“Warning! Do Not Stay At This Hotel!”
Review of Cibola Vista

Cibola Vista
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Peoria
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I want to give this hotel a good rating. However, I must warn you not to stay at this hotel! I stayed at Cibola for one night. I inadvertently left a couple expensive personal items in my room. I called the afternoon of the day I checked out only to find that the hotel cleaning crew picked up these items and did not return them to the front desk/lost & found. I have called every day since. The hotel manager told me that the person who cleaned my room was not returning his calls. He promised to follow up and call me back. The manager never called me back after that conversation. Since then I have had to call the hotel many times. The manager is always "out." All I want is for this hotel to return my personal items. The whole thing is very disheartening.

If you want to stay at a hotel where the staff does the right thing, DO NOT STAY AT CIBOLA.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank PSTA20

Reviewed November 24, 2008

Cibola Vista was perfect for us! We had a master suite with two separate bathrooms, one of which included the jacuzzi. I have read that others were not happy, but my husband and I tend to ignore the small stuff, e.g. a leaky shower stall. We found the staff friendly and helpful, especially the concierge Debbie and Talar at the front desk. While there were few activities, other than horseback riding, at the resort itself, there were a ton of things to do, from expensive to FREE! Swimming laps in one pool and hot-tubbing it at the adult-only pool would begin my day. Then my husband and I would get out the map and decide where we wanted to explore. Wickenburg came up first, for we had driven through it on the way to Cibola. It's about 30 minutes away. There's an abandoned gold and silver mine that was really fun to explore. We were there a couple of hours, before driving back into Wickenburg to their Western museum. Now, there is a treasure. Be sure to catch the reconstructed Western town on the bottom floor. Lots to see there. Each day we did a day trip, discovering such places as Apache Junction (where else would you find Elvis in a church), a nearby ghost town, and, of course, Tequilla Flats, drop off point for the pony express. My husband sat on a saddle as he drank the golden elixir of his beer. While there are few activities right in Peoria, we never ran out of things to do, including discovering cactus "forests" and meandering through the Pioneer Museum. Native American ruins are not that far away, and there's a huge casino a couple of hours up the road. Most of the things I've mentioned, kids would love (maybe not the casino!), but in Cibola, you're limited only by your imagination. So, hats off to you, Cibola. Loved the stay and hope to return.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank schneewitchen
Reviewed November 19, 2008

This is definitely not a 5 star resort, 3 at best. The appliances were cheap. Our fireplace did not work and the shower leaked all over the floor. There was no place in the shower to put soap or shampoo so we had to put it on the floor. No wayport in the room. Maintenance came & brought a wayport and tried to fix the fireplace but could not. He said he would come back to put something in the shower to hold the soap but he never came back. It was cool outside and a working fireplace would have been nice. We stayed 5 days and the cleaning service come in only once. They do not come everyday. There was a lot of drilling coming from the unit next door and a lot of pounding from the room upstairs. We stayed in phase 1 and I thought the decor was nice although a big stain in the dining table. I agree with others that it was little dark but with all the lights on it was okay.
There were 3 big bags of garbage sitting outside facing our kitchen window for 2 days. I had to call and ask them to take the bags away.
One of the 2 phones in the unit went dead so we could only use the bedroom phone.
I like the fact that is a quiet growing area. There were a lot of good stores & restaurants nearby but hardly any traffic. There was a bike lane on the main road so cyclists could ride and not have to worry about heavy congestion.
The gym was clean but the only stationary bike was out of order and the hand cleaner was empty the whole time we were there.
Check out was 10am but they did allow us until noon. Upon check out we were asked if everything was okay and we said no but he never inquired as to what the problems were so I guess they just want to hear only the good and are not interested to hear anything else. A place that is not interested in the problems is not going to have a lot of success.
I agree that this more like an apartment complex than a resort.
The front desk staff was pleasant.
Concierge was not very knowledgeable.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiegoFlorida
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Truly think TWICE before coming here.
It is in the middle of nowhere except Big Box Stores. It is a 45 minute drive to Scottsdale, 1 hour to Phoenix and 2 1/2 hrs. to Sedona. The only advantage are nice pools. It's fine to rest for 2-3 days, but no more. The decor in phase one where we stayed is dark. Heavy red curtains, dark furniture; you need a light during the day. Take a night light for the bathroom. This first phase is dark and has a jacuzzi. The new phase is supposedly lighter in decor but no jacuzzi. Isn't that foolish? As another visitor said, they charge for internet service. I complained and they gave me 2 days free. I pay enough in taxes, maintenance, exchange fees,etc. that this cost should be absorbed by any resort and most do.
The 'cafe' is a joke. The woman who was managing it (an older experienced person) just gave notice. She said management doesn't care. They only have PARTIAL liquor license, which means only beers or frozen blended drinks because the alcohol content has to be less than 10%. And the liquor used is lower than lower shelf. Don't waste your money & go down the road to 'BevMo' for the real thing.

They do not give an amenities book in the rooms. How many of each in the kitchen are you supposed to have? You can't be held responsible for anything. You don't know when they're supposed to come and make up the room, usually mid-week. When they came they only changed sheets and towels. Bathrooms where still dirty. Had to ask for more toilet paper, tissues and towels (3X). DVD connection is definitely weird.

LIghts blews in bedroom twice. Told them the first time that the light blew and there was smoke. They just came and turned on the circuit breaker. Second time they had to replace some wiring in the light. AND THIS RESORT IS IN BUSINESS ONLY 3 1/2 YRS.

Owners got this land cheap and are running it cheaply. I did put my comments in writing, but who knows if they'll do anything with them. Contrary to other person, I found front desk friendly.
Lastly - if you have AT&T as your cell phone carrier - good luck - barely any cell service. None in the rooms & you have to walk around the resort to find a link. Understand Verizon is better.

We've been timeshare owners for 10 years and have traded to numerous places. I have never had as bad an experience as I've had here and will NEVER return.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank JaneinJersey
Reviewed October 19, 2008

The resort is small. There are no daily activities. Front desk employees are rude. I had a problem with the dvd player, I was told to reach behind t.v. and remove cables and plug them into the front of t.v. We also had a problem with bugs in the room. Construction on this resort has come to a stop, due to the economy. They also charge $10 a day for in room internet acc.
The resort has a check-out time of 10 a.m. We made a reservation for a week and we were ready to leave after a couple of days. The beds are hard as a rock. We asked for some type of eggcrate or something to be added to the top of the bed, they said they would take care of it, it never happened. Think twice about staying here.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robertm31
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Cibola Vista is a wonderful resort! We stayed there for one week in July in a one bedroom master suite on the second floor with a balcony in the newer Phase 2 building (room 2225). We booked our week through Interval International using an exchange of our timeshare week. Karen, the General Manager at Cibola Vista, was great to deal with. She delivered for us at the last minute by upgrading our room from the junior suite to the master suite before we arrived. Thank you Karen! You made our stay enjoyable and ensured that we had the correct unit. Check in was a breeze, the front desk staff were friendly and courteous, our room was immaculate, and we immediately felt relaxed after a long day of travelling.

The resort is brand new, as mentioned by the other reviewers, with all the amenities that you would expect to find at a high end resort. We spent a lot of our time in the huge kids’ pool by the waterslide. Plenty of room for everybody. This new pool was well designed to meet the needs of parents with small children. The waterslide was a blast! The adult pool also looked very nice and little bit quieter too. The grounds are beautifully kept with lots of small cacti and desert flowers everywhere. There is lovely Spa and small gym on site which we would have loved to use but did not have enough time.

There are plenty of parking at the resort and good restaurants nearby if you do not like to travel too far. We particularly enjoyed the Lakeside Bar & Grill just only a few minutes away. Excellent services and delicious Italian dishes at very reasonable price. There is also a brand new super size Walmart just around the corner. You can probably get everything you need to cook your meals within 10-15 minutes by car.

We used the large kitchen in our unit, which was well equipped, to cook breakfast each morning. For lunch, you can use the many gas BBQs around the resort to grill your steaks or burgers and hotdogs. We enjoyed doing that on a couple of occasions.

There is a small horse ranch, which belongs the the resort, but we did not get a chance to visit it. I believe you can arrange to go horseback riding, but it would have been too hot to go ridding while we were there. The temperature was hovering around 110F (45C) during our stay so remember to bring lots of sunscreen. Despite the heat, we did not feel uncomfortable at any time.

The concierge service at the registration desk was excellent. We got useful tips and information. Two computers with Internet access are also available free of charge in the reception area if you would like to do your own research. We happen to be here during the July 4th celebration and saw lots of fireworks. We drove around Phoenix and Scottsdale for sightseeing, shopping and dinner. If you’re in Scottsdale, we recommend you try the free Trolley buses that take you on a tour around the Scottsdale Fashion Square area.

We visited the Grand Canyon during our stay. It's about a 3.5 hour trip from the resort. We only had time to see the South Rim and then drove back on the same day. I would recommend you start early in the morning to get there or alternatively spend a night at a hotel near the Canyon in order to fully explore the park. Watching the sun set over the Canyon is a memorable experience that should not be missed.

So if you like the sun, spectacular scenery, a quiet and friendly atmosphere, good food and lots of shopping nearby then Cibola Vista is the place to stay. Overall, we have no complaints about the resort. We would definitely return again to see what the next new phase will bring.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank FamilyGuyBC
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Will never stay here again! My friend owns a timeshare here and reserved a room with a jr. room attatched for two nights over 4th of July weekend. We received a call from the office on the first day we stayed there saying we should have checked out at 10 am that morning and I told them we were to stay for one more night. They stated rudely that was not the case and we had to leave or pay a crap load more money to stay another night. We had packed everything for the kids and had made all the food to bring and didn't even get to stay for 24 hours! The office was rude and the person we spoke to said the room was not going to be occupied and we could stay and in the next breath said I'll have to check to see if we could stay in the room and I said you told me the room was not going to be occupied and he said no I didn't. Now I know what I heard!!! Then he said he would find us another room to stay in. I wasn't about to move all our stuff to stay there another minute. We packed our things and left. My friend who made the reservations had all the information/conformation number that said for two nights and they tried to say it was our fault and we didn't make the reservations correctly? The assistant manager wouldn't even come to the phone to speak to my friend who made the reservations. Save your money and don't stay there. They also have just anybody come in and use their pool. People who don't watch their kids and just let them have the run of the place. I also had another friend stay there the week before we went and their air conditioning went out and they got no I'm sorry this has happened how can we help you. They also went to the jacuzzi and one of the office staff told them they had 15 more minutes to stay there and 15 minutes later he came back out and told them "I can't belive you made me walk all the way out here to tell you to get out". Now that's customer service at it's best!!!! Place is horrible!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank HotAZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peoria
Deer Valley
Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix North - Happy Valley

Been to Cibola Vista? Share your experiences!