Mazatzal Hotel & Casino
Quality Inn Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
$87
QualityInn
Kohl's Ranch Lodge(Payson)(Great Value!)
$79
  • Pool
$78
$60
Majestic Mountain Inn(Payson)(Great Value!)
$98
Days Inn & Suites Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
$89
$81
$60
Comfort Inn Payson(Payson)(Great Value!)
$76
$74
Agoda.com
$62
All reviewsfood voucherplayers cardtable gamesfollowing morningnon smokingking bedslotsbingodimeaccommodationsratesweekdayazdresservalleyheat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband, our two young boys, and myself stayed here for one night. I looked at all of the hotels in Payson, and really liked the amenities this hotel provided. I liked that the room was a suite, that there were good restaurants inside the hotel, and that my husband could enjoy the evening at the tables.

When walking in, the resort smells very smokey and smells heavily of strong perfume. Looking around, we were the youngest by many, many years.

The hotel room was clean and nice and smelled fine. The beds and bedding were comfortable. There was also a peasant surprise...the pool is indoors! From what I could tell from the website, it appeared that it was an outdoor pool. It was nice taking the boys for a dip, however the water was still a bit chilly.

After checking in, my husband went down to play blackjack. His experience at the table was not pleasant. The dealer made some mistakes and my husband never even got the drink he ordered. He was nearly ignored when he sat down.

When we decided to go downstairs to go to the restaurant, we were immediately told that we could not walk through the casino with the children. Having visited Vegas a few times with children, we jnew we were able to walk thorough the casino, but couldn't stop at a machine. I told the abrupt staff member that we were headed to the restaurant, and she said we'd have to walk all the way around. We did this (even though we were still walking through the casino) and found the restaurant. As we stepped foot into the restaurant, we were again stopped and told we couldn't enter. Upon questioning this woman, she said we could eat at Cedar Ridge and led us to the restaurant. At this point, we felt defeated and wanted to leave. It was almost as if our children were diseased!

The restaurant was good, however, our waiter was slow and badly needed a shower. His body odor lingered at the table once he would walk away. Yuck!

We were on the second floor of the hotel. We could tell immediately that the floors were thin; when we walked, it was loud and hollow sounding. We tried to keep our boys from running, and honestly, tried to keep them sitting. But, our 25 and 35 pound boys made so much noise, that the people below us called in a complaint. We weren't surprised. How do you get young boys to tiptoe? As we were in bed to sleep, the people above us were extremely loud as well. But I'm fairly certain they were just walking from room to room. Be weary...the floors/ceilings are thin!

If you are a senior citizen, this would be a pleasant hotel for you. If you are under 40, you may feel a bit discriminated against. The staff treated us badly!

Room Tip: Floors/ceilings are thin!! Go for the third floor, but beware that you might get a complaint from walking around!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kelly_Peoria
Reviewed April 13, 2013

As a non-smoker, I wondered how it would be to stay in a casino hotel, where I stayed as part of an event. While there were many smokers in the casino during the evenings, they must have spent a fortune on their air filtration system because there was no trace of smoke or even the scent of cigarettes in my room which was a spacious, very comfortable suite, complete with living room, very spacious bath and large bedroom. I learned that all of the rooms are suites and mine was one of the smaller ones. The food at the restaurant was good and very reasonably priced, although the lunch service was slow. I was impressed that a large number of staff were seniors. Event accommodations were quite nice. In all, it was a pleasant surprise and quite comfortable for my first ever stay in a casino hotel. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. I can see why many feel so welcome here.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GailGarber
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed for one night and was pleasantly surprised by the room and the staff. The room was very clean and spacious, with a separate living area. Although the casino, itself, was smokey-- the rooms are fresh smelling without any odors at all.
I asked the front desk for a couple of extras to be delivered to my room before check in-- When I arrived, everything was exactly how I requested it.

Room Tip: Casino and restaurant are pretty smokey
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bborich
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were travelling late into the evening after being held up on a freeway for a few hours. We decided to stay in Payson and were pleasantly surprised by the two room suites--which I believe are their standard rooms. Very nice sized rooms and friendly staff at the hotel and casino. Restaurant servers were great, gave good suggestions for food and the results were wonderful. Beautiful country aroound here and really enjoyed the trip and hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joan P
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had two rooms for our extended family with children over the Thanksgiving holiday. The rooms were nicely appointed. I agree with the previous reviewer who thought that the rooms should be flip-flopped with the living room having the benefit of the large windows while the bedroom was on the reverse end of the suite. We all enjoy reading and and playing games and we were disappointed that the rooms did not have better lighting. There is no lobby in which one might enjoy visiting and playing games. The majority of clientele were there to gamble. We weren't. The Thanksgiving buffet was very good. We returned the following morning and ordered off the menu and had a decent breaky. We returned again the next morning and waited 15 minutes before our order was taken and then waited an hour before we were served. Needless to say, we ate our other meals at local restaurants that were much more accommodating. We were quite disappointed that the swimming pool was closed for an entire day for repairs while we were there. We also did not like having to pass through the casino in order to get to the restaurant. The outside was nicely decorated for the holidays. The Mazatzal Hotel and Casino is operated by a very small tribe (only 150 members?) and I hope that this benefits the tribal members financially.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family