“Excellent afternoon”

and up
Art and Wine Class in Scottsdale
Ranked #10 of 230 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest art museums in the Southwest, the museum houses a permanent collection of some 16,000 works of art spanning the centuries and also includes a popular miniatures collection and a "Please Touch" children's gallery.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Visited with my mum. We went on an afternoon when admission was by donation only and there was no set admission charge. Might save you a few dollars. As with the other reviewers I would recommend the dark room with the lights. There was also an exhibit on at the time of my visit showing the building on the bridge across Hoover Dam - very interesting. Well worth a visit when you are in Phoenix.

1  Thank elmcphee
There are newer reviews for Phoenix Art Museum

Reviewed December 24, 2011

Huge museum has something for everyone. Check out the dark room that is mirrored and hung with changing colored tiny lights.

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Odd collection but I've missed museums so much that we spent a couple hours there. Next week is to be a Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit - sorry that I won't get to see it.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Recently visited the Phoenix Art Museum, this place is worth the cost of admission. The exhibits are will put together.

My favorite exhibit was one that had l.e.d lights in a room with mirrors and was completely black accept for the l.e.d strings of lights. Upon entering the room you cannot determine where the entrance let alone exit is once you walk in. I had to feel my way forward to determine where the exit was. Its quite interesting to stand in there and see how the different color of lights effect what you see and how your eyes adjust to the light. Secondly, a limited engagement exhibit of photos from the Hoover Dam Bridge was quite amazing, seeing all of the work and sketchy heights they had to go through to build this bridge were amazing!

Dos:
Go during times that they conduct staff lead tours, this allows you to learn more about the exhibits and history of the museum. We unfortunately were not able to do one of these tours.

The museum offers free days to enter the museum as well as extended hours, visit the Phoenix Art Museum website to gain more up to date information on this.

Visit the Museum Gift Shop. There are many interesting items from books to actual art pieces that you can buy.

Dont's:
Well its hard to say if there is actually any Dont's. Don't believe there is any.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We have been to the art museum many times over the years, it always gets better.

The current cowboy exhibit is as usual good, even though it is not my cup of tea. One good thing, I saw an artist name that I recognize as being on one of our pieces at home. The difference between ours and the pieces in the museum is ours has no cowboys in it, just animals. But we will have to investigate.

The exhibit we went to see for the most part was, Extending the Runway Tatiana Sorokko Style. It did not disappoint at all.

Of course we also enjoyed the rest of the exhibits and Phoenix should be very happy with this venue