“Nice ride; bring your own food.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)

Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)
phoenix
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice ride; bring your own food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I went for the ride plus dinner at the T-bone. The ride, horses, and guides were nice we really enjoyed ourselves. But then we got to the T-bone..... Folk do yourself a favor and eat before you go! What a horrible dinning experience. The salad bar consisted of cold canned green beans and packaged lettuce; yep that's it. Then the baked beans and bread came out, I wouldn't feed that slop to my dog. We though we would be safe by ordering the cheeseburger but they found a way to destroy that. The service was bad as well. We had a grumpy waitress who's only concern was getting done with as quickly as possible so she could go in the back and have the bus boy massage her shoulders. Bad all the way around.

We recommend the ride but leave the dinner out!!

2 Thank dcurtfly

houston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great ride for my grandaughter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

I used to live in phoenix over 20 yrs ago. rode everyweekend back in those days at these stables, of which there used to be three! Now I reside diff state, own my own horses to ride, but wanted to revisit the riding terrain of south mountain. I brought my never been on a horse grandaughter (7) and never been on a horse and had no desire to son (29). I knew it was only going to be a nose to tail walk, but I understand why it has to be that way. If someone has ever even been on the back of a horse, they might tell you they know how to "ride". Horseback riding is a dangerous sport (I can attest to that), so I appreciated the extra care they now take with safety at the stable. I really appreciated Casey (trail guide) gave xtra attention to my grandaughter who was in the front of the ride. He basically rode sitting backwards the majority of the way, always checking on her, talking to her telling her what/how to do it. Even my son remarked how cool it was to be out there on the horses going up and down, thru ravines etc. Made me smile as I'd spent many a mile in those mountains riding years ago. I also want to point out I was very impressed wiht the upkeep of the animals, you can tell from thier shiny coats and grooming that they take care of these horses. Not something i see from some regular horse owners, let alone a large facilty like this. Hats off to you guys! Thanks to all for making our fathers day weekend in Phoenix one my grandaughter who lives here will remember! She even wants to take lessons now, AND told her mom she wants to ride again here'! debbie g

1 Thank debbg
Houston, TX
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Mixed Reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2008

This is a great place... IF

1. If you are a beginner or have small children in your group.
2. If you time your ride so that your group will be small (less than 10 riders)

VERY IMPORTANT - Do NOT go on a weekend, and try to be there for either the first or last ride of the day.

They were a perfect place for my sister (who had been frightened by "trail rides" in college) and her young children - when my niece was 4 they let her ride double w/ me.

Otherwise - as the previous reviewer said, you will end up with a group so large that the whole ride amounts to waiting for either the people in front or behind.

When we were part of a small group - they were very patient w/ us, allowed us to be lined up together, and yet everyone was mounted and on the trail very quickly. They even took our group photo under the sign w/ multiple cameras!

When I brought my niece and nephew between the holidays closer to lunchtime - the group was about 15, most people couldn't control their horses (young adults who were constantly going off the path or running into other horses), some of those young adults (3 or 4 of them) were between me and the kids, and there was no offer to take pics after.

Between that experience and the fact that I think the kids are ready to try some trotting, I will be taking them somewhere else this year. Maybe over near the Superstitions or Ft McDowell.

El Mirage
“Stellar time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

I have taken my nephew out there yearly for the last 3 years. He started going at 6 and every time the host rider was out standing making it all it could be for him. I highly recommend this establishment ... they are fantastic and of course because they are is why we go back every year.

Fort Myers, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“You gotta do this!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

My wife and 14 yr old daughter did the Dinner Sunset ride - they loved it. They both had only been on a horse 1 or 2 times before - but it was an easy ride. We showed up at the stables - about 20 minutes from downtown Phoenix - about 1 hour before the ride was to start. The trail guide was very helpful and nice - they paired them with a horse of their riding skill level - then gave them some instructions - and off they went. They have a very strict policy of being 12 yrs old or over for the night ride - My son is 11, so we just met them at the steakhouse. My wife and daughter rode through the mountains as the sun set for about 1 hour while me and my son drove to the steakhouse (about a 10 minute drive). The steakhouse is cool - it's open to the public and the menu is simple - different cuts of steak, some fish, some chicken - family style beans, etc. - and a simple lettuce salad bar. Tables are polished picnic style with table cloths. There is a full bar with limited top-shelf. The food was awesome - and I'm sure the atmosphere made it taste even better. After about 1 1/2 hrs eating, my wife and daughter mounted up and rode back to the stables in the dark. They loved it - the highlight of my daughters trip to AZ!

gave them about a

1 Thank Katsandcards_8

Travelers who viewed Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables) also viewed

Been to Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)? Share your experiences!