“Perfect ranch”
Review of Circle Z Ranch

Circle Z Ranch
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This ranch was amazing. Everything! Sadly my kids got the stomach bug and couldn't enjoy our trip. 5 star. You get to know people because first you have riding classes together and you have all meals together. There is a game room too and a bar and a pool and a huge field For kids to play with. Just amazing! Highly suggest.

Room Tip: Every room is awesome!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Going to a guest ranch has been a dream of mine since I was a child. A chance in counter with a friend of ours who had been going to the Circle Z for ten years led me to decide to give myself a trip there as a birthday gift to myself. It did not disappoint. The horses are well mannered and willing. The trails are breathtaking. The food wonderful. I also became part of the wonderful coincidences that is the majec of the Circle Z. I plan on returning soon with as many of my family members as I can round up. YeeHaa!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joan S
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was our third visit to Circle Z and I think it was the best! Staff and management alike are trying their best to make this a never-to-be-forgotten experience for guests both novice and experienced.

This is why it is the best guest ranch in Arizona:
(1) The selection of horses is outstanding whether you want to lope or just walk; under the supervision of George and Jennie they are well cared for and the wranglers are experienced and kind.
(2) The managers Pam and Jock bend over backwards to make life comfortable and fun.
(3) Socializing with other guests is faciltated by the Cantina where we gather for a drink (BYOB) and appetizers before dinner.
(4) Food is excellent and very very plentiful. Heather is doing a great job; so are the servers.
(5) Accommodations are comfortable and reflect the history of the early days of the ranch.
(6) The location is so convenient - remote let so close to a highway that there are interesting places to go if there is a rainy day.
(7) The trails are varied with favorites like the ride to Lake Patagonia, trailering the horses to the spectacular scenery of the Valley, the all-day ride to the mine and, when conditions permit, loping thrugh Sonoita Creek. I do wish they would re-include a ride to the Wagon Wheel Saloon in Patagonia - what fun!

Before he retired, horses were my husband's career. Now that we no longer own any, he thoroughly enjoys his trips to the ranch - that says a lot about Circle Z!! Before we left this time we booked two more trips.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I and a group of friends just spent some time at the Circle Z Ranch in Patagonia at the beginning of October. It my first time at the ranch and I wasn't disappointed in their rave reviews. Many of the guests had been coming with their families for years although for some reason there were not children (perhaps they were all in school).

It's an easy 1 to 11/2 hour drive from the Tucson Airport. We arrived in the late afternoon and found our rooms ready and waiting for us. They're ranch style and the furniture is that style so if want modern and deluxe this is not the place for you. If you want a large comfortable bedroom with a great bed, the largest closet I've ever had in a hotel room, plus a spotlessly clean room then this is your place. The weather was great so we didn't need either the air-conditioning or the heat so I have no experience as to their efficiency.

Meals are included so if you have particular needs then you need to spell them out before you arrive. I found the food to be quite good and you could have multiple servings. You're served family style so you get a chance to meet your fellow guests. Plus, there is a Cantina where you can socialize before meals (light appetizers are provided). The ranch is strictly BYOB but they provide mixers and storage in the Cantina for your liquor, wine, and beer.

The main reasons why people come is the riding. You're asked to fill out a form indicating your experience, height and weight. The horses are very well trained, sure footed and in great shape. The scenery is spectacular and each day you ride out on a different trail. I do want to caution people that this is trail riding with lots of rocks, up and down hill trails, and the pace is generally slow except for some limited loping (if you're experienced) - if you're lucky you'll get so see some of the wild life and maybe even get to "herd" a cow or two of the trail. The rides seem to run about 2-21/2 hours and you can choose to ride in the morning and/or afternoon. The saddles are western and they can provide boots, hats, etc. for those who need them. I would advise those who don't ride a lot that they might want to bring their own "seat saver" which is a lambswool or gel pad whose use is pretty self-explanatory. The ranch does have some but they don't provide as much cushioning as a less used one. The main building has lemonade, water and cookies for the guests after their ride. The rides are always led by one of the staff who knows the various trails. Guests are not allowed to take horses out on their own but I wouldn't want to do so because it would be easy to get lost and you would probably miss some great scenery.

They also have a weekly nature walk which we found to be fascinating and a weekly "stars" walks which we missed. There is also a pool and a tennis court which we didn't use (too tired and too much else to do).

