“Decent if guided tours are your kind of thing...”

Grand Canyon Caverns
More attraction details
Owner description: These caverns began forming 300 million years ago and contain mummified remains of animals that died in them.
Las Vegas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Decent if guided tours are your kind of thing...”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This is probably best for parents looking for something for their kids to do and / or people who have never been in a cave. I'm a frequent hiker and generally am not a fan of guided tours, so there wasn't a huge chance of me being too excited about this one to begin with.

That being said, I agree with the other reviewers that since this is a dry cavern, there isn't a whole lot that is going to be exciting to look at. Wet caverns have beautiful formations, this one does not.

Presumably due to those limitations, they spend a good chunk of the tour telling you about a stuffed sloth, mummified cat, some barrels of water and the 4 weddings they've hosted there in however many decades (I guess that's interesting?).

Our tour guide was a friendly younger girl who was trying her best to do a good job, but the cheeseball factor of her jokes and script kind of made me wonder if it wasn't the giant sloth clawing at the wall trying to escape the cave.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank jackcolton

• Polish first
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good for what they have”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Our tour guide was Bill. I know he mentioned that there were several tour guides named Bill, so I'll describe him: he had glasses, wore a ball cap, had a beard, and was average height. He was nice and all, but he had a "tour guide voice" that drives me nuts. I just wanted to tell him to just talk to me like I'm just a person and not a tourist. The pathways were quite steep and could be hard to get though if you have any problems walking. If I remember correctly there were several parts that were over 20%. The most impressive part of this cavern in our opinion was the food, water, and medical supplies that are in there so that it can be used as a fallout shelter. The tour was good considering what the cave had to offer was very limited. I wouldn't recommend coming here unless you have never seen a cavern before.

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice caverns, good stop with kids”
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

We where on our way west to Kingman from a long drive from Tuba city, very nice stop to refresh with the kids, we took the 45 minutes tour, our guide was excellent, we took the last tour at 5 pm, it was nice since they turned off the lights when we where on our way out, so my kids (4,8) could use the flashlight we brought with us, the cavern itself is nice, but for whoever visited the Carlsbad caverns at New Mexico, this cave will be far less impressive.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Harel F
California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great stop for kids.”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Great stop off historic route 66. This was the first time my video playing kids( 8, 15, 15 ) have seen a cavern so for them it was amazing and even educational. We took the shortest tour which I think was 45min. Tours leave every half hour. So call if you have questions. They take you underground in an elevator 210 feet. There wasn't a lot of walking required for this tour. You just make a circle in the cavern and the tour guide explains the history. On this tour they don't take you to see the giant sloth that was found in the cavern but they do show you pictures. But you do see where people can rent out the cavern for $800 to stay the night. Overall a great experience for my kids. Oh, they do have a small restaurant if you need to grab something to eat before getting back on the road. And ask about AAA discount. Also glad we didn't pay for the longer tour saved a few $$ and saw enough.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank necpix
Sierra Vista, Arizona
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Geology and History fun with the Rte. 66 Nostalgia Factor”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Remember being a kid driving long distances to visit relatives with all those billboards advertising places you wished you could stop and see, back in the day before Interstates? I love being an adult and stopping at all those campy places owned by private people, especially on the old scenic roads like Rte. 66. This is a prime example. It is not a fancy cave in MO or KY or IL. It is a hole in the ground that someone discovered, which was later expanded, with an elevator taking you 20+ stories underground. There is a stage, a hotel room setup you can rent for a night, storage of MREs and water from the Cuban Missile Crisis days - pieces of history. Discover why it is now called the Grand Canyon Cavern.

This is a dry cavern, the 3rd largest in the world. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and our group included a child, older adults, families, younger single adults. The guides have a required script but we slowed down his spiel with various questions for which he did know the answers. If you have never been in a dry cave, it might not meet your expectations but if you are willing to open up to the experience there is alot to appreciate from the geology and history as well as the immense size of the cavern.

This was a 45 minute tour. There are some steps and a strong incline, but the air is cool and dry. Tours were running every half hour and I paid $20. I didn't think to ask about discounts, but I had been told they do offer a varied mix of military/AAA/AARP and others. The cavern is located on a scenic piece of Rte. 66 you can drive between Kingman and Seligman. Make a day of it and walk through the shops/museums on either end of this portion of Rte. 66.

I hope to return and catch one of their nighttime ghost tours, just for the fun of it.

Visited August 2014