“Slice of Heaven”

Ranked #1 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Payson
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Slice of Heaven”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Back to basics. It is not fancy by any means. It is not the Super 8, Best Western Nor Motel 6. What it is, is a unique slice of heaven. There is no room service, telephone in room or cell service. You're back to basics! For me the enviorement was very rustic. We stayed in the Trail Bunk. For my family of 3 it was just perfect! It is smaller than I had expected but considering we did not vacation there for the room it made no difference to us. A good rule of thumb is when you arrive and plan on using their appliance, cookware and serving items...clean them. Not saying they're dirty, just saying I'm a bit of a germ freak. The Trail Bunks come with a sliding glass door so you're never cut off from nature. There is no air conditioner nor swamp cooler, however they do provide a box fan and has a ceiling fan to circulate the air. During the day we left the door open and it was pleasent. I did take my own fan cause I sleep with one and weren't sure if they had one. The beds are not very comfortable but considering we could feel the springs we slept fine. Enough of all that.....they have a tiny playground and a tiny two story playhouse, also lent my daughter a bike to ride. :) The creek is close by and fun to hop along on the rocks. The night time was by far the best for me. I grew up in the country ( now live in the city next to a busy BUSY road) and would fall asleep listening to the sound of the frogs and other night time critters. With the creek being right there it was the most beautiful sound and brought back lots of fond memories. We ARE going back and will continue. The office was friendly and helpful. Just good people and a great place.

Room Tip: If you have more than 4 people rent a cabin.
Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I didnt realize how small these units are in the motel. I was out fishing most of the time so the motel didnt bother me too much. To get to the loft bunks you have to walk sideways coming down is even more thrilling, Bathroom was fine but whoever put your tile in should be coming back to fix it. TV is way too high up on the wall for the bottom floor and too far down for the loft. Next morning, I grabbed the coffee pot and almost threw up in my mouth....MOLD!! I understand that maybe this was missed during clean up but missed maybe the last 2 weeks? Parking is crazy and tight. I dont recommend this place unless you plan on spending most of your time out of the unit.

Room Tip: Anything but the Motel...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nick K
CCLodgeOwner, Owner at Christopher Creek Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Hello. First of all, if there was mold in the coffee pot I am embarrassed and very sorry! That should of course never occur. Having said that, try as we might (and we do try very hard) we are not perfect. I can tell you that had this been brought to our attention we would have remedied it immediately accompanied by a large apology. This guest stayed in the Pony Express-Motel unit and they're right the loft stairs are narrow, and the parking is tight. We are very upfront about this and even mention this on the website. For teens, kids, and even many adults the loft is just fine. The parking for most vehicles is also quite suitable (for larger vehicles we have other areas we ask folks to park in). While we wish this would have been another 5-star review, we do appreciate the feedback and will use it to make sure we are continually improving. Thanks for reading our response.
Chandler, AZZ
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed here one night, it was enough, there was no one around when we arrived, the shower was nothing more than a drip and we were unable to rinse the lousy liquid soap off. Room was clean but the bed was like sleeping on a board.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Naturesbest2012
CCLodgeOwner, Owner at Christopher Creek Lodge, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Please read our Management Response: We do not believe this review pertains our lodge and have asked Trip Advisor to remove it. (Thanks again to all of our great guests for their other kind words)
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed July 31, 2012

For many years Christopher Creek Lodge has been a place to visit even though we now live in the pines somewhere else. The new Manager Brandon and his wife Angela were very friendly and helpful in answering any questions we might have. The cabin was clean and well maintained. We are looking forward to visiting again in the future with family members, which includes some of our great-grandchildren.
Art & Lois D.

Room Tip: Cabin 10 is the last cabin on the road so its quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lois D
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed an overnight with a friend on a fishing/canoeing trip to AZ high country. Warm friendly greeting on arrival, very clean room, tucked in the Ponderosa pines. Check in, check out couldn't have been easier. 20 minutes to Woods Canyon lake. Big fluggy towels.
I would return absolutely, and take my "peeky" wife with me. Nick Head, Scottsdale, Arizona

Room Tip: We were in 5-A.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We got married at Christopher Creek and enjoyed our stay at the lodge. We had the Pioneer Cabin #4 and it was perfect! Loved the creek & view at the backdoor and the great photo-op's there for pre-wedding shots. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I can't wait to go up and stay longer next time! What a beautiful place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Arizona
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The cabins and rooms are very well shaded. The location is convenient, yet far enough away from the main road so as not to hear road noise. The cabin was clean and cozy; be sure to remember to bring your own coffee. The place was fairly quiet for how many people were on property, it was certainly quiet in the evenings after 10:00 - 10:30 PM. I'd certainly recommend it, and return myself as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple