“Not worth the money”
Review of Kohl's Ranch Lodge

Kohl's Ranch Lodge
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Payson
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Stayed at Kohl's twice in the past year, both in late October. They have a beautiful stone fireplace in the small lobby. I was told both times by the front desk staff they would not start a fire because it was not cold enough. I thought that was crazy since October night's in Payson can get down to the low 30's. Not to mention the fireplace at ANY lodge you visit is the main focus point, and they really should have a fire going the vast majority of time just to set the tone when guests walk through the door.

The basic rooms in the main buidling are large but need major updating. The twin beds are old, lumpy, and extremely uncomfortable. Bathrooms are small and so small its hard to close the door when sitting on the toliet. The heater was blowing cold air during the night preventing me from sleeping, and as a result I woke up early in the morning and went to the lobby to work on my computer. At one point, the front desk agent went out the back door near where I was sitting and propped the door and went outside. The cold draft came through and I waved over to them through the window and asked the staff member if they could close the door. Apparently, this person went outside to have a cigarette, and they replied they had to have the door open so they can hear the phone. NOT WHAT I CALL THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE; so that didn't go over to well with me and the staff member and I had an exchange of words.

I brought all of these issues to the front desk agent when I checked out, and although nice,
she wasn't willing to try to resolve any issues. She did mention that Diamond Resorts was taking over the management and had plans to redo the beds and that if I had asked the front desk agents will usually turn on the fireplace: which was not true in both my cases, because I did ask. I was gaven the general managers card, Vivan, who I called.

From speaking to Vivan, I can see how the lack of customer service skills had filtered down to her front office staff. She was not rude but did not show any concern or interest with wat I had to say, and just seemed like she just did not have the skills to properly handle these situation. She replied that, we try to accommodate our guests when they bring issues to us during their stay and not after. Gee, I thought that's what I was doing when I asked if they could start a fire or close the back door. Am I suppose to get up and at 3am in the morning and ask to be changed over to another room due to a cheap old bed and a broken heater!
Vivan, informed me the new management company. Diamond Resorts has no current plans to update the beds, and from what I have read on the net has many complaints with the timeshare programs as well as with the previous management company iLX Resorts: who apparently went bankrupt.

The point is for the money, (Around $140) its just not worth it.
The sad thing is, there just aren't many choices in the Payson area with a resort like, country setting.

Good note: the waitress in the restrauant was friendly and the food good, and the horse trail ride staff and expericnce was nice.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kohl's Ranch Lodge

Reviewed November 25, 2010

We spent Thanksgiving week ay Kohl's in a two-bedroom pet "cabin.: Service has been excellent. We had the Thanksgiving buffet today and everything tasted wonderul. The wait staff was efficient and fun too.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Didn't do my homework. If I had read the previous reviews I wouild have never booked this lodge. First of all, I drove in from New Mexico and the directions from II are from Payson -- 20 miles PAST the resort; AND the road they are on is not recognized by the GPS. AND the lodge knows it!! So, 40 miles out of my way later, after driving 8 hours, I'm tired and want a nice shower and to relax. Get to my room, very small with a closet bathroom -- and no hot water. OK, get over it, this is in the woods and is pretty and will be relaxing. No, to that as well. They are having a private party for 40+ young adults with the music blaring well into the night in an open area 100 yards from my room.
Next day -- let's go fishing -- go to the "Actvities Desk", no one there, ask the front desk clerk when they will return and she informs me they don't have anyone at that desk -- call the number on the sign if I want to go fishing. I do, no call back for 10 hours-- too late today AND there is a bass tournement tomorrow and he is too busy getting ready for that. No other suggestions as what to do, no list of activities on check-in.
Well, after four days, no one has emptied my trash (and no logical place to dump it); long drives into Payson (a nothing town) are the only recreation found other than hiking -- and it is 95+ and too hot.
Sorry I ever came here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank shetorg
Reviewed August 23, 2010

If you want to get away from it all in the middle of the forest, this is for you! Nice property. Walk to the creek & fish or go to the pool, play tennis, basketball, putt, etc., etc. We came for 1 night & stayed 3 nites! It was relaxing for me, fun for my kid. No cell service tho, so I used my Skype on the computer. Closest town is Payson for phone. Rooms could stand an upgrade however. Bathroom was TINY & lighting throughout was WAY TOO LOW! ILX property has been bought out recently, so who knows what will happen. LOVED the back porch w/rocking chairs. Small kitchenette & small table w/chairs for eating if you choose. I used it for my laptop! Bar opens @ 5 pm & bartender Paul is really nice. He also waits tables, etc. Restaurant food is very good. We will probably make a trip out there again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights, and we felt we were whisked away from the pace of the 21st century. No cellphone - true. Minimal TV channels - true. Old-fashioned no-frills bathroom - true. Felt kind of nice for a few days. Free Wi-Fi in the room (Zane Grey room in the lodge), which was simple but comfortable - perhaps like an old bunk-room. We got "good food" in the restaurant and bar, both of which are very interesting. We fished the stream that meanders through, and marveled at all the old saddles and memorabilia everywhere. It is the perfect setting to imagine what it was like to settle in the west long ago and try to eke out an existence. Beautiful lakes and stunning mountains are nearby, and it's only 20 minutes to town.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1surprise
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Booked two rooms from the pictures I saw which were very nice - HOWEVER, when I got there the first room was exactly as shown; BUT the second one looked like Motel 6 only worse; tiny room; little bity patio facing the parking lot with N-O-I-S-E and ONE bed. I told the front desk I booked over a month ago & asked for 2 beds as I was traveling with my adult son and they said basically too bad;we are full; ridiculous. AFter seeing 2nd room I was really upset & asked why the difference for the same price - said some rooms are different - different!!!!!! Night and day different and for the same money - no way. Should have listened toprevious reviews of restaurant but was told no bar-b-q's so didn't
bring food &they were all over the place. Went to dinner - 7 tables only with people and it took 43 min. wait time; no mushrooms on mushroom burger, one person's was stone cold; only one had a good sirloin dinner. The grounds are nice; the bar was fun; good music; had a great time horseback ridingl; terrific guide; but never again at this hotel. And if you stay one hour over from 11 am till noon it is $25; never heard of such a thing. my comments on grounds, room was for room #1 not mine.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank MauijonYoungtown
Reviewed June 27, 2010

The review just below mine, written by an ILX owner, is a very accurate review. The property is aging, but well maintained. The rooms are clean and the scenery is beautiful. The property is right adjacent to the creek, so bring fishing equipment for the kids.

The restaurant is incredibly slow. I think the backup is primarily with the kitchen, but you simply can't get out in under 90 minutes, no matter the time of day. We finally started calling in our orders and they would call us when the food was on the table -- usually 30-40 minutes later. We would also take the food to go and eat at one of the many picnic tables on the grounds. Speaking of the grounds, the landscaping beautiful and the soft plush grass is great to walk on in bare feet.

Since there is not much to do on the grounds themselves, take a look at some of the lakes in the National Forests. We visited Woods Canyon Lake and Black Canyon Lake. Both were beautiful and less than an hour away.

I did appreciate the WiFi that allowed me to get some critical work done.

The review talking about the altercation at the Circle K I believe was written about the wrong establishment. There is no Circle K within 10 miles of here.

My one negative point is due to the "No Firearms" sign on the front door. The only kind of people who obey No Firearms signs are not the kind of people that Kohl's Ranch needs to worry about. That sign creates a "Criminals Encouraged" zone in this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family