“Lovely Accomodations at Cibola Vista”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cibola Vista

Cibola Vista
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Peoria
Taylors, South Carolina
“Lovely Accomodations at Cibola Vista”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

My brother and sister-in-law joined us for a week at Cibola Vista at the end of May. We were ready for the adventure, but not the heat! Most days were in the upper 90s to lower 100s. That was hard coming from the Mid Atlantic where we had had two days of frost before we left.

Yes, there are large stores close by, but not right next to the complex. It made it convenient to buy groceries at the Super Target just a couple of mile down the road.

The accomodations were quite nice. I had asked to be on the top floor so that we wouldn't have noise over us. Booking through Interval International didn't get us the penthouse apartments. We were told that they try to put the families with children on the first floors. Friday night of our stay we found out that they don't really mean that. We had running races and very heavy walking above far too late into the evening. In another building there were at least six small children on the balcony on the fourth floor. In talking with the front desk about the noise on Friday night they told us to call the front desk and they would send some up to the apartment and ask them to be quiet. It they had to go out a second time the guests would be asked to leave. I seriously doubt that. We didn't put that to a test. Saturday night we changed to the bedroom that my brother vacated and the noise wasn't as bad.

The apartments were nicely decorated in darker tones. The lights won't blind you, but that makes for a cooler atmosphere. You can go out on the balcony to get stronger light. The thing I found puzzling was why they use too small of a top sheet for the mattress. We struggled most every night trying to keep it tucked in on the sides. We certainly put the washer and dryer to work.

Our toilet stopped up and it took three calls to have someone come fix it. It wasn't until my husband offered to come get the plunger that someone came. Fortunately we had a two bedroom so there was another toilet that we could use. Other than that, we found the staff very friendly and helpful

The kitchen was well-equipped with everything we needed. I did alert the front office that we were missing a couple of spoons and a glass. I didn't want to get charged for those items. They brought the spoons but not the glass. I'm surprised that the refrigerator didn't have an icemaker. The trays froze pretty quickly so we did OK after the first day.

The grounds were very well kept. We thought that it was a very attractive complex. Both pools were well maintained.

We sat at the adult pool two afternoons. The second time we had children come in. The first time, the lady working at the bar came over and asked them to leave. Another couple at the bar had two small girls and they were allowed to stay with their parents as they drank at the bar. A couple brought in their teenage daughter and a younger child. The children played in the pool and weren't asked to leave. If it is an adult pool area- then it needs to stay that way. They need to work on that.

The slide at the children's pool was great. The restriction was for those over 4' tall and under 300 pounds so we went down several times. CV has changed to salt water for the pools so be prepared.

All in all it was a nice stay for our sightseeing in Arizona. Would we go back, probably not, just because there are so many other places and things to see elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

We set up our stay at the Cibola Vista resort using the timehare exchange process at Interval International.
At this facility, there were timeshare customers and hotel customers. As timeshare customers, we felt we were treated very well by the front desk staff and concierge.
Our unit was a 1 bedroom 'master' unit on the 4th floor. Before booking you may want to take a look at their website and be sure what kind of room you're going to get. We were really happy with the unit we got, as it was a pretty good size with a wonderful balcony. We requested the upper most floor so that wouldn't have to listen to noisy people jumping on the floor above our heads.
The lock-off unit next door was occupied. Unfortunately, we could hear conversation and the TV in the unit next door. Thin walls and noisy neighbors are epidemic at many hotels/resorts. This was my only beef with our room. Our 1 bedroom unit was decorated and furnished luxuriously. The countertops in the kitchen area are granite. The carpet was in good condition. The bed in the master bedroom was very comfortable and was accessorized with good quality linens and pillows. Generally there is a very upscale feel about our unit and the whole 2nd phase of this resort. Note, the building we were in was in the 2nd phase of this resort and was opened for business in early 2008 (probably a year before this writing).
We were treated courteously by the resort staff (front desk, concierge, maintenance techs). There is a washer/dryer combo in the 1 bedroom unit, that was awesome! If you're staying a week or more, that is a real convenience. Our washer had a problem and we called for maintenance. A maintenance guy came out quickly and looked and said that they would only be able to repair it the next day (as it turned out it wasn't fixed the next day, but it was fixed eventually).
We stayed a week. For timeshare customers, there is one day of housekeeping (Wednesdays) available. Housekeeping was as expected, as they provided new towels, soaps, and cleaning.
As noted in other reviews, the staff were a bit on the young side, especially the front desk.
The resort's Franciscan Cafe was not a cafe. It was a bar with stools for seating, no tables, and they served some very basic food at the bar. Don't go too close to closing time, because you will likely get a chilly (read, rude) response from the staff (who seemed to be in a hurry to close up and call it a day and viewed our party with a bit of disdain). I would think the resort would be embarassed to call this area a 'cafe'.
The resort offered various activities that were interesting. There was a stargazing activity one night and a cowboy cookout on another. They have a horse stable onsite, but we didn't get a chance to check that out. The pool is a pretty good size, and the water slide is great! There is an adults only pool in the other part (phase 1) of the resort that doesn't have a waterslide.
The resort is situated in a remote area, not close to other attractions or restaurants. But the roads are good in Phoenix. You'll definitely need a car to get from the resort over to any restaurants or places not on the resort itself.
To sum up, we had a good time and would come back and visit again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wlarryw
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

We returned in March from a four night stay at Cibola Vista Resort, in the hub of Phoenix area. It is a timeshare/rental grouping of apartments. Beautifully furnished, lots of space, and decks with privacy. Two pools on the property, one just for adults. The property is very clean, and still has a newer feeling about it. The landscaping is coming along, and the ownership is planning to develop further on the existing property.
Our biggest disappointment was the staff. Too young and not trained for higher standards of customer service. The rates of stay are around 200 per night, and we expect the staff to be stronger in the skills needed to highlight a higher end property.
The ownership is trying to attract an older aged group but the staff they high are so young, it just isn't a good match.
The location is just off the main highway 70 and needs to have a buffer of trees to block the sounds of the highway.
But otherwise it is a very nice resort.
We would only recommend a spring visit because of the Arizona heat. We were there for Baseball Spring Training Games, and it is a perfect location for them.
Best of Luck!

1 Thank walterrobb
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

This is going to be a difficult review for me to write as I depend so much on TripAdvisor for all of my vacation planning and want to make sure I say all of the correct things.
This resort (condo complex more like it) is in a very strange location in Peoria, AZ. I am sure there is a method to this but having spent several years living in AZ, I am still not seeing it.
The buildings are very nice looking and are decorated beautifully! We were very exited upon arrival. Unfortunately, we had the same experience as two other reviewers as I had called two times prior to our arrival to ensure that we were situated in a room that had a fireplace. We were assured that the notes were in the system and that our name had been put on one of those rooms. We were also told that we were placed near the adult pool as we are on our honeymoon and we were told that it would be very quiet there. We arrived to find that we had not been put in that area at all nor had we been put in a room with a fireplace. We were also told that there were no notes in the system that anyone had even spoken with me. Needless to say, we were disappointed. I asked if we could be placed in one of those units only to be told that the entire resort was booked up.
We went ahead and unpacked our bags since it was evident we had no choice. We were situated on the ground floor of building 5 which is located right next to the family pool that has all of the screaming children playing on the waterslide. Not the most romantic setting!
Now, when I book reservations at a place that labels itself as a resort and spa, I expect rest, relaxation, therapudic environment, etc.. This was not the case at all with the Cibola Vista. We could hear water rushing through pipes each time the people in the rooms above us flushed toilets, took showers, drained tubs and washed dishes. It was so loud that sometimes, we actually thought it was in our bedroom. Each time that someone walked by our room, we could hear every word they spoke. The elevator room made some sort of groaning noise every 30-40 seconds until we were able to figure out where it was coming from and had maintenance come check it out.
The family above us (not sure if it was a family with several children or a family of professional wrestlers) were thumping, bumping and what sounded like jumping off the beds onto the floors at all hours of the night. It was excrutiating and we got no rest. We had to call the front desk two nights in a row and on the second night, they would make more noise just to be obnoxious as soon as security would leave their door.
We left a tip for the maid on mid-week clean day along with a note to leave more soap, toilet paper and coffee. She kept the five dollars and left none of the above mentioned items.
The good side of the place was that the grounds were maintained beautifully and the pools are very nice. The children that were there had a blast on the waterslide and when we went to the adult pool, it almost seemed as though the noise disappeared.
We did not do much drinking at the bar as I thougt the drinks were too expensive. $6.00 for a beer. No thank you! I would expect better prices at a pool side bar.
There are some restaurants within 15 minutes of the place but if you want good restaurants and a larger variety, you have to drive between 30-45 minutes. I would suggest doing some research before you get there.
We went to Lake Pleasant for an hour or two. The water was too cold to get in but if you have the time, I would recommend renting a boat or some sort of water craft. The lake is crystal clear and it is very peaceful. I have been there during the summer in years past and I would say the spring and early fall are the best times to go for some peace.
I think the developer had a good concept but it seems as though he must have gone with some cheap sub-contractors to do alot of the work. It is apparent with the lack of insulation and the layout of the buildings.
One good thing is that when you are in your unit with all of the curtains closed and the tv on, you feel as though you are the only one there. When you open your curtains or turn off the tv, you can hear all of the people and the inner workings of the resort.
I would say that the terms "resort and spa" were used very loosely in this case.
We enjoyed our time away from the resort when we were alone. We would not return as we were not able to truly enjoy the solace of the desert.
If you can sleep through a hurricane, I would recommend this complex. If you have young kids and don't mind noise, I would recommend this complex. Do not be fooled by the terms "resort and spa". This is not what one would typically expect.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmond, OK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

We are owners at the Cibola Vista timeshare and decided to use our week this year to stay in Phoenix. The theme of our stay was VERY POOR customer service. The one bedroom villa was very nice, except for a very large, dark stain all across the living room carpet. We called for bedding for the crib we had requested, waited an hour, and had to call again, which then took thirty minutes to receive. Our room was not stocked with kitchen towels, dishwasher soap, sponge among other kitchen necessities which we had to go out and purchase ourselves, only to find out midway through the week that they should have been in our room on arrival. Our bathroom was missing a hairdryer, and so when I called down to the front desk to request one, I again waited over an hour for its delivery, then had to call again to have it delivered. However, the most disappointing encounter with the resort happened one evening when I attempted to order room service. In the booklet of amenities in the room, it lists a phone # for room service. I called the #, which was routed to the front desk. The man answering the phone was very rude and short, and would not connect me with room service and actually hung up on me, saying that only "sometimes" they have room service and whether or not they have it "just depends". He must have realized he was out of line, because he called my room back and said he would have the cafe make some food and he would bring it up to us (as I had sick children and could not go out). I called the cafe and ordered my food, which never arrived. I waited 90 minutes, called back and was told it would be up in 10 minutes. Another 30 minutes, no food, so I called back. Evidentally, the food was delivered to room "2324" rather than our room, "2423" and so the cafe threw the food out We waited another 45 minutes for our meal to be remade, so at this point my children were so hungry after waiting over two hours for our food that the evening was truly ruined for us all. In addition, they did not have all the food listed on the menu, so we were stuck eating burgers and grilled cheese. I have never been treated with such disrespect by concierge and truly wish we had never bought our timeshare through Cibola Vista.
Outside of the horrible customer service, the pools are quite nice and I enjoyed the jewelry making class.

• Liked — nice pool
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank naturedocOK
Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

Our room at Cibola Vista was particularly lovely, spacious and quiet with nice decor. The pools were big and clean with lots of sun chairs. The grounds were also kept very clean and well groomed. Actually, the entire Phoenix area was exceptionally clean. From reading other comments we were concerned about the resort being out in the middle of nowhere and difficult to find. That was not our experience; it is right off a main road and as long as you have a car there is some shopping and restaurants within a short distance. When we checked in the front desk seemed disorganized. The front desk staff had to physically run to the rooms to see if they were ready as housekeeping were not answering their pages. We were a little disappointed in the lack of attention to detail in some areas. We were not given any soap for the bathroom and when we asked we were told it was back ordered and should be in the following day but it was never given to us. During the mid week full clean not all towels or toiletries were replaced. I was surprised they charge guests $4.95/day to have Internet in your room and they charge 0.35/minute to use the computers in the lobby. On our check out day, the check out time was 10 AM and we had housekeeping bang on our door much earlier early to ensure we were checking out at 10. After we checked out we overheard the front desk staff telling another guest they are flexible with check in and check out times. We will remember that for next time.
The down turn of the economy was becoming very evident in Arizona. At several places service was a little poorer than expected which we attributed to the state of the economy. The number of stores and businesses that had gone out of business already was sad to see. In stores we visited the employees had hours cut drastically, were working with fewer staff and had word of coming closures. Home prices were dirt-cheap and have dropped as low as $65,000 as so many people can’t afford to keep them. The same homes in Canada would go for triple the price.
Our favourite restaurants (although not right by the resort) were My Big Fat Greek Restaurant and PF Changs Bistro. Food was excellent and prices decent.
It is easy and quick to get around most areas of Phoenix, the roads and freeways are well designed. A GPS is great to have as they have a lot of named streets.
We would definitely stay at Cibola Vista next time, they have a couple areas to work on but for the most part it was GREAT!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shedAB
rmc1991
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

After my first stay there last May, I never wrote a review, which I regret. But I will say that I couldn't wait to return to Cibola Vista with my two little boys. Cibola Vista is a great place from which to explore a lot of Arizona (and very convenient shopping) and overall quality was very good for the type of resort it is. I was excited to book another week there for this coming May traveling this time with my two boys and my parents. Last year, I went with my boyfriend. I was a bit disheartened by some of the negative comments several reviewers made and happy to see some positive ones as well since I would feel awful if I couldn't show my family as good of a time as I had the first. Cibola Vista is not perfect, but based on my first stay, I can overlook some minor negatives as there were a lot of positives. Probably one of my favorite positives was our awesome horseback riding tour. I plan to give a more timely review after my upcoming stay in May and hope that I can provide another good one.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rmc1991
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Hampton Inn Phoenix/Glendale/Peoria
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix West Peoria
Comfort Suites Peoria Sports Complex
Residence Inn Phoenix Glendale/Peoria
Windmill Suites in Surprise
Thunderbird Executive Inn & Conference Center

Been to Cibola Vista? Share your experiences!