“"Like A Hawk"”
Review of Turf Soaring School - CLOSED

Turf Soaring School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We do scenic tours in FAA certified motorless aircraft over Lake Pleasant and the Sonoran Desert.
Clifton, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“"Like A Hawk"”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

While vacationing in Arizona to attend my brother Bill's wedding, he suggested that we take a side trip to Turf Soaring School to do some gliding. ... Bill took the standard flight and soared over Lake Pleasant like a peaceful dove. I, on the other hand, was "dared" to try the aerobatic version of flight! ... I had been aloft in a glider a few times before, back home in Jersey, but never experienced soaring like this! ... The aircraft I "shoehorned" into was like sliding into a Formula 1 race car! .... As for the "gliding," peacefully over the beautiful terrain, I don't think so! Instead, I was tearing up the sky diving and looping like a hawk searching for his dinner.
I was enjoying every minute of my being aloft in this sleek, fast "bird." Before he executed each manuever, Carl, my pilot, would ask how I was doing. I kept telling him to "go for it!" My flying experience with Turf was a fun, exciting time. I definitely would recommend anyone to try soaring at least once or twice in their lifetime. If you're not as adventureous as I was with my aerobatic antics, you still simply must enjoy the experience of silent flight. My soaring adventure at Turf Soaring is one I'd love to return tp Arizona for and do over and over again.

Casa Grande, Arizona
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Soaring school was so much fun”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This experience at Turf Soaring School was very cool. If I had to give it a rating from 1 to 10, I would be giving this a 10++++++++++. The people were very nice, had a very nice instructor, his name was Dan. Never flew a glider and after we were left go with the towing plane and Dan got us straight, it was my turn to fly. It was so cool to glide up in the sky. The length of this visit, all depends on mother nature, if there is enough wind to keep you up for longer. Now I'm hook, have to do that again. If you have the chance to do this, do IT.YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

Bellevue, Washington
“Ray's Excellent Soaring Adventure”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This experience was the icing on the cake for our Arizona vacation. The people at Turf were absolutely wonderful, from Mary at the reception counter, John, the Tow Plane Pilot and Teague, my flight instructor. I had never flown in a glider before and the experience was fantastic. This is one experience everyone should have in their "bucket list" of exciting things to do in your life. I've spent my life working on big and small planes and just flying in the large commercial aircraft. However, once I got into this glider and felt the wind beneath the wings, I was hooked. I realized why everyone gets hooked into flying because there simply is nothing out there to beat this experience except maybe the Space Shuttle. You gotta just DO IT!

Visited October 2012
“Why go ballooning with hot flames 2 feet from your head & 8 people you dont no when you can soar like a Eagle in total deafening”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I posed the question why balloon when you can soar because on a recent trip to the Peoria area my wife and I did both.
My wife & i went there because a hurricane canceled our 25th anniversary trip to the Keys in Florida. Ballooning sounded great to my wife & I however it quickly turned bad after they put 14 of us in the same basket & ran 3 extremly hot burners. Several of us in the basket lost eyebrows. Thats all I have to say about ballooning in that area.
The people at the glider airport were all true proffesionals. They make you feel very comfortable from the time you get to the airport till you land. My wife was a little nervouse and took the scenic ride. She landed and the pilot couldnt slow her down enough to get her parachute off! She was running and jumping like a 10 year old on Christmas morning! She ran from the glider, jumped into my arms and was thrilled more than ive seen her in 27years! She was so excited she kissed the pilot who was still trying to get the parashute from her! There may have been a little tongue there im not sure! Being the adventerous type I went on the areobatic flight. The gliders are up to date, very clean, & way more areobatic than i thought. The pilot did several different manuvers, hammerheads, cloverleafs, rolls even a few reverse stalls. Ive been in many different aircraft and have bungee jumped a few times, but the pilot did some really amazing things and put me in some amazing 4g loops & even a few negative g's. Probably the best part was once we got in the air above 1000 ft there was a nice cool breeze and i wasnt smelling burned hair like the balloon ride the day before. All kidding aside, the gliders are much more thrilling and extremly quiet. This is a must do, its great fun and well worth the money.

Reviewed October 12, 2012