“Great conference choice”

JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed January 21, 2011

RECOMMENDED: This is an older well maintained and updated property and what you would expect from a flagship Marriott property. It's a often used for large company gatherings, hence this may not be an ideal choice if you're looking for a hideaway vacation. The rambling property provides a smallish feel to an otherwise large facility.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,086)

Reviewed January 18, 2011

I was really upset when I checked in an was told they didn't have any king beds even though that is what I had reserved. The manager agreed to upgrade me to a suite but only if I agreed to pay another $150/night. After arguing for a while she told me she would give me a room that had it's own yard and pool so I accepted. She had given me the Manor House which is huge and complete with an outdoor fireplace, a private pool, fruit trees, a large living room, two bedrooms, a kitchen, three large flat screen tvs, and two full baths. It was a lot more than I expected and I am really picky. I thought the staff was very accommodating and unlike another reviewer I was frequently asked by the staff if I wanted a ride in a golf cart. They will also come and get you and take you around in a cart if you call and request it. The gym was well equipped, the spa was very nice and I had one of the best massages I have ever had. The food at the spa pool was fresh and healthy, they even have fondue. The food at the other restaurants was very good and fresh even though the service was not consistent. My favorite restaurant for dinner was BLT Steak, I loved the popovers. I did not visit the Jackrabbit Pool but I did spend two relaxing days at the spa pool where the attendants were right at hand to bring food or beverages upon request.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My visit to the J.W. Marriott Camelback Inn was a fairly nice experience although some aspects left me a touch less than satisfied.

This trip to Scottsdale revolved around a meeting, so reservations were made with the “special rate” offered. I have always found these “special rates” to be somewhat of a two edged sword. It seems that oftentimes, “special rate” guests are typically provided with the least appealing rooms. So, when I called to make my reservation, I made a “special” point of asking for a room with a nice view. In addition, my Marriott Rewards profile includes the consistent preference of a high floor. Well, upon arrival, check-in went smoothly. Even though I arrived around 2 pm, my room was ready. When I spoke with the front desk representative during the check-in formalities, I, again, asked in a very nice way to make sure I was placed in a nice room. I ended up in a standard first floor casita with presumably as mediocre a view as possible at the Camelback Inn. So, I guess I did not have much luck getting a second floor casita or one that overlooked the mountains to any appreciable degree. Since I was at the meeting with some colleagues, I did note that their casitas did have nicer views than mine. Oh, by the way, my casita was one of the closest to the maintenance area for the hotel. Not the most appealing location by most standards.

The room itself was fairly nicely sized and appointed. The bathroom, especially the shower/tub, was a bit on the small size although there are the constraints of updating any hotel that was built 75 years ago. The remainder of the room had a nice king size bed, a large flat screen television, an honor bar refrigerator, a second refrigerator for your own items, a wet bar, a microwave, a coffee maker, in room safe, an ipod compatible clock radio, as well as an outdoor patio with a small table and two small chairs. The bed itself was fairly nice with firm support. The comforter was perhaps a bit too warm at night. Despite having the air conditioner operating in the cool evening, I still ended up waking up several times at night too hot. Certainly not the hotel’s fault, although a standard blanket would have sufficed. The toiletries were of a reasonable quality and well-replenished every morning during the maid service.

The grounds of the Camelback Inn are wonderful. Much time has been spent landscaping and maintaining the southwestern charm of the hotel. The Jackrabbit pool is entirely reasonable with a large main pool including a place to do laps as well as two whirlpools and a kiddie splash area. Towels are readily available as are several locations of cold water. The pool attendants are particularly friendly and helpful. Of note, the pools are heated, so despite the air temperature being 72 degrees, they were still easily used. Directly connected to the pool area is the exercise room. It is open 24 hours a day and accessed with your room key. Considering the level of the J.W. Marriott brand, the exercise room is nearly a complete disappointment. It is only marginally larger than something you would find at a Holiday Inn Express. Although the room is not large, at least the equipment is of fairly high quality with several including televisions. Complimentary headphones are provided in case you forgot yours. No specific water bottles for your workout are provided which, again, is a bit disappointing. I believe there was a second exercise facility at the Spa, however, my understanding was that a $25 surcharge was assessed for those wanting to use that area.

The food at the hotel was quite good although fairly expensive. For example, the Sunday brunch will set you back $59 for adults and $20 for children. I am not sure, but almost $200 for a family of four to eat Sunday brunch just seems a little high for me. Multiple restaurant options are available on site and within a short drive from the hotel. So, I suspect most guests will mix their dining experiences around a bit.

Overall, the J.W. Marriott Camelback Inn was an enjoyable location for the time I was there. Yes, a few things keep it from the highest rating. Nevertheless, I certainly can see myself returning to the Camelback Inn at some point in the future.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank dukektown
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Our stay at the Camelback Inn was wonderful. The staff is outstanding, and they go above and beyond to make sure your stay is satisfactory. Our room(s) were very spacious and well appointed. The small kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator worked out very well for the days we opted to not have a full breakfast. The breakfast buffet is absolutely top notch with very high quality items. Rita's Kitchen has a nice menu with a good variety of choices.
We did not eat at the steakhouse, but did have one of their famous popovers at a class we attended to learn how to make them. Rita's Kitchen is famous for their guacamole, and it is really great. We also attended a class to learn how to make the guacamole. I had two spa treatments which were both excellent. The spa has a very good workout room and the spa facilities are excellent. Overall, the entire stay was something we hope to experience again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2011

The hotel was reciently renovated but the room we were in gave no indication and it was very 80's feeling. The beds and flat screen TV were great, but the decor was dated. Nonetheless, we had a very nice time and the grounds are beautiful!!!
I was hesitant to visit the spa because I wanted a really good massage and not a "fluffy, hello, are you there?" treatment. I have to say that I had one of the very best deep tissue massages. I couldn't stop talking about how well the therapist was trained afterwards. The spa facilities are so much fun to relax in before and after your treatments. Take advantage of the wirlpool and hot/steam rooms before your treatments to help loosen your muscles up. Make it a day, that is what we did and it was worth every penny!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1kitkat1
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We traveled to the Camelback Inn during the off-season with a special promotion from Costco. Check-in was quick and easy, finding the room the same as the grounds are expansive and gorgeous. The recent renovation is noticeable and everything very clean. Pool attendants were courteous and respectful of needs without 'hovering'.

The food quality was disappointing at both the bar and coffee-shop. We ate on-site a few times and nothing really was memorable. Drink service and selection were good and the waitstaff again very courteous and respectful. Explore Scottsdale as there are many other options available.

Overall, we were very pleased with our experience and would return to the Camelback Inn for a short 'getaway' trip.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElectronEYE
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my family for just one night. It is a VERY big property, but it is well signaled. The room was large and comfortable. The beds were very comfy, a classic of a marriott. We didn't went to any restaurant at the hotel, but they seemed good. The gardens are very well kept, making the hotel nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!