“Simply the best!!”

JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed June 16, 2007

The Camelback Inn is simply the best overall resort we have ever stayed at. The rooms were spacious, with a unique decor. We had a nice terrace overlooking a tranquil desert setting. Every evening while we were out someone would turn down our sheets and leave some mints. The bathroom was small, but there was a second sink and mirror outside the bathroom. After all, how big does a bathroom need to be? The pool was very nice with mountain views on 2 sides. It was open 24 hours so a person on eastern time could still go at 5am. The water was a perfect temperature. Every where you wandered on the grounds the staff was very friendly and helpful. When it came to obtain boarding passes for the flight home , the staff assisted with printing the passes. The grounds were manicured, and a joy just to wander and see where all the paths would lead. The sunrises and sunsets were a sight to behold. The resort was set back off the road so there was no interference from the surrounding roads. To top it off we had a great rate with the room under $100 per night. Even if the rate had been much higher the rooms, the grounds and the staff made our stay at the Camelback a memory to be treasured.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Randazzio
Write a ReviewReviews (2,086)

Reviewed June 11, 2007

I have just returned from a trip to Scottsdale 25th May - 6th June. Previously we have stayed in the Westin & Fairmont Princess but wished a change of scene. What a monumental mistake that was!! We stayed our first night in The Mondrian (receives unfairly poor ratings in my opinion) which had been fine for an evening but we thought not for an extented holiday. I had been invited to golf that day and left my girlfriend to check in to the Marriot. When I came back I was informed that she had been made to wait two hours in the very small lobby before she could check in to the room. She was merely told there was a guarantee of four o'clock. This was not met and she eventually got in at 4.10 pm with no comment. The room itself was fine, spacious and well appointed but the bathroom was surprisingly small.

The facilities were very poor in the rest of the hotel with only one very small pool which was overcrowded. This was maybe to be expected on Memorial Day weekend. The spa was very tranquil but charged $25 per person per day to use the facilities.

This vacation was for my 40th birthday and one night here was enough!!!! I did something I have never done before and decided on Sunday morning at 7.30 am to check out 10 days early. I telephoned my travel agent to ask oabout alternative hotels. Fortunately I requested the Fairmont and they had room. We then immediately packed our bags and checked out. No one at reception asked a single question as to why we were leaving 10 days early, which may show how much they care. The Fairmont was as superb as it had been previously and would recommend that to anyone for a stay in Scottsdale. The only good thing I can say about the Marriot Camelback is they only charged us for one night.

In fairness they did seem to have many activities for children which would be a blessing if you are there for a family break but that's all.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Schwab
Reviewed June 3, 2007

It is a nice hotel, but we were disappointed because it was not to the level of a JW Marriott. The rooms and bathrooms were small. Housekeeping neglected to pay attention to detail when cleaning the room prior to our arrival. The toilet was dirty and the light over the shower was out. We had to ask for the toilet to be cleaned before
we could use it. We had to call the front desk at least five times to
have the shower light replaced. The Concierge was not useful to us when we were planning to go out to eat dinner. We wanted information on vegetarian restaurants in the area and she was clueless. I assume that vegetarian requests are not that out of the ordinary? The best part of the stay was the spa where I received a massage. Otherwise, the hotel is above average and not excellent. It is definitely not worth paying the full price for a room. You should only go if you can
get the room at a discounted rate.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vienna-Mom
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We stayed at the Camelback Inn (JW Marriott Resort) from May 18 - 22nd and had a great time. We were initially concerned about the construction but the hotel created an effective buffer zone and as a result we weren't disturbed at all. We found the resort to be charming in it's adobe styled decor. The rooms were clean (the bed was heavenly!) and had a nice patio area which was especially lovely to sit at and enjoy the diminished heat in the morning and evenings. We were located fairly close to the pool which wasn't busy (could be the result of the time of year and the fact of the convention centre and a portion of the resort being closed for the renovations.) All in all we had a very enjoyable stay and liked the quiet intimacy of the resort as well as the attentiveness of the resort staff.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank VancouverScamp
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Stayed overnight May 26th with my 61-yr-old mom and my 11-yr-old son and 8-yr-old daughter. Got the room for $129 (all fees included) per night through AAA travel. Check-in was virtually pain-free - we were about 30 minutes before regular check-in time so we had to wait for the room to be readied. We got in before the "deadline." What other guests have said about the grounds and the views are both correct - this is a BEAUTIFUL place visually. Every kind of cactus and desert flower imaginable is present in the landscaping, and fresh flowers were all over the place. The views of Camelback Mountain and Mummy Mountain were fabulous.

The thing we liked best about the room was the beds. The comforters were huge, thick and soft, and the matching pillows were very fluffy and comfy. Got an absolutely fabulous night of sleep. One thing that annoyed us about the room was the array of snacks in the room and the ridiculous prices charged for them. $12 for a 4 oz cashew jar? $3.59 for one of those tiny Pringles packages? I know this is a high-end resort and they have to make their money everywhere they can, but this setup just seemed so "guest unfriendly" that I wanted to comment on it.

The Jackrabbit Pool and Happy Jack's restaurant were very nice and some menu items were not TOO overly pricey. The salsa and chips come with guacamole and are just $7.46 for a really huge tray. On the flip side of menu pricing, the "American Breakfast" which was just a standard breakfast you could get at Denny's for $5.99 was a whopping $19.00. I guess that's OK for the guests who pay $300 a night for the room, but for regular folks like us, that's just kind of outrageous.

The pool was right next to the restaurant, so you could smell the food all the time. One odd thing was that to get to the pool restroom, one must walk through the patio tables at the restaurant. Could be unsettling for diners to see a shirtless, chubby, dripping-wet middle-age guy marching by on his way to the bathroom. A similar oddity was that the huge jacuzzi was within 5 feet of some of the tables.

