Kohl's Ranch Lodge
$60
$78
Days Inn & Suites Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
$89
$81
Majestic Mountain Inn(Payson)(Great Value!)
$98
$60
$62
Comfort Inn Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
$76
$130
TripAdvisor
All reviewstonto creekhorseback ridingstudio roombocce ballputting greendiamond resorthot tubget awayfull kitchenonsite restaurantoutdoor gamesmini golfsmall kitchenettefish hatcheryelectric fireplacerim countryking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was in serious need of a "get-away" so we booked two nights at Kohl's Ranch -- our first time to stay there. We had a two-bedroom cabin, creek-side, with a terrific deck and its own hot tub. Being there on week nights before school lets out, it was very peaceful and pleasant. My guess is that summer weekends are probably not so quiet.

The facility itself was lovely -- no complaints. The problems relate to what we didn't know (especially since we booked ahead and they had ample opportunity to communicate with us) -- first, that the restaurant was closed while we were there. The saloon also was closed our first night, but we got a great dinner in the saloon the second night. Second, they had told us when we booked that the wifi there was unreliable, so we didn't take a laptop. When we got there -- they had a new system and working wifi! It would have been nice (and good marketing) to let us know ahead! (There is an available computer in the lobby, if you're desperate.)

We asked (at check-in) if there was still a restaurant at Christopher Creek and were told yes! Plus a small market. Off we go to Christopher Creek (about 4 miles), only to discover that the restaurant regularly is not open any of the nights we'll be there. REALLY annoying that the lodge staff 1) didn't know,or 2) didn't say.

The cabin had a well-equipped small kitchen, so we stocked up from the market to cover the next few meals. (Not the "vacation" I had pictured.)

This was a two-bedroom with a tv in each bedroom AND the living room. The cabin is all knotty pine with little to absorb sound. Drying my hair in the bathroom was loud for my husband watching tv in the front room. Be aware of the potential for minimal privacy and maximum noise.

We would stay here again. We'd just be a lot more precise in asking questions, and avoid the busy season. Fall should be lovely.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JanetLJ
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I ran up to Kohl's Ranch last weekend. What a great place. We loved it so much, we decided to book a family vacation in June.

We stayed in a one-bedroom and it was the perfect size. It had a kitchenette, but we did not use it. Tonto Creek runs through the property and they have a sport court and sand volleyball court.

We ate dinner and breakfast at the Zane Grey Steakhouse and had very nice meals.

I would recommend this to any one, even families.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brices123
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I decided to go on a little getaway for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We stayed in a 1 bedroom cabin overlooking the creek. It had a full kitchen, bath, fireplace and a whirlpool tub on the deck. It was beautiful and so relaxing. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed listening to the creek with the breeze coming in. At night we enjoyed the fireplace. When we checked in they gave us goodies and a card and wished us a happy anniversary. We went hiking and hopefully next time we will try horseback riding. It was a great and memorable anniversary.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia S
diamondresorts, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about you and your husband’s recent stay here at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge. We were quite honored to hear that you both choose our resort to spend your 1 year wedding anniversary. It was with great delight that we also read that you had a great and memorable time. We look forward to seeing you both in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is a Diamond Resorts Property that we traded our timeshare for. We stayed in a 2-Bed, 2-Bath cabin. It had a spacious kitchen, was clean with a living/dinning room area as you entered. There is a stream running behind the cabins with a wonderful little green area with BBQ's. It sits amid the forest and is 17 miles from the town of Payson. It is a peaceful setting. The staff is highly responsive to any issues. There is no AT&T phone reception here. The internet connection was not good. They were changing providers to clear up the issue. Even with the update, there were times that we could only get reception in the bedroom.
We enjoyed the property but would stay in the Pinetop area next time we go to the RIm Country.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Diamond R, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay here at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge. We were glad to hear that our accommodations, location, and customer exceeded your expectations and contributed to your positive stay. Our location is a huge draw for many of our guests. While it is in a very peaceful, quiet location; one of the drawbacks is that cell phone reception and Wi-Fi signals are not the best. As you stated, we have made steps to try in resolve this issue with a change in providers. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We hope that you will consider us again the next time you are visiting the area.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was an interesting hotel experience for me. About a month ago I tried to call to book a hotel stay for me and my family, but the lady was quite rude on the phone. The website was not working, and I was frustrated. She insisted the website worked and I could book my stay on the site. I asked her if I could book with her and she said that they only do website bookings. I ended up finding it on Expedia, so I booked it through them. The pictures and reviews on trip advisor looked to cool to pass up. I got an additional 20 percent discount. through Expedia anyway. She was the only rude person we with there. Everyone else was super nice and treated us like royalty. We didn't pay that much, so I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised when we got there.

First off, the ranch is located about 20 miles away from Payson. Even the small lodge rooms come equipped with a mini kitchen, so you can get groceries on the way and spend all your time at this enchanting place.

Don't expect a hotel type place, this is more of a condo situation. There was no housekeeping services. You have to go up to the front desk to get shampoo, towels, etc. This was never advertised. The lodge rooms are pretty tiny, but it is nice being by all the activities. The cabins are located on the exterior of the property. My in laws stayed in a cabin. The lady on the phone said all the one bedroom cabins come with private jacuzzis. Well the one my in laws stayed in did not have one. They were also located on the other side of the creek, and you had to drive back an forth to the lodge for stuff. That was a little annoying. It would be super easy for them to put a little bridge across the creek, but they don't have one, so you have to drive to those particular cabins. They should do that. If the website happens to be working, book through them, so you know what you are getting.

A couple more concerns: didn't like the resort fee (10 bucks a night), just charge everything up front please, and the bed was super hard. It felt like I was sleeping on the floor. Also are keys didn't consistently work. You had to stick the key in just the right way or it would not read it. I had to put it in like 30 times one time. I even changed out keys and had the same problem.

As you noticed I gave this place a higher rating despite some issues I had. There are so many cool things about this place, that you just won't get at a typical run of the mill hotel. They had unlimited free DVD rentals, beautiful pool and spa right outside our room, bocce ball, tennis, horseshoes, playground, putting green, volleyball, hiking, treasure hunt, scavenger hunt, smores, free popcorn, horseback riding, workout room, library, fun cruise ship like actvities, and more. I would definitely stay here again if it were the right price. It was just too fun and unique. I think if they could just work on some of the issues I mentioned above this place would be too awesome. By the way, the kitchen even had a dishwasher, so you didn't have to do dishes by hand. WOW! Overall, loved the place.

Room Tip: Make sure you book through them or you are not guaranteed what you will get. If you are in the lodge, make sure you are pool side. Those rooms are much better rooms. Also if you book a one bedroom cabin, make sure you are getting one with a private jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family