“The best place to escape the heat”
Review of Kohl's Ranch Lodge

Kohl's Ranch Lodge
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Payson
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I have loved this spot since my first visit over 30 years ago. It is all about the location. If you live in Phoenix and it's 115 degrees sometimes you just need to cool off. In about 90 minutes you are in the cool pines and will need a jacket at night. Behind the lodge is a creek you want to jump in as soon as you get to.

My daughter enjoyed many family visits to Kohls ranch so I treated her to a night and she came back with rave reviews. A standard room is great if you get it facing the creek. Much better than facing the pool. You can sit out in the evening and enjoy a glass of wine on your patio. The pool and playground were enjoyable and they had no complaints on the food in the lodge where they liked breakfast the most. Only complaint I heard was the beds were NOT comfortable - but neither is a sleeping bag if you were camping.

Now I want to book one of the 2 bedroom cabins for my grown kids to go back together. It's a place we have all loved and now can take the grandchildren.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Palina
There are newer reviews for Kohl's Ranch Lodge

Reviewed August 5, 2011

Picnic Griller was served for $15.95 - we received one hot dog, or one hamburger, or one chicken breast/pot. salad. Tried to negotiate price with GM & Rest. Mgr. Didn't do anything but take our money. If you plan a trip to this area, don't turn in to Kohl's Ranch go on to another spot - you won't be taken advantage of!

2  Thank Sancylea
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We had a great time at Kohl's Lodge. We booked a cabin right next to the stream #204. We caught 10 fish between the four of us from the stream. Our cabin was very clean inside and out. Everything was stocked well in the kitchen. We just had to bring the food to grill. The hot tub on the deck was a wonderful surprise. The staff was very nice and attentive. This is a great place for families. My kids had a great time playing in the playground, basketball, volleyball, mini golf and bocce ball. There was a fire pit going right outside the pool where there were free smores to make.

My only complaints: Check in time was 4pm. We came a bit early to see if our cabin was ready. It wasnt ready til exactly 4pm. I think for the price I spent ($260) for the night, check in time could be a bit earlier. We wanted to enjoy more of the day at the Lodge.
The restaurant next to the lodge was disapointing. They had very little staff for a busy night. There was no apoligizing just a "deal with it attitude". We were charged for drinks we never ordered. The food was disapointing and very overpriced. Either go into town for food or bring your own. They have clean propane grills all over the property. Do not spend a penny to eat at the restaurant. We weren't the only ones who were disapointed.

1  Thank Jboysmamma
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Went with family and reserved a 2 bedroom delux. We had the confirmation number Front desk said sorry you can only have a 1 bedroom because someone wanted to extend their stay. We paid our points and maintence fees. The manager took us to see the one bedroom. What a shock! It smelled bad (maybe mold) and had dead bugs in the cabin. The view from the small porch was a dirt lot. The bed which I tested had an old and very used matrress. I was told by the manager that they over book all the time. This is against federal law. Lesson learned: Don't think your going to get the delux accommations even if you have a confirmed reservation and had already paid the points. What a fraud!!!! The staff was not helpful or friendly! Run from Kohl's Ranch Lodge.

5  Thank unhappytraveler0115
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My whole family (there were over 50 of us coming from as far away as South Dakota) had planned a weekend getaway to celebrate our parents' 65th anniversary. Plans were set in motion in Sept of 2010 - getting our cabins reserved, talking to the caterer, etc... Did have some problems getting the cabins reserved in each of our individual names - I had called once, then found out from my sister that they didn't have my information on file, called again with all the info - was told I would receive my confirmation via email - never did. Approximately a month before our reunion was to take place, one of my sisters went out to the Ranch just to be sure everything was in order only to find out they did not have my or another of our sister's reservations. Claimed we never called to put the cabins in our names BUT they did have our phone numbers and addresses on file. How in the world would they have that info if we hadn't called? Problem resolved and the cabins were available for us. Had requested all cabins be located together but understood when they couldn't do that. Accommodations were nice - my cabin was one of the newer ones - was actually surprised on how modern it was! Had a few minor problems - no hand soap, kleenex or handtowels in the master bath. No extra toilet paper either and we ran out right away... Our refrigerator wasn't keeping our food cold - called the front desk and they said a part was on order for it. But I can live with all of this - what happened at our catered meal was insane! My sister had set up a BBQ buffet - grilled hamburgers, hot dogs & chicken breasts, potato salad, chips, garnishes & condiments and tea & water for $15.95/adult and $7.95/child (4-12yrs old). (Just a little side note - none of our food was actually "grilled" on an outdoor grill like we were told - cooked in the kitchen and then brought outside) When I went through the buffet, there was only one hamburger left and from the way the caterer was standing and noticing the same thing I was - I knew he wasn't cooking any more. I don't care for chicken breasts so I took a hot dog. My brother-in-law was in line after me and tried to take a hamb and a chicken breast and Randy, the caterer, told him "only one entree per person"!!! Soooo - I had myself a $15.95 hot dog - WOOHOO!! Guess his idea of a buffet and our idea of a buffet are totally different! And on top of the price, we were charged a 28% gratuity which included a $50 setup fee. WOW right? And no one waited on me, picked up my dirty plate or anything but we had to pay a gratuity - guess the caterer got a little richer off us. My parents had hired him to feed us all breakfast on our last morning there and that was actually decent but shortly after the last person was through and without any warning, he took off with all the food so no one could get seconds - unbelievable! AND my parents were charged a 35% gratuity! We did meet with Randy, the caterer and also with Lauree, the GM, told them all of our complaints and were not offered a compromise. Since I've been home, I have been in contact with Lauree and we were offered our $50 setup fee back - big whoop! So heed my warning - if you do hire Randy to cater anything - get every little detail in writing!!! I think Lauree knows we were royally taken advantage of but can't (or won't) say anything because or her position. So in closing - we had a great family reunion despite our catering woes BUT the troubles we had left such a bad taste in my mouth - we won't be coming back....

1  Thank pyschokitty
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Took the family up to Kohl's Ranch lodge and was amazed how nice it was. We stayed in a cabin near the creek and had our own spa. The grounds were very well kept and a wide range of activities from tennis to bocce ball. Their wireless was spotty on the outer edges of the resort. (For those who want to watch NetFlix on their tablets while swinging in the chair)

There are plenty of hikes nearby, on-site horses, very nice staff.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CasualTraveler001
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed here for Father's Day weekend. This place is so beautiful. It's off the beaten path since the highway no longer runs right in front of the property which is a huge plus! They have studio rooms, 1 bdrm and 2 bdrm cabins to choose from but it seems to fill up quickly so make your plans early! We have already made our reservations for next year through Interval International as this is a timeshare property. There is so much to do here and it's great for families (many amenities for children including a playground, basketball court, mini golf & volley ball) as well as couples wanting a quiet get-a-way. They are also pet friendly which is huge! We don't find too many great properties that allow and welcome pets! The creek runs right through the property & the trees are all huge providing lots of shady spots for reading or just relaxing. They even have swings, benches and hammocks. Yes, this place is older but we found it to be great- it's not the Marriott but that's not what we were looking for so for us it was perfect. If you want to enjoy the outdoors, hike, relax, sit by the creek, shop in nearby towns, go on some scenic drives and enjoy the Rim Country this place is wonderful, I would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Plan ahead and request a room/cabin by the creek
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple