“Sunset T-bone Horseback Riding. Fun for all!”

Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is the 4th time that I have been on this particular horseback riding experience. The first was with coworkers and we had a great time. The next, I took my granddaughter as a birthday gift and she and I had a great time. The next, I took my daughter and her boyfriend. They loved it as well. The 4th time was just this past weekend and I took another granddaughter as a Christmas gift. She had such a good time, never stopped smiling and was disappointed that it had to end. The staff were fun, entertaining and made the experience very comfortable for first time riders. The horses are beautiful and well kept. They match up the rider to the appropriate size horse and temperament. And after 4 trips, I would go again in a heartbeat and will be taking other grandchildren as they get older. (I'm in my 60's, by the way.) This is about a 1 and 1/2 hour trip through South Mountain at sunset to a Cowboy Steak House for about an hour. Delicious food, but a little bit on the expensive side. Then an hour or so back in the dark, but the view is delicious and the horses know the way. Another visitor described the trail as difficult and dangerous. This is what horses do. They have the skill and ability to traverse the terrain and if one wanted just to ride a horse around a smooth surface in a field type environment, there is probably one available. This ride in an fun and exciting experience, a roller coaster ride, per se, versus a merry-go-round. Just saying. I also need to experience the breakfast ride one of these times.

2  Thank Teresa B
"amazing experience"
"beautiful scenery"
"year olds"

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Brought my younger siblings and cousins to the Sunset Ride and had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly and insured the ride was smooth for everyone. The kids really enjoyed their time and loved that they got to see a pack of coyotes howling. There was a very nice volunteer named Calvin that had a great sense of humor and sweet temperament about him. He made the ride easy and assured the young ones they were going to be fine. For those of us from Kansas City it was beautiful scenery. (:

1  Thank Leah A
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Took the Sunset Dinner ride with friends, and about 14 other people also rode this ride. About 1 and ahalf hours getting to the steakhouse, another hour to eat, and another 1 and a half hours in reverse to get back to the stable.

For the first 20 minutes, the ground was very fine sand which made the air so dusty, we were going through clouds of dust. The rest of the ride was very rocky, for the horse, which made it rocky for me. Sharp rocks over 5" diameter everywhere, i mean everywhere. Some steep cliffs too, which isn't a good combo. Other horses too had trouble with the path and slipped on rocks, but I could tell that mine was pretty bad, probably the pain of doing the trip almost daily. With each step, it was falling forward, and I was bouncing around. Yet at the same time with the pain, the horse wanted to get the ride over with, so it was trying to go fast. All the horses have to go in a straight line, but my horse would rather get kicked in the face for being up the butt of the horse in front, then have this ride be any slower. My friends said that their horses was exactly the same.

Also, halfway thru each leg of the trip, everyone has to pass over a pitch dark road, no lights or warning for cars that had to stop suddenly for a bunch of slow horses. Very dangerous, I saw a car speeding fast on that road a minute before the leader horse got near. We also had to go along the side of a road for a few minutes right before getting to the Steakhouse, but it was quiet and lit much better.

The owners should take a few days and walk the path and remove all the big rocks that make this ride pure torture for the horses. My horse had problems with the path, my friends' did, and at least a few others also.

I do have to say, though, that the T-Bone steakhouse was great, great food and prices. And the views of the city of Phoenix at night during the ride were really nice.

What would have been a wonderful ride was made bad because of the condition of the path. Happy horses make happy riders!!

3  Thank VisitToOz
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My daughter and I chose the 1 hour trail ride at 9am. It was a beautiful ride and the horses were well behaved. The wrangler had great people skills and was able to have conversations with no problem with us. He made it a personal experience which was appreciated, never felt uncomfortable. The price was reasonable and we were able to book on the internet the day before the ride which was very nice!

Definitely will return for a longer ride next time! I Suggest anyone who wants to see beautiful scenery from the top of very well behaved horses give this stable a try, they do it right!

As a horse owner it is important to me to see that the horses look healthy and these horses were beautiful!

1  Thank bridgedrn