“Fantastic tour”

Small-Group Deluxe Grand Canyon and Sedona Day Trip
Ranked #3 of 54 Tours in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: DETOURS is the premier tour company providing professionally guided experiences of the American West. We offer day and multi-day scheduled tours that regularly depart from Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV. Any of our scheduled tours can be made private. For a more customized experience, our Platinum tours let guests build a custom itinerary to fit their desires. With guided tours to the Grand Canyon, other National Parks, and many more incredible southwestern destinations, DETOURS can take you and your group just about anywhere in the West. We promise a personalized experience to remember. The combination of our professional guides, custom tour vehicles, individualized service, and vibrant attitude creates a highly personalized and exciting touring experience for each of our guests. Our mission is to treat our guests to the best experiences in the American West!
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I have been planning a trip to Arizona for the last 12 months, and finally got here. I wanted to include a trip to the Grand Canyon, but didn't want to drive all the way (we were staying in Phoenix). Anyway, to cut a long story short, it was magical and I want to thank Memo, our guide, who was superb. He knew everything from flora and fauna to the history of the American Natives through to the geography and the eco system of the canyon. Well done Detours, well worth the money - and good luck Anne who was learning on the job.

Just remember to pack plenty of film. You will need it:)

There are newer reviews for DETOURS of Arizona

997 - 1,001 of 1,059 reviews

Reviewed September 14, 2010

Our DeTours driver saw himself as a showman, gesturing wildly and taking his eyes off the road to face anyone who asked a question--all the while with one or both hands off the wheel at highway speeds. Mind you we were in a van, in high crosswinds, in stretches where animal warning and rock slide signs were frequent, and he was towing a baggage trailer. All that adds up to a very squirrelly package if a deer or boulder pops into the road and a van goes into a panic stop. At one point his clip-on mike didn't work so he held it with one hand while waving his other hand to illustrate his stories. At other times he drove with coffee or a sandwich in one hand while gesturing with the other. I am not posting my photos (yet) because I don't want him fired but I DO want this company to review its safety policies.

3  Thank KeenObserver34
DetoursofArizona, Owner at DETOURS of Arizona, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2010

We appreciate guest feedback and regret that any of our guests have the kind of experience that you described. I understand that I cannot change the actions or your feelings on that tour. Considering the big picture, DETOURS has operated daily tours to Grand Canyon for the last 9 years and has helped thousands of guests safely enjoy their tour without incident.
I can guarantee you that your experience was unusual and is not an indication of a pattern of unsafe or irresponsible behavior.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

This tour was EVERYTHING promotional material stated. The tour vehicle a clean comfortable custom van, flexible schedule adjusted to the specific groups preferences, a wonderful driver, Brady. Flexible photo opportunities, and comfort stops. The driver's attention to passenger & site detail were wonderful. This tour is worth every penny. I hope your trip is as enjoyable as mine.
Karen
Michigan

Reviewed August 16, 2010

I took a day trip with Detours to the Grand Canyon in July with Brady. He did a phenomenal job with our group. Brady was extremely knowledgeable and professional, making the day special and memorable for all of us. I would definitely recommend Detours for a day tour of the Canyon.

Reviewed August 13, 2010

Based on the reviews here, my wife and I signed up. We travel extensively and this is the worst tour we have ever taken. Our guide was the root cause: he did not speak up at all , could hardly hear him even though I was sitting right next to him (passengers at the back of the van also complained); he did not seem knowledgeable at all about the area, w/ odd remarks; and of greatest concern: SAFETY!!! constantly fidgeting with his tour paperwork/lists and cell phone while driving through some challenging roads. This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and against the law, especially when you are offering a service to the public. He also never offered water bottles to the group until 20 min from the return hotel drop-off when someone asked if he could stop for water. It turns out he had it all along in a cooler box right next to him near the driver's seat - I guess forgot to hand them out. He also totally lacked leadership skills, constantly losing control of some selfish tourists in our tour group of 12. Two particular people in the tour would repeatdely not return to the tour van at the requested time - very frustrating. As a business, you don't want to be discourteous to guests, but the guide is responsible for setting the tone and ultimately need to care about all our guests. It's called LEADERSHIP. This tour made for a very unpleasant stressful day. Too bad!

3  Thank Mozsacan
DetoursofArizona, Public Relations Manager at DETOURS of Arizona, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

We take all feedback very seriously. This is not a reflection of how our company normally does business and we can assure all future guests that these issues had been resolved quite some time ago. Thank you.