“Great Sunset Views”

and up
Small-Group Tour: Deluxe Phoenix and Scottsdale Day Trip
Ranked #6 of 234 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: This, the largest municipal park in the world, is a popular hiking, biking and horseback riding trail area.
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This park itself is a bit underrated in Phoenix. The are that you have to go through to get there is a bit on the ghetto side and could be quite deterring to out of town visitors who don't understand that South Mountain is one of the largest City owned parks in the United States.

The views from this park are amazing! The only downfall to our visit was we didn't head out to the park in time to drive up to the radio tower look out point. We just went to one view point whereas I would have loved to take one of the hiking trails to get some good sunset photography shots. If you are a avid photographer like me, this is one of the best places to get shots of downtown phoenix and the surround areas and some good sunset shots!

2  Thank oregonadventurer66
Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed October 2, 2011

There are so many trails at the Pima Canyon entrance to South Mountain Park. I especially like the hike to Fat Man's Pass. If it's not too hot, I would call this a moderate 2 hour rt hike. The hike has a few steep parts but the views are beautiful and the granite boulders at The Pass are fun to slide down.

4  Thank Safariranger
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This was one of the last major things we did on our week in Scottsdale.
We had hired a Harley Electra Glide each from Hacienda Harley Davidson (15600 N. Hayden Road Scottsdale AZ 85260) Very reasonable at $119 for 24 hrs)
After riding all day up to Flagstaff and back we had a rush on to get back to South Mountain in time for Sunset. (This was a recommendation from the staff at Hacienda). The views while riding up to the top were amazing if not a bit scary at times. All the effort and braving the heat without air con all day were rewarded in the cooling ride and we arrived just in time for the Sunset above Phoenix. With A beer in hand and the company of my gorgeous girlfriend it would've been very romantic if we weren't so hot and sticky!!

The view of the city were amazing and I recommend the trip up to the top to everyone. One of the best parts of the week!

1  Thank Hooka74
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I went to South Mountain for a morning hike on a warm, sunny January morning, and would definitely recommend it. The views are great because they are so expansive - it's always fun to be able to see the area from a "bird's eye view." Also, I enjoyed hiking through the desert landscape. The park is relatively convenient from the city, so it was pretty busy, but did not detract. It's nice that you can drive to the top, and then take a relatively flat hike.

2  Thank jules51r
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We only had an hour to spend there, but if I had to plan again I might have planned a day. Plenty of walking just make sure to bring water. Some of the rock formations reminded me of the rocks hiking we did in the Black Hills, just without the trees and buffalos.

They had horseback riding ranches here which I didn't know about. Depending on the price, we would have loved to hike.