Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)
Arvada, Colorado
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Kind of a mess.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had booked our trail ride a month in advance and the morning of our ride we were called and told that we needed to come later, because 2 of the workers didn't show up. So we came later and our 2 hour ride ended up being a very disappointing 45 minute dusty ride. Plus they made us wait another hour before even starting out. I think they were too busy with spring breakers, but Donny the owner should have turned people away instead of taking everyone who walked up without a reservation. This place might be OK during a slower time. Donny did refund us for the hour we didn't get, but the family that paid by paypal wasn't as lucky. Be warned!

5 Thank TravelGirl80004

green bay
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“T-Bone Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I signed up for the Dusk Dinner Ride on 3/11. When making the reservation we were told to be there no later than 5. We arrived at around 440 and were greated by a friendly cowboy who introduced himself and took care of collecting our money and filling out brief liability paperwork. There were a bunch of horses tied up and ready to go. Then we seemed to sit and sit and sit. I was starting to get disapointed that we wouldn't leave until after it was dark and I really wanted to be able to see the scenery. During this time there was no communication as to when we would get going. A few people continued to filter in well after 5 but finally we were assigned horses and were on our way a bit after 530pm.

Once horses were assigned there were quite a few cowboys who helped everyone get on thier horse and introduced you to your horse by name (although I wonder if they made the names up on the spot as they didn't seem to really know the names). We were then told to fall in line. Almost everyone in our group was beginners so we had no clue how to stear our horses or get them to move. Everyone seemed to have their struggles but were quickly atteneded to by the professional staff. I would HIGHLY recomend THEM giving a brief riding lesson PRIOR to people getting on thier horse. The good news is the horses are obviously well trained and well behaved so even with the lack of any training / guidance they were easy to control and I never felt unsafe.

Our ride consisted of roughly 14 people with a guide at the front (believe Doug who was friendly) and a guide at the back (not sure his name but he wasn't a very friendly fellow). Both guides seemed very knowledgeable on horse riding and the area and quickly attenended to anyones needs that arose during the ride. Riding at dusk was great. The mountainous dessert terrain was beautiful as we trecked to the restaurant. I was very impressed on how the horses performed and actually at times got bored as I wanted to make my horse do more. The scenery was amazing and after about 1.25 hours we arrived at the restaurant.

The resteraunt was in a great location overlooking the city of Phoenix. The country decor was perfect for the journey we were embarking on. Price was a little high but not bad for the value and we both enjoyed our meal. Once everyone had concluded eating it was time to hop back on our horses.

When getting on the horses for our return trip it was pitch black. Once leaving the streets leading to the resteraunt you were off into nature once again. You could here all sorts of animals and we even saw a few coyotes. The veiw of the city lights twinkling in the distance below was pretty however I preffered the sights of the mountains, scrub brush, and cactus you could see during day light.

Upon getting back to the ranch the cowboys got everyone off there horse one by one. It felt odd that after spending 4 hours together there was no "closing presentationt" you simply got off your horse and left.

OVERALL: EXCELLENT VALUE for the money, we really enjoyed our trip and would do it again. the restaurant was good, the scenery was beuatiful, and the horses were very well behaved and trained. The experience could have been improved with a brief Welcome and riding orientation at the beginning and a closing any questions thank you type presentation at the end.

4 Thank travelbumdrew
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Dinner Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I went on the dinner ride last Friday evening, everything from the horses, wranglers, dinner, and scenery was way above par. Riding back to the stables after dinner in the dark seeing the city lights was an awesome experience. Can't wait until a return trip to do it all again.

1 Thank Mark L
Uxbridge, Massachusetts, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Grumpy Horse and Wrangler for Daughter.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

But I had a great ride and my horse was fine. The scenery was great. 10 year old son had never ridden before and he enjoyed it as well.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Sean S
Detroit, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a ride!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My Family & I were fortunate enough to find this wonderful Gem of Stables. I have owned horses and I have to say how impressed I was with this operation. All levels of riders are welcome and the horses are well trained & taken care of. We took the Sunset & T-Bone dinner ride & I could not have been more pleased. Our wrangler Donnie was entertaining and very knowledgeable and always aware of everyone's safety. The ride itself was beautiful and lots of fun our teenage daughters were even impressed! We definitely felt we got our moneys worth!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank stacy436

Travelers who viewed Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables) also viewed

Been to Arizona Horses (Ponderosa Stables and South Mountain Stables)? Share your experiences!