“Food great, service getting faster.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ayothaya Thai Cafe

Ayothaya Thai Cafe
Ranked #11 of 71 Restaurants in Payson
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Arizona
“Food great, service getting faster.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Very large variety of food and have enjoyed everything I have tried. Lunches can be very busy so get there before 11:30 or after 1:00 to beat the crowds. When the restaurant opened, service was very slow and it seemed to take forever to get your bill. This last time we went, much better and we were in and out in well under an hour. We make this place a weekly lunch outing if not more often. Well worth the time and if you like Thai food, this is a great place.

• Visited October 2012

Payson
“Just getting better and better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The food is really fantastic. Honest. And very well presented. The ambiance is excellent - linen table cloths, romantic lighting, classical guitar on weekends, etc. In the past the only real negative was the service. As the entire ownership and staff is from Thailand, I imagine that American customs were hard to adapt to. I have watched the service steadily improve month by month. At this time it still falls a little short of a 4-5 star restaurant. But, hey, this is Payson. The Thai food is really about as good as it gets. This restaurant continues to be number 1 in Payson. Fargos runs a close second, followed by 3-4 others.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Steve-KRIM-FM
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fabulous Thai Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

The food is fantastic here. The food is beautifully presented, extremely well prepared and incredibly well seasoned. It is obvioulsy prepared as it is ordered...no fast food here. You do have to indicate the level of "heat" that you prefer as it can be spicy, which I happen to like. The Drunken Noodles and the chicken curry are my favorites although I have not had anything that I did not like at this restaurant. The service is slow at times, but we just do not go there when we are in a hurry. The staff is always pleasant. It is one of our favorite places in Payson. We were never charged for a take out as we often order a second meal to go we like it so much. Great place.

• Visited September 2012
Payson, Arizona, United States
“Alright”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I noticed many complain. I enjoyed the food though service was slow at times.. I go here occasionaly but it's expensive so if you really want Thai go here but it is pricey

Payson, Arizona
“THE worst restaurant experience I've ever had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I've lived in Payson for over 8 years. Over time, my expectations for good customer service here have lowered considerably. I was hesitant to join my friends for lunch at the Avothaya Thai Cafe this week because I had been there before and the service was incredibly slow. I decided to give it a try again, thinking they probably had improved since the restaurant opened 1-1/2 years ago. I was very wrong! This was truly the worst restaurant experience that I've ever had in my life!

I was one of 4 people who ordered lunch before Noon. The restaurant was not busy. There were 2 servers attending our table together. Two of our lunches came out but the other 2 didn't arrive at our table for at least another 10 minutes. When the server delivered the first 2 meals, she did not indicate when the other meals would be out. There was no apology for the delay.

In order to make use of a deal that I had purchased for this restaurant, I ordered 2 meals, one to eat then and one1 to go. When we got our checks, I received two separate bills. The bill for the To-go meal was $3 higher than it was listed on the menu so I asked the server about it. She said it was $3 higher because it was a To-go meal. I told her that I had not been advised of a higher price when I placed the order and I would have ordered something else, if I had known about the price difference. She said okay, took my deal voucher to cover the meals and walked away.

My friends and I sat around the table talking. The second server came over to the table a few minutes later and told me that the To-go meals are dinner portions so they are priced at dinner prices. Again, I told her that I hadn't been advised of any of this when I placed the order. She walked away. My friends and I continued to talk at the table.

A few minutes later the first server came back to the table again. At first, I couldn't understand what she was saying and asked her to clarify. Neither of the servers conversed very well in English. She said that she would have to take some food out of the To-go bag that was sitting on the table beside me because they gave me a dinner portion and I was only paying for a lunch portion. I couldn't believe my ears!

I got up and left the food on the table in a furor. By the time that I got almost to the door, I realized that I was leaving food that I had paid for and I had planned to have it for dinner that night. I asked for the manager who was out on the floor at the time. I went over to her and expressed my disbelief at the request to take food out of my To-Go bag. She never said a word to me. It appeared to me that she didn't understand what I was saying. I finally told the server to go ahead and take some food out of my To-Go bag. She took the bag into the kitchen.

I waited with my friends by the door for several minutes and when no one came back with my To-Go bag, I asked the Server for it. Then, she went into the kitchen and brought it out to me. I served the To-Go meal for dinner that night and threw most of it in the trash because it was too spicy for us, although according to the menu, it was a "mild" dish. Unless you're trying to raise low blood pressure, avoid this place. If it hasn't improved in the 1-1/2 years since it opened, it never will get better. It's no wonder that they have to offer deals for people to come back there. I still have another deal that I purchased for this restaurant, but I will not go back there again.

• Visited August 2012