“Hoover Damn, River Rafting, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas”

Hualapai River Runners
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One Day White Water Rafting Begin to explore the Grand Canyon walls over the white water rapids of the Colorado River. Hike up to Travertine Falls, a natural waterfall, with your experienced guide. Hear about the history and culture of the Hualapai people. Look for local wildlife while enjoying lunch along the banks of the river. Continue through the Grand Canyon on a smooth water ride viewing the towering canyon from a unique perspective. Complete your adventure with a helicopter flight up to the top of Grand Canyon West, home of the Skywalk. Rafts depart from Peach Springs, Arizona on Historic Route 66 from the Hualapai Lodge and ground transportation returns you to Peach Springs. All this in just one day! 2-Day Paddle Rafting The 2-Day Paddle Rafting Trip is a weekend only excursion that will ramp off at Diamond Creek RM 225 at 8: 00 a.m. Designated stops will be held at Travertine Falls, Separation, and camping at Spencer Canyon. This trip will include lunch, dinner, breakfast and assorted snacks for paddle rafters. Operational hours will begin at Sunrise to Sunset. Cost is $650 per person and must be 12+ years of age. No additional services included.
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We are a family of 5 the kids are 14,13,11. We drove from Las Vegas, to the Hoover Dam, to the Hualapai Indian Reservation. Had a wonderful home cooked meal and swam in the salt water pool. When we checked into the hotel, we had a few chuckles about the ear plugs they handed out because of the train that passes every 20 minutes. It was a Cousin Vinnie moment. This continued when we got to our room. It was small, not a surprise. But when we sat on the beds, they had the plastic on the mattresses and the sheets came off, so you were sleeping on plastic.
Day 2-We are up early for our river rafting trip. We board a school bus and get take a bouncy dirt road to the river. It took over an hour. The boys loved the ride because of how bouncy it was. We saw wild donkeys, which weren’t too wild because they came up to the bus for food. We get to the boat and get a dry box that you have access too, so you can put cameras, sunscreen in it. Then there is a dry duffle for other stuff. don't put anything you need access to in this bag, you don't get it back until the end of the day. We brought a change of clothes, which we never needed. We wore rain gear, water shoes, and a hat. Well we go over a few bumpy splashes, and I thought cool. Then we go thru some bigger rapids where you need to hold on and you are soaked to the bone. It was great. The Colorado is rated a 1 to 10 on the rapids, we rode 3-5’s. It was very cool. WE made several stops. On the first stop, we hiked up a little to a water fall. The other stop was a beautiful stream. The kids all scooped up the clay out of the stream and made little pots. It was very cool. The views from being down in the canyon were overwhelming. Our guide showed us the fault lines in the canyon, the oldest rock in the canyon. It was very cool. After lunch we had a quiet ride down the canyon. At the end of our day we took a great helicopter ride out of the canyon. Even though it was windy it was very smooth.
On the ride back from the trip we went across a dirt road. At the end of the road he van we were in got a flat tire. I couldn’t believe it, I figured we would be stuck forever. But my husband and another man changed the tire and we were on the road. BAck to the hotel for another great meal, and on the road again to the Grand Canyon for the next leg of our trip

3  Thank angny

Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed at the lodge the night before which was a good plan. The rooms were clean but nothing special. There is very little in the town so if you need any supplies get them before you get to peach springs. Our rafting day started out great. We had "crazy Mary" as well for our driver but what started out as fun quickly turned into the ride of our life. She beats the heck out of the bus and the primitive road all the way to the river! There were times when the bus was vibrating so much I was scared to think of what would happen to us if we popped a tire or broke an axle.
When we got to the river the adventure I truly paid for began. The ride was exciting and fun. My boyfriend had never been whitewater rafting and I pretty much made him go for my birthday. As soon as we hit the first rapid his fears were immediately met with excitement and he really enjoyed the trip. The canyon is breathtaking and the sites are amazing. We were able to helicopter out which was also very cool. On the way out we were met with Mary and the other driver who informed us that one of the school buses broke down and we were going to be going back in an air-conditioned tour bus! Of course we were all thrilled until it broke down in the middle of the canyon. Our driver infomed us that Mary (who flew by us early in the trip back) had the satelite phone and we had no way to contact anyone for help. Several people stopped by but we were literally stranded in the desert (100+ degrees) for about 2 hours. Finally Mary arrived back and we had another "bat out of H-E double hockey sticks" ride back to the lodge with her. When we arrived back I wanted to jump out and kiss the ground! We ended up not getting back to the lodge until 2+ hours after the planned time back. No refunds are offered and you go at your own risk. Overall, the whitewater & helicopter experience was worth the money, but transportation was AWFUL!

