“Great day at the Grand Canyon”
Review of DETOURS of Arizona

Small-Group Tour: Deluxe Phoenix and Scottsdale Day Trip
Ranked #3 of 54 Tours in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: DETOURS is the premier tour company providing professionally guided experiences of the American West. We offer day and multi-day scheduled tours that regularly depart from Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV. Any of our scheduled tours can be made private. For a more customized experience, our Platinum tours let guests build a custom itinerary to fit their desires. With guided tours to the Grand Canyon, other National Parks, and many more incredible southwestern destinations, DETOURS can take you and your group just about anywhere in the West. We promise a personalized experience to remember. The combination of our professional guides, custom tour vehicles, individualized service, and vibrant attitude creates a highly personalized and exciting touring experience for each of our guests. Our mission is to treat our guests to the best experiences in the American West!
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
“Great day at the Grand Canyon”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were picked up right on schedule to a very friendly guide william. Off we went first to Sedona for a too brief visit then off to the canyon. Along the way william our guide was very knowledgeable of the history and landscape around us. We had ample time at the canyon to enjoy the beautiful sites. All in all was a great day!

Visited May 2014
DetoursofArizona, Public Relations Manager at DETOURS of Arizona, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your DETOURS trip with William. He is a favorite and I'll make sure to share your review with him! We try to give our guests as much time as possible at the Grand Canyon and therefore, the Sedona stop is brief. We'd love to take you there next time you are in town, as we also offer Sedona Day Tours! We are thankful you chose DETOURS and are so happy you loved your day!

Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I was also on the may 11 trip to sedona and grand canyon”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I knew that there was going to be a short stop in Sedona....due to the fact that you can only spend so much time in a day trip, this was explained to me when I made the reservation. I found that the guide Larry was wonderful and very informative. it was sometimes hard to hear everything due to the fact that there were some extremely rude people in the back that apparently had their own agenda and were obviously not used to taking escorted tours. Being a tour manager myself, I am very interested in learning as much as I can about the area where I am travelling to. These types of people who are not interested in anything should rent a car and go by themselves. I loved the stop at the Cameron Trading post. I have stopped there many times and really enjoy it everytime I get a chance to stop there. I will take trips with this company again. the van was comfortable and Larry was delightful. It would have been more pleasant if there had been a more travel savy people on the tour.

1 Thank marka d
DetoursofArizona, Public Relations Manager at DETOURS of Arizona, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this wonderful review of your DETOURS Grand Canyon Tour! We are so happy you enjoyed Larry and his vast arsenal of knowledge, as well as our visit to Cameron and Sedona. We would love the opportunity to tour you again next time you are in AZ or NV. Thank you again for sharing this review!
Weiden, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Learned a lot but”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My mom and I literally just came home from our very long detours day trip to "Sedona, the Grand Canyon and A Navajo Village." Let me share some of the fascinating facts we learned from our talkative guide, Larry:
-He prefers navel oranges to valencia oranges
-Apparently, lemon ricotta pancakes are good
-Deserts are hot and dry
-Omelets are good
-Steel cut oats are different, and he prefers them
-Scottsdale apparently has an attitude
-He enjoys the "soft muted pink colors" of the desert
-Fluoride in the water made dentists happy
-He's a real conservative
-He can spot a Mormon child as she leaves school
-Taxes

If any of this sounds useful, then you should definitely, absolutely, a 100% sign up for Larry's tour. Did I mention it was 13 hours of nonsensical ramblings? Great!
Did I mention the vans have EXCELLENT microphone systems that broadcast every word your guide cares to share with you for the listening pleasure (or perhaps, displeasure) of all passengers? Now I did!

This was the only way for us to see all the major sites in a short period of time, and it did accomplish this task more or less. Sedona is more of a pit stop where you drive past a lot of the rock formations and then see a few from afar, which is completely fine given the schedule required to GET to the Grand Canyon, but be aware of this before booking. Also, don't count on being terribly mesmerized by the Navajo trading post/gas station. The views from the Grand Canyon were beautiful, because you know, it is the Grand Canyon after all. The only reason this wasn't ranked lower for me is simply because the Grand Canyon was spectacular and I enjoyed seeing it. Larry's infuriating, exasperating, exhausting, irrelevant commentary? Clearly, not so much.

Hope our experience helps others plan theirs accordingly.

1 Thank RachelS1328
DetoursofArizona, Public Relations Manager at DETOURS of Arizona, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor. Larry has been guiding tours for 22 years and has been with DETOURS for 13 years. In those 13 years, we have only received positive reviews of his guiding services. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy his hospitality, but as the saying goes, "Different strokes for different folks." We do appreciate you choosing DETOURS to show you the amazing Grand Canyon and we are certainly glad you enjoyed those sights. Thank you.
Ashmore, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Detours Best Tour Group”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Recently I went from Phoenix to Las Vegas with Detours seeing many sites of the Grand Canyon. All my guides were perfect with the extra length they went and the knowledge of the area and able to be entertaining for us all. They are a small group tours company and believe me you will not regret going with them. Thank you Forrest for helping me put the tours together - such a great team of guides.

Visited April 2014
DetoursofArizona, Public Relations Manager at DETOURS of Arizona, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful review of your DETOURS trip! We are so glad you enjoyed your tour guides and the overall experience! And thank you for recognizing Forrest, as he is extremely helpful as our operations manager! We hope you join us on another adventure next time you are in AZ or NV!
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Sedona Grand Canyon Trip”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Me and my girlfriend had a simply unbelievable experience with tour guides Les Graff on May 6th return trip and the Guide Robert whose last name we forgot also was exceptional on the way up to the Grand Canyon and Sedona on May 5. These guys were both very entertaining and informative. The ride was very comfortable, and the tips on things to do were also exceptional. If you want to go on tour, this company is one of the best I have ever went with, and I would recommend them anyone at anytime

Visited May 2014
Thank you so much for this phenomenal review! Les and Robert have been with DETOURS for years and we never get tired of hearing how pleased their guests are! We are so glad you were comfortable in our vans and entertained by the tour and your guides! We'd love to tour you again next time you are in AZ or NV! Thank you for choosing DETOURS!