“The best of both worlds”

Christopher Creek Lodge
Ranked #1 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Payson
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This place was amazing! We stayed overnight here in the Pony Express Motel this past weekend, coming from Phoenix, and it was like camping with the comforts of home. And the Caretaker was more than accommodating. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The scenery of the property was just breathtaking. After doing some exploring in the afternoon, we found a cozy little spot behinds our rooms (me and my family had 2) where the had tables, a grill, fire pit and a play ground for the kids. The caretaker kept coming over to check in us and see that we had all we needed. We had such a Wonderful experience and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank mon4582

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights in Cabin #4 last week, our first visit to this property. This cabin has a separate bedroom with a king bed. There is one night stand and an open shelving unit. A couple of hooks on the wall would’ve been handy for robes or jackets, though. The bathroom had newer tile on the floor and the good-sized shower. There is only liquid soap available at both the sink and shower, so don’t forget your bar soap, if you prefer. The kitchen had an apartment-size electric stove, a full-size refrigerator, a small microwave, a coffee maker and a toaster. The enamel sink had issues – very stained and chipped. The appliances were spotless and the “camping grade” dishware was nicer than I expected. The table with attached benches was a little hard to negotiate, but was sturdy. Overall, the cabin was very clean, although the dark carpet looked a bit worse for the wear. There is somewhat of a tripping hazard with a shallow step from the foyer to the K/LR, as it would be easy to overlook. The lighting was a “Goldilocks” issue: the kitchen and table lights were on one switch, therefore very bright together and the floor lamp bulb was so dim as to be useless; nothing “just right.” The bedroom and bathroom lighting were also dim. There is Wi-Fi, but it is only available in limited spots on the property, not including the cabins. The back porch is the full length of the cabin and has 2 chairs and a wooden bench. There is no front porch. Only the cabins are situated right on the creek and there is easy access to the water from Cabin #4 and the adjacent cabins. The cabins are less than 50 yds. from the main road, with only the creek and a few trees as buffers. Since we were there on weekdays in mid-September, there wasn’t much traffic. I imagine it might be noisy during the summer months and weekends.
There is a lot of info on the lodge’s channel on the TV – over 40 minutes’ worth – and you have to watch it all to glean what you need. One thing specifically mentioned was the local fire department’s phone number; it’s a local 10-digit number, not 911. It would be nice if that number were posted somewhere in the cabin. It would also be nice if the office/contact numbers were posted or listed somewhere in the cabin. We had a couple of minor issues that required a walk to the office, which is not staffed 24 hrs.
This property has several types of accommodations which are situated close together. For example, the cabins are about 15 ft. apart. But the acreage is heavily wooded, so that eases any crowded feeling. We had plenty of birds and squirrels to watch and even saw a doe and fawn near the office one afternoon. All in all, the lodge suited our needs for a short woodsy getaway.

Room Tip: Check out the website thoroughly. There are several types of accommodations available at a variety o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank allme
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We loved the lodge! It was an amazing vacation for us and we are definitely thinking about coming back next year! We had a family (and close friend) get together at the lodge for a friend’s birthday. The man at the front desk was very friendly and very patient with us, believe me we are difficult sometimes! He went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable, he even came out when we were gathered around the fire just to make sure that we didn’t need anything else! The children were very accommodating making sure that our rooms/cabins were well supplied. We will definitely be recommending this place to other friends of ours. Thank you to the Lewis family for such an enjoyable get away!

Room Tip: Cabins on the creek are amazing, you open your front door and there is the creek just past the porch...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shandra L
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a wonderful lodge to relax, play and enjoy nature in comfort. Our "kids" are two small dogs and they had a great time exploring and walking on the lodge grounds (on leashes of course!). My husband and I had a great time walking the dogs and relaxing as well. The cabin was tidy and clean and the manager and his wife were very friendly and accomodated all our needs. Although it rained most of the time the first couple of days we were there, the cabin was nice and cozy and we could sit on the back porch and watch the rain.

Our cabin was situated creek side and our family enjoyed listening to it day and night. If you're sensitive to sounds at night you may not want this feature but we enjoyed watching and listening to the creek even at night as it lulled us to sleep.

Thank you to the managers Brendan and his wife and staff for making sure our stay was restful and enjoyable. We will be sure to come back and stay at Christopher Creek Lodge soon.

Room Tip: Make sure to get one of the creek side cabins. This definitely enhanced our stay.
1  Thank Becky B
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at Christopher Creek last week,last minute and I got the last cabin available.It is so nice to be able to stay at a lodge and be welcomed the way you are by the Lewis family!I love the property,I love the rustic cabins,the serene beauty of the stream that runs through the property...Everything is perfect!This is my second visit while the property has been managed by a young couple that go way above and beyond "customer service"...Brandon came over while I was making a very poor attempt at fire starting,and got an awesome fire going for us! "If" there is anything you need,Brandon is right there and makes you feel VERY welcome!I was very glad to see that they were still there running the lodge and am looking forward to going back soon!I take my grandchildren up from Phoenix and I know its a great experience that they will never forget!Great family place!

Room Tip: Over the years I have stayed in several of the available cabins and have always had an awesome time!
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My kids and I really had a great time here. We stayed in a cabin that was right by the creek and it was spacious enough for us. My kids really enjoyed exploring the creek and property and the fire pit gathering at night. The family that runs the place is awesome. We will definitely go back many times. Great memories and times.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here for one night and it was by far the worst experience we have ever had staying at a hotel/cabin. The first incident was when my kids were playing by the creek when I noticed our neighbors shooting BB guns in my kids general direction. I told the property mgr who said he would go talk to them. Later that evening my family and I went to find out if they were going to have bon fires that night. We had to walk by the cabin where they were shooting BB guns earlier when we were suddenly met by an unleashed pit bull mix. I couldn't believe this was happening and went to call the property mgr again. I told him that I was going to call the police and he advised me not to and he would take care of it. After a heated discussion with the property mgr I hung up. The police showed up but, it was to tell me that my family had to leave the property because I was the issue not the neighbors. I asked for a refund and we would leave but, they wouldn't give us one. I had to beg to let them let us stay that night since everything was booked up. The next morning as we were about to leave another deputy showed up to tell us we were trespassing!!! I should have called the police in the beginning and not let the inexperienced property mgr handle the issues we were having. It basically came down to my word versus the property mgr's word. Stay here if you like but, I personally don't think it's a safe place for young children to stay.

10  Thank Dave G
Lodge M, Owner at Christopher Creek Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

*** PLEASE READ OUR RESPONSE *** This guest was incredibly mean to other guests. He was using fowl language and being threatening to other guests and also our lodge managers. WE called the police TWICE on him (and have the police reports to prove it). All he is doing is making good on his threat of "slamming us online" if we called the police on him. This person was really nasty and we did our very best to not allow him to ruin the time of others. He is definitely not allowed back and I hope you will disregard all of his exaggerations and lies. To our other great guests we want to thank you for alerting us to this behavior and we did our best to promptly deal with a thankfully very rare situation. Thanks for reading our reply and may you have safe and happy travels.