2  Thank r0llin0ntheriver
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We had a complete blast. There isn't much more to say that the other positive people have already stated. We had a great, warm day for this. The ride was awesome and the guides were so friendly. Our guide was very informative about the entire area, talking to us and explaining everything from scorpions and snakes to the minerals in the rocks. I would do it again in a minute.

1  Thank bagereau
Reviewed August 13, 2008

This was one of my wish list items. I shared it with my daughter and 3 granddaughters. The Lodge was clean, friendly and most above, excited for us. The Lodge restuaruant was GREAT food and FUN staff, and GREAT prices. Best to share food. They are healthy servings. We had the BEST bus driver to and from the river..CRAZY MARY!!!!!She was safe, fun, and lots of laughs. On the return trip,we seen a large dust storm, and with limited rainfall in Az., It came while we were there. We got to see flash flooding. Mary was safe ,yet, clearly she knew what she was doing, We ended up singing Proud Mary keep on Rolling. Our River Runner, Jackson, Micheal, to be exact, was informative and eager to share his customs, stories, cultures, and beliefs with us. Icing on the cake. He had his daughter with him and she was just as charming.We had to wait about an hour to get on the helicopter up. Seemed a little unfair to slip in the other tour groups in ahead of us. We also paid' The porta potty was out of order there. So, some had to go behind rocks or slip back into the water . We had 5 in our group,which included 2 teenage girls. They weren't too gung-ho on the trip, until they seen the 3 U.K. Hunks who went with us. They're still talking about them. You never know when God will Bless You. Right? Would we do it again? IN A HEART BEAT !!!!!

Reviewed June 30, 2008

I have to write a review on this rafting trip as I was nervous about this adventure before we did it with our kids ages 15, 13 and 8 in April 2008. Eight is the minimum age for the rafting and we had never been before.

I'm glad I read the Trip Advisor reviews before we went so that when the woman at the Hulapai Lodge Front Desk ignored me at 10:00 p.m. when we arrived after traveling 13 hours to be standing there, I was prepared! The room was nothing fancy, but adequate and worth it to be at the same place that the trip departed from early the next morning.

The hour ride on the bumpy school bus down to the canyon was a little nutty, but added to the overall fun when you have kids.

We loved our day on the river. The water hitting us was cold but it was bearable. I really think this is one of those experiences that under the right conditions can be great, but if the weather doesn't cooperate can be a disasterous day - it's a gamble.

Fortunately for us the weather was perfect and we felt like we were really experiencing the Grand Canyon at its core - full of beauty and history. In addition to the other stops, our driver pulled over at a sand bar and my kids got to stand and play in the middle of the Colorado River!!!

We did get to ride the helicopter out. Would have been so disappointed if that didn't happen. Again it's a risk you take when you pay for this trip. We didn't think the ride back to the lodge from the landing place was so bad. It took less than two hours.

The only suggested improvement I have is that the boats seemed like they could have made it easier to hold on. For experienced rafters this I'm sure is a tame ride, but for families with kids, holes cut into plywood along the back and metal handles on the sides seemed the minimum you could do. What about straps that you could put your hand through? And our driver did not give us very much information on what to do if we fell out of the boat. But he did tell us stories of boats that had flipped in the past.

After we did the River Runners we drove over to the South Rim and did the canyon from the top for a few days. We hiked down the Bright Angel Trail to the first water stop. Attended a ranger talk at night (which was a great overview) and had dinner at El Tovar one night. We were unable to stay at El Tovar when we tried to book it 6 months earlier. If I did it again we'd want to stay there. The Best Western near the park was okay. The breakfast room was the most depressing eating arrangement we've ever experienced! Mass production dining at it's worst.

1  Thank deebik5