our group was comprised of two adult couples who traveled to Arizona for a golf weekend.

Weather: Traveled the last weekend in September, so the weather was still hot, around 95 – 100 degrees, and the evenings were beautiful at about 85 degrees.

Location: The resort is situated southeast of downtown Phoenix. While it was a short drive from the airport, you definitely knew you were in the middle of the city and highway traffic noise was a constant in the background and was a little distracting.

Resort: The resort is huge, and includes a conference center and a large water park. It’s obvious that it’s an older resort and in some places they are struggling to keep it up nicely. At the time we were there, the water park was already on reduced weekend hours, so because our tee times were in the early afternoon, we didn’t have a chance to visit the waterpark, but we strolled by it in the evenings and it looked very fun. Other than the waterpark, there are a few small pools scattered throughout the resort, a couple of which are adult only and are very quiet and laid back. The Camelback building seemed where the resort lodged most of the families with children, and we saw only adults in the Mountainside building where we were located.

Rooms: Our room, overlooking the center lagoon and #1 tee, was very lovely. The bed was divine, and there was a nice sitting room with business desk. No robes, which would have been nice for sitting out on the balcony.

Dining: We had breakfast every morning on the patio of the Lobby Grill, which was shaded and warm, but perfect for relaxing over a cup of coffee. On Saturday and Sunday, they feature a buffet with good variety and lots of fresh fruit. Our first night, we visited the Rustler’s Roost, which is a loud western themed steak restaurant up on a hill overlooking the resort. Unfortunately, their deck, which overlooks the city, was reserved for a private party, but we were able to find a quiet corner against the windows. The steaks were very good, and they finish off dinner with a tub of cotton candy. Just check in at the front desk of the resort and they will have a car take you up the hill to the restaurant. The second night, we visited Aunt Chilada’s, a Mexican restaurant within walking distance, and had a very nice dinner on the patio.

Golf: We purchased a golf package that included a round of golf, rental clubs, and a $25/per room credit per day directly from the resort. The golf course was a bit brown (but it was September), and because they were hosting tournaments both Friday and Saturday, our tee times were early afternoon so it was pretty warm. The sun was already beginning to dip by the time we finished up around 5:30pm, which was nice. We really enjoyed some of the unique tee boxes, obstacles and desert landscapes. The rental clubs had definitely seen better days, and if you get a women’s set, be sure to ask for a pitching wedge because they don’t seem to think women use them.

Customer Service: With only one exception, that being the coffee shop in the Lobby where the baristas were surly and unfriendly, all of our service was excellent at the resort and the restaurants.

Overall, we have a wonderful, relaxing weekend. Arizona Grand is a lovely resort with an old-school feel to it.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, stay in the Camelback building. Adults might prefer the Mountai...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sonja80204
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Sonja,

Thank you for your great review! I am happy to see that you enjoyed some great dining experiences and had fun on the golf course. It sounds like you visited us right before we closed for over-seeding, which might explain the browning grass. I hope to welcome you back to our classic resort for years to come.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

However, I was right next to the highway and it was extremely loud. If I had not been completely exhausted, I think I would have had a hard time sleeping. The $40 resort fee was a bit much on top of the already expensive room. The staff member who guided me to my room and carried my bags could not have been any nicer. The guy who delivered my room service pizza was not as pleasant. The worst part of my stay was the freezing cold shower I took in the morning when I had no hot water.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AwesomeCollin

Dear Collin,

Thank you for choosing Arizona Grand Resort & Spa for your recent business trip. When our guests have a strong preference on room location I recommend discussing upgrades with our reservation specialists to find the perfect suite location to satisfy their needs. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to be of service should your travels bring you back to Phoenix.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We are currently staying at the resort and checked in about 2 hours ago and so far would say that I am generally disappointed. After a nine hour car ride, we were greeted by the front desk agent who told us we are in a resort suite and it has a limited view. Try it has no view other than the garbage dumpsters and a parking lot. Not a big deal, we are only sleeping here for the night before we continue our journey tomorrow. So we go down to the bar to have a cocktail and are greeted by a server who snaps at us when we ask if we can get a drink on the patio. Her response, "no, I'm the only one here right now and you will just have to wait a few minutes." She was busy, I will give her that, but not our fault that her manager did not schedule enough help considering there was a wedding in house. I'm in the restaurant business and if I ever heard an employee speak to a guest in that manner, I would have shown her the door. The bartender on the other hand was quite nice. So after our cocktail, we go back to our room which is now vibrating from the music from the wedding. It sounds like you are sitting next to a car that has the loud music amplification systems and play them full blast and you can actually feel your insides vibrating. The rooms themselves are clean and nicely decorated. I would say that I expected more. I would not return based on this experience. There are nicer resorts in the Phoenix area. Also, be aware that you are charged a resort fee that you are not made aware of until after you finalize your reservation. It covers the waterpark, which as 3 adults, did not and would not use and the wifi. $25 dollars for what?

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the appealing description of the "resort suites," they are the wors...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Margie G
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Margie,

I am disappointed to learn of your experience this weekend at our Lobby Bar, and apologize for the inconvenient wait you encountered after your long car ride. Fellow travelers should note that as with most resorts, our rooms are offered on a continuum by view type. I would suggest considering an upgrade from our entry level limited view category if this is important to you. I am pleased that you found your accommodations to be clean and nicely decorated, and look forward to sharing your compliment with our dedicated housekeeping team. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you once again should your travels return you to Phoenix.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Arizona Grand is a nice idea. I think they could have done better. First, there is a $20 per night "resort fee" that they charge when you check in. This is supposed to cover the waterpark and fitness club. We checked in at 6 and the waterpark closed at 7. They still charged us the fee even though we go 30 minutes in the waterpark. (We would not of gone at all, but we wanted to make the most of our $20. Also, the restaurant there wasn't very good. We waited an hour to get in, the food was super expensive, and the food wasn't that great. The rooms were fine, except that we found a pack of smokes on the porch. The elevator in our tower was a little bit scary. Sometimes when you would step in to it, it would fall a little. It was also really shaky. We ended up using the stairs most of the time. I think the property is too big. They could of built the towers a little closer together so you didn't have to walk as far.

The Waterpark:
The main reason our family chose to stay here was because of the waterpark. They have two slides that go straight down, a curly slide, a lazy river, and a hot tub. I think their main reason to have the waterpark is to collect the resort fee and sell overpriced sodas. When my dad tried to jump in to the lasy river from the side, the lifeguard yelled at him, made him get out, and go around. After about 2 days the water slides gett a little old.

If you have younger kids and don't mind shelling out quite a bit of money, this MIGHT be a good place to go. I would highly recommend you avoid this place, and stay at a place where you get a bigger bang for your buck.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Eric L

Dear Eric,

Thank you for recognizing the Arizona Grand as a nice idea, however I apologize that we did not quite meet your expectations. Regarding the hours of Oasis, we encourage guests to take advantage of the water park both pre- and post-stay with full-day access privileges on their arrival and departure days. We have found that many guests appreciate the focus on swimmer safety provided by our team of trained lifeguards, and regret that your father had a negative experience. I know we’re a long way from Anchorage, however I hope you will consider us again for a future warm weather retreat in the Valley of the Sun.

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at the location for a conference. The property is very large. It is nice, but all a bit dated. The property seems over-large for the business that they do. The nearby Mexican restaurant is good, but there are not many other food options. While I think that the mini water park is cool, it would not have been a big enough draw for me to book here for my own vacation.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Obiawhat,

Thank you for joining us at Arizona Grand for your recent conference! As a 740-room all suite resort situated on 164 acres at the base of a natural wildlife preserve, our property is necessarily large to accommodate all our amenities including an 18-hole mountainside golf course, 20,000square-foot spa & fitness center and six on-site dining options. Our 7-acre water park has been a popular draw for families and thrill-seekers daring enough to take on our trio of 8-story slides. I am pleased you were able to combine pleasure with business and experience the “cool” factor of the water park during your stay!