“As good as Cabo San Lucas”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #1 of 283 Restaurants in Peoria
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Abuelo's invites you to experience the incredible flavors of Mexico, combining homemade cooking with rich flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine.
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We enjoyed a nice Mexican dinner at this Peoria favorite spot. The menu offers a variety of choices and the service was prompt and friendly. This is a busy spot but it's very large so they can handle the large crowds. This is not fine dining, but a friendly, colorful spot for good Mexican food.

There are newer reviews for Abuelo's

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Great atmosphere---great food---great service every time! I was told "abuelo" means grandfather---and his statue sits outside this large restaurant----well, he knows how to take care of his guests. Upon entering, the main dining room in front of you resembles a Mexican courtyard with greenery and a sky painted high above--great atmosphere inviting you to relax. Off to the left is a huge bar area with part of the bar area walled off with booth seating--here is where you want to be for Happy Hour drink specials---margaritas from $3.50 to $5.00. The complimentary tortilla chips are thin and crispy and served with 3 different sauces---the green one is my favorite.

If you are looking for a good deal, the happy Hour menu (none over $5.00) which is served only in the bar area, has some great choices---fajita taco, carnita tacos, chicken quesadilla, etc.

The restaurant menu is extensive. The Tilapia Veracruz is very good (I ask for it to be prepared less spicy, which can be done for any spicy food item). I love the fajitas. The Monterrey is a tasty plate of enchiladas, chile relleno, and a taco. You can substitute a delicious side of papas instead of rice for any meal. The flan is very good---it's served complimentary to the birthday guest. The servers are very helpful with menu questions and suggestions. They all seem to be happy they are serving you.

Good tip---if it applies to you, the lunch prices are available all day for the 55+.

My out-of-town guests always remember the great time they had at Abuelo's.
I'm happy----I live in the area----so I can go to Abuelo's any time I hunger for Mexican!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

It was an OK dinner out while out enjoying our spring training vacation. Large menu, but the combination plate didn't have anything that jumped out of me, but nothing bad. Margaritas were not great for the price, but they did look very ornate for people who would like that. Really close to the Padres/Mariners ballpark.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We came here one day after a very hot day of golf and baseball had some Mexican food. The food was good, I had a taco salad, the greens were fresh and the chicken very tasty. Others in my party had cocktails (margarita and beer) and the margarita was good by all accounts. The restaurant had a center court that has the ceiling painted like in the Venetian Hotel in Vegas, with clouds and blue sky, very calming. The service was very good. And the sopapillas were excellent as well...

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was our first time in Arizona and wanted to have good Mexican food while we were here. We heard to get here early and are glad we did. Arrived about 5:00 and were told it would be about a 30 min wait. After only 5-10 minutes we were seated. Jenna was an amazing server, very informed about the menu and gave us some great recommendations. Really enjoyed the three salsa choices and chips while waiting for our meal. We shared The Monterrey which was a great combo of enchiladas, chile relleno, and taco. Perfect way to get a taste of some of their signature dishes. I highly recommend the Papas con Chile which was a nice change to the usual rice that comes with your meal. The Manager came around a couple of times to check in and inquiry about our meal. Again Jenna was great attentive without being annoying. Getting there early is a must if you don't want a long wait, especially during the Cactus League baseball season.