Overall, I rate this resort a "very nice" but far from a perfect experience.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank larrysing
Reviewed May 22, 2007

stayed May 19-22. Went for a relaxing spa get away with friends. This resort did the job and we all left very relaxed pampered and happy with our stay and service. We all flew in from different areas of the country and each of us thought this was a good choice for a girls spa getaway despite our worries that the construction may affect our stay.

I was amazed at how quiet and tranquil the surroundings were. We did not hear any construction noise during our stay. I don't beleive they were working on construction during the weekend. On monday and tuesday I did hear some distant construction noise however believe it was comming from private home construction in the hillside above the inn. From what I understand approx 50 percent of the rooms are not open to avoid any audible noise to guests. During the weekend the remaining rooms were at 90 percent occupancy.

There are two pools open. The main jackrabbit pool is located to the side of the temporary lobby. Over the weekend it was not overly crowded but did have many families. The service poolside was excellent and the food from the jackrabbit resturant was good and relatively inexpensive. On monday, after the weekend guests left, this pool area was near empty.

The other pool is at the spa. The hotel is offering guests over 16 years-old access to the spa fitness room however this does not include any use of the pool or other spa areas such as the locker rooms, sauna... Spa services were good and I found staff to be polite, helpful and unobtrusive. Sprouts is a healthier dining option. The food was excellent and service overall good. Sprouts is located at the spa pool offering indoor or poolside dining. They only serve food until 3pm. After 3pm one can order room service brought to the spa pool area or eat at the jackrabbit. For guests ordering any $30 or higher spa treatment a day pass is included for unlimited day use of spa pool and the spa facilities. If not booking a spa treatment the cost for guests is $25 per person per day. The spa is very quiet and tranquill however was very crowded friday, saturday and sunday ie. no chairs avail by early afternoon. The spa and spa pool is open from 7 am till 7pm

For $225 we rented a four person cabana. This comes with four spa passes and a very private area with covered and uncovered areas. We splurged for this on sunday as it was our only option to have some shade, sun if wanted and lounges that we did not lose if left unattended during spa treatments. There is a wine fridge with bottled water, frest fruit and iced wash rags inside the cabana. The cabana has a ceiling fan in it (did not do too much good at cooling in the 100 degree heat but at least offered some shade) and very comfortable chairs/lounges. Service was a little spotty. Good and nice servers but in my opinion the spa servers were understaffed and overworked. There were also no misters on room decks, pool areas and sunning areas. With temps over 100 I would think this would be a necessity. There were misters in the outdoor covered eating area at jumpin jacks but none at the jackrabbit pool or any other area of the hotel. So really the only option to cool down was to be in the water or indoors.

The rooms: Bathrooms are outdated but are very clean despite their age. Fixtures in the bathrooms are newer but tile cabinets etc look to be early 80's. I could not get cold water to come out of the sinks nor could I get cold water to come out of the showers in the spa. Other than the age, the rooms are large, private, clean and quiet. furniture functional and decor pleasant. I understand the rooms will also undergo a makeover. Beds were very comfortable and sheets better than any hotel I've stayed at. We had a second story room which had two balconies, one of which had an enormous deck. The deck would have been perfect to sun on but with no misters was not tolerable to sit on for more than a couple of min from 8am till after sunset. I would strongly suggest bringing a large spray bottle and filling it with ice water to help cool down in the heat. My only complaint about the room was a few tour buses that were picking up guests monday morning. The engine noise awoke me and each bus seemed to run for about a half hour each until their guests and luggage was loaded. Our room was not too far from the temporary lobby and less than a min walk to the spa.

The temporary lobby is just fine and we had no issues with check in and out. The temporary gift shop is quite small but offers some items. I was a little supprised they did not carry gum. I always need gum to chew on the plane for my ears but they did not have any and since we were in a rush to catch our plane I had to do without. The resort wear for sale in the gift shop was also quite limited in choice. I usually like to purchase a sweatshirt but the only logo items for purchase were baseball caps, mens polo shirts, tank top or a tote.

I suppose for the price this room commands one should expect a little better ammenities or near perfect everything but if you can overlook minor little issues (with hotel and spa) this is a great place for adults to get away and relax. It is very charming and the location is beautiful. We were very happy with our choice to stay here. I would recommend a weekday stay to avoid weekend crowds however besides the pool areas the grounds seemed vacant and I rarely came upon anyone but employees when out walking the grounds during the weekdays and weekend. I thought it was a fine place to escape and relax for a girls quick and easy get away.

Phoenix was sooo easy. I don't like driving, renting a car or any hassel on vacation - usually leave this to my husband but this airport has got to be the easiest place to get into and out of including car rental. The camelback inn took us about 20 min to find and this included not using the freeway. We just took 24th ave to lincoln. Turned right on lincoln and easily found the hotel on the left.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank kimspokane
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Let me start by saying that the people working here are Fantastic.
Now, about the hotel itself....It is in need of a major update.
The rooms are nice and large - But since this is a "JW Marriott" and they are charging people top dollar to stay here - I need to be frank - The bathrooms are pitiful and need to be updated. They are dark, old and just ugly. The carpet needs to be torn out and thrown out.... you could just see the deep set stains in the carpet. While we were at the pool the 2nd day I noticed that my daughters feet were black on the bottom as mine were too. So yes, I did the white towel test and it wasn't good. After that I never walked around the room barefooted.
On the good side -the Spa was wonderful. We only ate breakfast (buffett) at the hotel and that was also very good.

• Stayed: April 2007
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!