“A unique garden experience”

Desert Botanical Garden
Ranked #2 of 234 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in Papago Park, these gardens offer visitors an opportunity to learn about desert flora.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The gardens were a complete surprise. My husband who is not at all into gardening was truly amazed at the number of different cacti, succulents and other desert dwelling plants. We both thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon in the gardens.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,822)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I never knew there were so many types of cactus. You get to see the different varieties as well as where they grow best in the desert. We went to visit the garden in the off season. I would love to see it when the cactus's were in bloom.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We made a special side trip to Phoenix to visit the Gardens on our last trip to the southwest and were not disappointed. The gardens are well laid out and maintained. The photos we brought back are stunning. The gardens are located not too far from the Phoenix airport (GPS: N33.46238 W111.94421) and you can stop over for a couple of hours on your way to or from the airport. There is a wonderful restaurant on premises with a nice selection of offerings. Be aware that afternoons in Phoenix tend to be bright and hot with all that concrete around. I found that I got better results using either an ND8 or ND16 filters on my camera to stop it down a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't visit again next time we are in the area. There is a modest admission fee but parking is free.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My family loves coming here during the non-hot season. It is always so nice to escape the city within this beautiful garden!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Don't wait to visit this lovely garden! All forms of cacti are identified, but I focused on their unique beauty instead. Check out the website for information on flashlight nights when desert animals can also be seen. A great experience for all ages!

Helpful tips: Check online for discount coupons, and try to go very early or late in the day to avoid the worst heat, though this IS Arizona.