“garden walking” 5 of 5 bubbles

Desert Botanical Garden
Ranked #2 of 226 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in Papago Park, these gardens offer visitors an opportunity to learn about desert flora.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“garden walking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

a wonderful place to learn about the desert life and the plants that grow there. peaceful and a joy to walk through.

Visited February 2012

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Cactus forever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is another gem of the Phoenix area. Wonderfully laid out exhibits of the various plant life of the desert. Very informative but fun. Probably not best visited on a hot afternoon - they are open early and stay open late. Very unique botanical gardens.

Phoenix
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you want to walk around the true beauty of the desert landscape and learn a little bit about the indigenous tribes that live here this is the place to do it. Best times to visit are during spring and fall when the temperatures are in the 80s. If you are here in the spring they have flowering desert plants as well as the butterfly tent. Great for couples or a group.

Visited April 2012
West Melbourne, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Best Attraction in Phoenix Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I very much enjoyed my visit to the Desert Botanical Garden. I had read about this attraction in one of my travel books and felt it was a must see while in the Phoenix area. I arrived at the garden around noon and ended up staying until after 6. When I first arrived, I was disappointed to see the restaurant was not open yet and the gift shop was closed. I had not eaten yet so I was afraid there were not going to be any food/refreshment options. Fortunately, I saw that there was a cafe on the other side of the gardens. I made my way there first, and was a tad disappointed to see that all the selections were pre-made and I could not get anything without onions, however, the prickly pear tea was very refreshing and the views from the cafe were exceptional.

I hiked all the rest of the trails 1-2 times each. My favorite was the one that had elevation gains to allow you to see Camelback Mountain and the Red Rock Buttes from the top. I was astounded by all the different types of cactus and succulents. The garden has really done an exceptional job of labeling and caring for all the different types of plants. While I was there, the Butterfly Pavillion, Dio de las Meutros, Four Seasons, and Pumpkin Patch events were also going on in addition to the regular garden exhibits/trails. The butterfly pavillion was great; I captured some stunning detailed pictures of the flowers and butterflies. I also took some incredible pictures at sunset with the changing light and also some pictures by moonlight. I took an entire media card full of 720 high quality pictures and I definitely think it was some of my best photography. I thoroughly enjoyed this attraction.

I would definitely recommend tennis shoes. I saw so many people in flip flops and heels. I'm a flip flop kind of girl, but all the trails aside from the main trail, are not paved and there are some loose rocks. Sunscreen is a must (I reapplied twice while there), and even though there are refreshments available, I took a large bottle of water and refilled it. Even though it is not humid in Arizona and I had sunscreen on, I found myself drinking almost constantly while there. The park is very well though out and there are several shaded/sitting areas; however, some of the trails are in direct sunlight almost the entire time.

1 Thank Kayla W
Clintonville, Wisconsin
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“unique foiliage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Definitely worth it when visiting Phoenix! There are some wonderful trails and the displays are set up so beautifully. There were all kinds of volunteers working there, it shows how much the gardens mean to the community.

1 Thank Tleigh1969