Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I suppose whenever you offer to allow someone with no riding experience the opportunity to climb on the back of one of your horses that drama and excitement should not be the expectation. If sitting on the back of a horse that drives itself, nose to tail with the horse in front of you, in a long dusty line of other horses for an hour or so this is for you. The folks were nice, the horses seemed well cared for, and the scenery and view from the ride were slower and perhaps a lot closer to native sand, rocks and vegetation than a car ride through the desert. If you like to ride and are experienced, this is not for you. If you are a little afraid of what riding a horse may be like, but always wanted to try it, this is a good place to start for you.

2  Thank Jerry W
"amazing experience"
"beautiful scenery"
"year olds"

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We did the T-bone dinner ride. The ride itself was amazing. You ride through the desert for an hour while the sunsets, eat dinner and then take the hour long ride back in the dark under the stars. The sights are breathtaking. You have to do this if you are in the Phoenix area it was definitely the highlight of our trip and an unforgettable experience. The staff are all super nice and friendly and there to answer any questions. It's great for all riding levels, if you are a beginner they do their best to make you feel comfortable.
I personally didn't like the restaurant at all. I thought the food was overpriced for the quality. My steak was undercooked and extremely bland. The "salad bar" is just lettuce with a bunch of different dressing options. Next time, we would skip the dinner ride and just do the sunset, or not order dinner. I can't hold that against the stable though, so for them 5's all across the board!!!!

1  Thank ashleydg13
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I already filled out the survey but wanted to more personally respond to it! I brought my 8 yr old daughter to the stables on January 16 for a 10 am ride with Dave!!! It was an absolutely fantastic experience! We have been to a variety of other stables across the US and haven't had near the customer care that we experienced at your ranch! From the online booking to speaking with your front desk attendant to arriving and being greeted by an amazing team of wranglers cowboys etc!!! My daughter was apprehensive but the very nice female wrangler made her feel confident and safe(thank you). Then we began our ride with Dave who once again assured Mackinley by leading her horse until she felt comfortable. Once he felt she was ok he asked if she wanted to try it alone and by then she was good to go!!! He was so kind and knowledgeable and seemed to really care what my daughter was telling him. It was very sweet! We really wished we had booked a longer tour with him! We will definitely be back the next time we are in the Phoenix area as we are from Rosslyn Ontario Canada! I have included a picture feel free to use it!! ;) and pass along to Dave. Thank you so much for such a great experience!!

1  Thank neelysam
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The horseback ride, along with the view was amazing. The staff was friendly and professional. The steakhouse food was poor, not good quality food. Take the horseback ride without the dinner

See more reviews
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is the 4th time that I have been on this particular horseback riding experience. The first was with coworkers and we had a great time. The next, I took my granddaughter as a birthday gift and she and I had a great time. The next, I took my daughter and her boyfriend. They loved it as well. The 4th time was just this past weekend and I took another granddaughter as a Christmas gift. She had such a good time, never stopped smiling and was disappointed that it had to end. The staff were fun, entertaining and made the experience very comfortable for first time riders. The horses are beautiful and well kept. They match up the rider to the appropriate size horse and temperament. And after 4 trips, I would go again in a heartbeat and will be taking other grandchildren as they get older. (I'm in my 60's, by the way.) This is about a 1 and 1/2 hour trip through South Mountain at sunset to a Cowboy Steak House for about an hour. Delicious food, but a little bit on the expensive side. Then an hour or so back in the dark, but the view is delicious and the horses know the way. Another visitor described the trail as difficult and dangerous. This is what horses do. They have the skill and ability to traverse the terrain and if one wanted just to ride a horse around a smooth surface in a field type environment, there is probably one available. This ride in an fun and exciting experience, a roller coaster ride, per se, versus a merry-go-round. Just saying. I also need to experience the breakfast ride one of these times.

2  Thank Teresa B

Travelers who viewed Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables) also viewed

Phoenix, Central Arizona

Been to Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)? Share your experiences!