“The best vacation decision we could have ever made was to see The Grand Canyon with Detours.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Detours of Arizona

Small-Group Tour: Deluxe Phoenix and Scottsdale Day Trip
Ranked #3 of 53 Tours in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: DETOURS is the premier tour company providing professionally guided experiences of the American West. We offer day and multi-day scheduled tours that regularly depart from Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV. Any of our scheduled tours can be made private. For a more customized experience, our Platinum tours let guests build a custom itinerary to fit their desires. With guided tours to the Grand Canyon, other National Parks, and many more incredible southwestern destinations, DETOURS can take you and your group just about anywhere in the West. We promise a personalized experience to remember. The combination of our professional guides, custom tour vehicles, individualized service, and vibrant attitude creates a highly personalized and exciting touring experience for each of our guests. Our mission is to treat our guests to the best experiences in the American West!
Columbus, OH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

We recently returned from a trip to Arizona during which the highlight of our trip was the excursion to the Grand Canyon by way of Sedona with Detours. Kurt Robinson was our guide for the day and I can only say that on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest rating, Kurt was a 10. From the moment he picked us up at the hotel until the time he dropped us off, we felt at ease and comfortable and knew we would have an outstanding day. We cannot stop telling friends about our experience and have recommended your services to multiple people since we have returned. We tell them specifically to ask for Kurt. He is an amazing historian and we feel that our child had not only a good time, but a living academic experience that he will remember the rest of his life.

We felt like we were traveling with friends and not on a purchased tour. Kurt thank you again for all that you did to make our trip to Arizona one of the best vacations we have ever had.

Tina, Jim and Drew Davidson

PS: Kurt, could you contact the other family that shared our tour and find out if their daughter accidentally kept some of our son's Nintendo DS games? We never could find them. Thank you

3 Thank travelingfnp

China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Arizona, Dream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

Last November, we went to Scottsdale to atend a convention, and it ended at the noon, half day left, and the next day, we had to fly to Vegas. So we took one friend’s suggestion to join some travel group. The hotel travel agency contacted “DETOURS” for us, and Kurt Robinson was our travel guide.
The first time I knew Arizona because of a film named “Arizona Dream”. So I was so glad that finally I can touch my dream.
Our travel guide is nice man. First, he explained us the history of this PHIX. He stopped sometimes to show us some special location, or lovely birds. That’s how I knew LEE house and Road runner.
As the Hotel we stayed located in old town Scottsdale, we were already familiar with the city. So after one hour city tour, we asked Kurt if he could show us some local desert. Usually, the Half day tour is just for City tour, but Kurt said Yes to us without any doubt. He’s glad that we love the nature. So he took us to some local desert along the APACHE. We also visited a Ghost Village, an abandoned gold mine, which is near a mystery montain which Kurt adores a lot. It’s a wild area, where I saw saguaros which is almost fourfoldof my height. Of course we took some wonderful photos.
On the way back, we talked a lot. Kurt loves french film, as my major in university is french, so I also saw a lot french films. We are Chinese, he’s american, and I really want to know the opinion of different people regarding the same thing. Kurt is very patient to explain.
Anyway I love Arizona, where I see beautiful sunset, saguaro, and friendly people. I will come again one day.

5 Thank atomne
columbus,ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The Grand Canyon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

In January, 2009, while in Phoenix again for a Bowl game featuring The Ohio State University, I was fortunate for the second time in 3 years to book a Grand Canyon day tour with Detours.
The tour on both occasions was awesome. I highly recommend the tour that included a side trip to Sedona, lunch at the Reservation and the greatest of all gifts: The Grand Canyon.
If you book this tour, call ahead with your itinerary and be sure to request Kurt Robinson as your Guide. Kurt is extremely knowledgeable, courteous and professional. His narration and historical insights make for a very memorable experience.
I would like to book a tour down to the Canyon floor and to some other Arizona and Western spots with Kurt.
I travel for a living and I have visited most states, but, this tour is among my very favorites. While car rental and self-guided tours are an option, the luxury of riding with a safe driver and being able to take in all of the beautiful scenery is the only way to go.
The vans and small group size is very manageable and allows for a lot of interaction among the group.
Excellent, A+++
Jim Underwood
Columbus, Ohio

4 Thank renaissanceman_9
Baltimore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great 8-day Grand Circle Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

Six of us just returned from an 8-day, custom tour of the Grand Circle. Jeff Slade, one of the owners of DeTours, constructed a private tour that included Monument Valley, Arches, Capital Reef Nat'l Park, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Valley of the Goblins, and North and South Rim of Grand Canyon (including helicopter ride).

We had a great guide -- Kurt -- who beautifully managed 8 days on the road with 6 middle-aged+ women. He tailored our activities to a variety of physical needs and capabilities, and he built in lots of off-the-beaten path activities that we would never have discovered on our own.

We had nice accommodations and just a grand time. The van we traveled in was very comfortable, clean, well-equipped, and proved a very nice way to travel, even on long days of driving required to cover a lot of ground.

During planning, Jeff was a real pleasure to deal with -- he was attentive, responsive, funny, and fun. He made many great recommendations and listened carefully to build a truly memorable trip for us. And then Kurt got in touch a few days before and fine-tuned the trip further.

We all felt exceedingly well cared for, and we deeply appreciated our guide's care and patience, even on really long days of driving. Kurt was patient, good-natured, attentive and responsive, knowledgeable and informative, and quite obviously enjoyed his job.

During planning, we all thought that DeTours was a bit pricey, esp since the price did not include many activities, and no meals, but we went with them because they offered what we were looking for. By the end of the trip, we all thought we got fair and good value for the price.

DeTours showed us a beautiful part of the country in a way and on a level that we would never have done on our own. We were thrilled with the trip.

3 Thank MB_Baltimore
Culver City, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Plush, Pleasant and Pristine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

I've traveled alone, with my honey, and I've even done a few group tours, where throngs of people clamor for optimum viewing conditions inside cramped busses with uncomfortable seats.

And then I went on a Detours adventure. Over several days, we covered quite a bit of Arizona terrain, dipping into Monument Park, Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and several destinations along the way. I was so impressed with these vans, the hospitality of the company, and their knowledge of the surrounding areas. Seats were plush leather, and easily took the hazards of the road with the greatest of ease.

I've now discovered the joys of traveling with a smaller group of people, and thanks to Detours, I obtained a very intimate experience of Arizona and it's pristine beauty.

I wish this company operated overseas, as I'd definitely look into traveling with them for some of my international excursions. Comfort and familiarity really count when I'm making my travel plans.

3 Thank grathy