“Hit & Miss For Us”

Mercedes
Ranked #6 of 8 Restaurants in Patagonia
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Tucson, Arizona
“Hit & Miss For Us”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Went for lunch yesterday after birding all morning. Service was quick and friendly. I had Chiles Relenos and wife had green chile hamburger. Mine was a hit, very good. Hers was a miss, seemed like a frozen patty. Chips and salsa were also very good, if a little too spicy for the wife. We would definitely try again, but stick to Mexican cuisine.

• Visited May 2014

Ottawa
“real Mexican food”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Unpretentious basic Mexican food in an informal setting with outdoor seating - menudo is satisfying and other dishes are 'standard' and reasonably executed; service is fine and prices are modest. What you see is what you get and consistent; we have been back several times.

Visited March 2014
Elgin, Arizona
“Big improvement from several years ago”
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Mercedes used to be hit and miss and as a result it had been several years since our last visit, but we were presently surprised when we took the chance to meet friends for lunch there today. While the atmosphere is pretty average, friendly staff and good service. Very good enchiladas, and tacos. Rellenos are easy to mess up, but my wife's were excellent. Tasty food in a funky/quaint setting, a good fit for patagonia.

Visited November 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had breakfast on a Saturday in August here. It was about 9:30AM - prime Saturday breakfast time. The place was empty except for one other fellow there who was from out of town (like me) and hungover just as badly (We had a very good time the night before at the Wagon Wheel Saloon). The lack of locals (or any type of crowd) should have alerted me.

I ordered the typical eggs (over easy) and bacon. The eggs were indeed over easy, but not well presented. They were "bunched up" and just lousy looking - however they were tasty. The bacon was a big disappointment. A very small, thin portion of little bacon "bits" - certainly not what anyone would call "strips" of bacon. The hash browns were very greasy and insufficiently cooked. The plate was served with passably flavored refried beans. So kind of mediocre so far, but here's the killer. The plate and food was COLD when it arrived at my table. This had to be the cooks fault as I could see when the plate was presented to the serving window and the server brought it to me promptly. Now many years ago, I worked in a busy diner as a breakfast cook. I know how it should be done. It was apparent to me that from the quality of the plate, the cook was going thru the motions. There was no attempt to make this breakfast memorable (in a good way!). Indeed he/she made it memorable in a way that reflects poorly on this establishment.

Visited August 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Three Out of Five Ain't Bad”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Other reviewers have covered the basics. This is local, friendly, fast Mexican food. This isn't an out-of-the-way or gastro recommendation. But, if you're near and want some local flavor, then you could do worse. Coffee: average; Salsa: above average; Food: average. With that said, and with limited choices, we would return and probably will be back.

• Visited April 2013