“Hualapai Lodge - west rim, Grand Canyon”
Review of Hualapai Lodge

Hualapai Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Peach Springs
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel is comfortable, clean, and where the only 1-day white water rafting trip leaves from which makes it ideal.

There is an internet-famous, grouchy old native woman on the front desk who's job seems to be to discourage visitors from enjoying themselves or ever coming back. BUT, all the other employees are very pleasant and some are even extraordinarily helpful. Like a non-native woman at the front desk who got the maintenance people to help unlock my keys from inside my car! PRICELESS!

Tip - don't purchase water for the rafting trip. They bring plenty, but the grouch at the front desk is happy to sell it to you pretending she doesn't know that it's not necessary.

And, the white water rafting trip was beyond my extremely high expectations! My only advice is DO IT!

Room Tip: There's a train that runs behind the hotel, although we were so tired I didn't hear it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LindaTravels727

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed there before and after a White-Water trip based by the outfitters based out of the hotel. Most of the staff was friendly and outgoing. Reception seemed a be chilly, but not everyone has a cheerful personality. Rooms were comfortable --supposedly a train comes by at night, but didn't hear it. Restaurant was a little sparse, meals were good quality food, but a little weak on prep and service. It took a while to get seated in a empty room and served. Staff was friendly though, help and recovered well from mistakes (apparently new staff that shift).

We're planning a return white water trip and expect to stay there again.

Room Tip: Room on highway side away from train tracks, close to center near elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

So my family is on a very long Road trip and we decided to stay at the Hualapai lodge so that we could get up really early like 3am to start our journey to the local water falls and from past posts on this forum I was a little worried about the train noise. I am very happy to inform people that I never heard the train inside my room. Its a nice hotel and the food in the cafeteria was ok. The best part about the hotel is the location and the clean rooms. The part I least liked was the pool, it was dirty and my kids even refused to swim in it thats really saying something.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay at a room next to the front parking lot furthest away from the train
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The "Lodge" is a simple 2 story roadside motel. Modern enough, clean, comfortable, tidy and nothing to complain about. They have a lobby, restaurant and small gift shop. The bathroom and beds were clean - any you should expect nothing less.

The town of Peach Springs is a typical desert way stop - the area is poor and run down, but safe. I felt secure enough to leave my luggage and equipment in the truck overnight - and all day. The Reservation Police are present and visible - I had no problems nor did I expect any staying there.

We were warned about the frequent train whistles and the location next to the highway might make for a bothered night of sleep - but I wasn't bothered by any of it. I'm a heavy sleeper.

We stayed there because we were going river rafting early in the morning - and the Lodge is the pick up point for the river rafting trip we were taking the next day. The bus pick-up for river rafting was at 7am. For us it was a one night stay out of convenience.

I found the ladies at the lobby desk, and restaurant, helpful, pleasant. The young lady running the Hualapai River Runners desk appeared bored, and was careless in her handling of our reservations for the rafting trip that morning. You need to be aware they have different color ID bands according to the activities you paid for - we were unaware, and she didn't check which had a negative impact later in the day for us.

At the restaurant we had our choice of selecting from the menu - or take advantage of the serve yourself express breakfast. The express breakfast was good and fair enough - for the price the it offered a lot and no waiting.

Would I stay there again? If I was going hiking, river rafting the next day or driving through there late at night - yes.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room facing the highway and ear plugs (which are free). I...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Like other review writers, I had a hard time finding any info on this place. I took a chance and was very pleased. We were heading to the Grand Canyon and this spot was about 2 hours from the south rim. The rooms were clean and very quiet. We did hear the train but very faintly and not loud enough to keep us awake and I am a light sleeper. We have 5 people and needed a roll-away, just be sure to ask for it when making the reservation as they are limited. Breakfast was decent. It was included in the stay. The typical high carb cereal, fruit, sweet roll, bagle, juice, coffee, etc. They also have a restaurant menu to order from. We would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The lodge is very clean and the food is good. The only problem with this place is that it is located right next to a railroad crossing for a major rail line. Trains literally blow their whistle 2 to 4 times per hour all night and all day long. I had to go to the front desk to get ear plus in the middle of the night. They have a huge box of them so they are ready for the complaints. Problem for me was that the noise was so loud the ear plugs did not help. Also have to drive hours to get to the south or west rim of the canyon. Kind of deceiving how they advertise the location.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was not able to get a lot of info in advance of my stay, and didn't expect such a nice hotel or restaurant. My room was very clean and comfortable, nicely decorated and easy acess to internet, and the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. I very much enjoyed a big breakfast before heading out to backpack in the desert for a few days.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hualapai Lodge? Share your experiences!