I really enjoyed my stay at the Circle Z. I found the managers and staff to be very friendly, helpful and great at solving any problem which was presented to them. I was sad to be going home "so soon" but I always found that to be the sign of a great trip/visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and 3 sons (aged 15, 13 and 8) have never ridden before, so for all of them to choose to ride morning and afternoon every day we were there and then to complain that we were leaving before the campfire picnic, tells you a great deal about Circle Z. Set in 7000 acres of ranchland in Patagonia, we experienced the extraordinary diversity of this country on horseback in a way I did not believe possible. Above all, George (who manages to horses) and Kelly (our patient wrangler) who had complete beginners trotting (to much hilarity) and then loping after only a couple of hours of riding, all ensured that horse riding was a fun activity - one they all want to do again. We also loved the pool, the table tennis table, the tennis court and the gardens filled with birds. We loved the Cantina where families gathered each evening to share stories from that day's riding. The atmosphere is one of easy, tranquil, warm hospitality where getting to know other families is a joy. Food was delicious, varied and local and the social nature of the dining room a treat in this day and age. We all made friends and met such interesting people and wished we were staying for the whole week. We will next time! The Nash family and Pam and Jock who run the ranch provide a special place in Arizona and we would all recommend it.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the dining room. We stayed in a 3 bedroomed cottage which was close to road...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The people, the land, the horses, the lodging, the food - the whole enchilada. This isn't my first ranch experience, I loved both other places I've been. But Circle Z just has a magic about it that sets it apart from anywhere else. The landscape is so diverse - mountain, desert, canyons, grasslands, running streams - all yours from the back of your horse. The herd is nearly 100 strong, mostly sired on the ranch. The foreman, George, has been the foreman for more than 30 years - when he puts you on a mount, it'll be the right one. It's not a job for him; it's a life. The managers Jock and Pam didn't start as managers - Jock was a guest at the ranch for more than a decade. Their love for the place is palpable in every detail. All the little things done so right. The food that is exceptional, the pool that's sparkling clean, the grounds that are kept so beautifully, the graciousness that pervades every interaction with their guests. I didn't talk about the birds, because I'm not a birder. If I was, probably that's all I would talk about, because the ranch and all its water are on some kind of flyway where every sort of migratory bird seems to have decided to spend time at Circle Z. It's crazy wonderful. If you are a great rider, they've got your horse. If you are new, they've got your horse. Our wrangler, Kelly, took our 10 year-old daughter and raised her confidence and expertise by a factor of 5. She started a bit nervous and finished loping up and down mountains, through streams, and across fields like the cowgirl she wants to be. Will we be back? You can bet on it. Which sets up a last note that maybe says it all: Of the guests at the ranch when we were there, our family was the only one who was new. Everyone else was back for their third, fourth, fifth time. That should say more about the place than anything else. Circle Z, gracias por todo. Volveremos!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2013

From the meticulous care of "Z" Ranch Managers Pamela and Jock Soper to the terrific riding provided by George, Jenny, Kelly and everyone in the barns at the Ranch, the Circle Z is the best, the best, the best ranch/riding/family experience around. And I haven't even touched on the food (always delicious); the lovely rooms (all vintage, but in prime, mint, fresh condition); the great company (folks you wish you could see and visit with all the time); and the thoughtful extras (a fascinating early-morning Nature Walk, a warm, welcoming pool, and a tennis court). The Circle Z has a loyal clientele spanning generations of families and generations of the Nash family, who have owned the Ranch since the 1950s. There's are a million and one reasons for that long-standing, deep loyalty but above all is the personal care and attention that guests receive from the moment they check in to the gracious goodbyes at checkout. Suffice to say that my teenage daughter and I, who spent a week at the Circle Z, can't wait to go back. It is a great value, too, especially when you consider that most ranches in the west charge extra for daily riding and other activities that are all-included at The Circle Z. God Bless the Nash family and their superb staff for keeping the "Z" what it is today: a classic gem for families who want to have a fun ranch experience that includes spectacular trail riding on varied terrain (including loping in the Sonoita Creek!); lively, interesting guests; and of course, the pleasures of enjoying time spent together in the low desert of southeastern Arizona. Go, go, go!

Room Tip: We loved our room in the adobe cottage bedecked with rose-covered trellises near the main house.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Circle Z Ranch? Share your experiences!