“Needs to be Update!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
NewJersey
“Needs to be Update!”
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Let me start by saying that the people working here are Fantastic.
Now, about the hotel itself....It is in need of a major update.
The rooms are nice and large - But since this is a "JW Marriott" and they are charging people top dollar to stay here - I need to be frank - The bathrooms are pitiful and need to be updated. They are dark, old and just ugly. The carpet needs to be torn out and thrown out.... you could just see the deep set stains in the carpet. While we were at the pool the 2nd day I noticed that my daughters feet were black on the bottom as mine were too. So yes, I did the white towel test and it wasn't good. After that I never walked around the room barefooted.
On the good side -the Spa was wonderful. We only ate breakfast (buffett) at the hotel and that was also very good.

• Stayed April 2007
7 Thank Igo57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Detroit, MI
Reviewed April 25, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the JW Marriott Camelback Resort. Let me start by saying that I have high expectations when we travel as I don't get to do it often w/o my two small children!

The grounds are absolutely immaculate and the landscaping is impressive compared to the Four seasons resort and Copperwynd resorts we visited for dinner. ALL the staff there was very courteous, friendly and helpful. The only place I didn't feel this way was at the spa. The front desk help was not very friendly and brushed me off quickly even though I had booked over $500 in spa services that day. That said....this was the ONLY bad experience I had..and that was livable.

The rooms are HUGE! ( We were in the "cheapest" casita.) I would recommend the second floor as it is much more private and the balcony is HUGE too! More than enough room and the views were stunning. The only negative was that the room seemed somewhat outdated (carpet and bedding seemed fairly new though). However , I quickly overlooked this as the room was VERY CLEAN! (I get grossed out pretty easiy...so I was very pleased!) Bathroom looked outdated but functionally was nice and very large (two sinks, separate tub and separate shower, separate toilet room.) The bed was OUTSTANDING and by far the most comfortable we have ever slept on in a resort!

I would highly recommend the Chapparel restaurant...we both loved the food the best of all the 5 star restaurants we ate at. Unfortunately, they will be closing down soon! Breakfast was included in our package....Approx. $50 for two people if you pay separately. GREAT VALUE and DELICIOUS if you get included! Buffet or Ala carte menu available.

Resort was very quiet and serene....didn't see many children or noisy crowds. Seemed to be an older crowd in general (we are in our thirties) We would definitely recommend!

• Liked — The STAFF was wonderful!
  • Disliked — Rooms need some updating.
5 Thank drew&jakesmommy
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 20, 2007

Loved the Camelback Inn--we stayed for 2 nights and had a huge beautiful room with an extremely comfortable bed. Decor is Southwest, naturally, and nicely done. Bath amenities were great--loved the scent. Great place to kick back and relax. The grounds are gorgeous--so many flowers. We really enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting we attended--there was so much cheese and fruit and bread served we felt we had had a meal. I liked the outdoor yoga class and we both liked the pool except it was a bit too crowded with their floats all over the place. Even though there was a roped off lap area, it too was full of people on floats so swimming was a bit of a challenge. Food at the restaurants was good and plentiful. All our servers were terrific. In fact service was the number one thing I noticed. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel special. Employees never failed to ask how we were enjoying our stay and greeted us whenever encountered from housekeepers to maintenance to front desk to wait staff. Easy to see how they earned a 5 diamond rating. They understand how to treat guests. Only thing I did not like was the lack of free wireless internet service in our room. For a hotel of this caliber with the prices they command, this is not right. We stayed other less prestigious places where it was complimentary and I was surprised there was a charge. There is free access to the computer in the lobby, but obviously you can't do your work there. Everything else was just wonderful.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — charge for wireless internet access
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Pesca7
San Francisco
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Before booking, I read about the upcoming rehab on their website, and contacted the director of marketing. The wife and I were looking for a luxury long weekend getaway. Could the hotel be tired, maybe the service a bit off? Not a bit of it, i was told: much of the work would be on the reception center and in expanding the ballroom. This should have been my tipoff - who needs a bigger ballroom? We booked a casita for three nights at $521 per.

The reception was fine, and yes the building was somewhat funky and old, but authentic and charming, kind of like a less impressive Ahwanee. When we left for our room we could see across the courtyard a crowded patio restaurant across the way. Let's dump the bags and grab something to eat!

The room was quite spacious and may have been charming at one time but was now quite worn. Great parking lot views. no worries, we'll feel better after we eat. the restaurant that had been bustling fifteen minutes earlier was now completely empty. large hand-lettered signs told us that the corporate group had left for their events. And sure enough, we could see the belching tour buses carrying them off to their shopping junkets and jeep tours. We did have a mediocre lunch served on plastic by inept staff near a fountain. We looked at each other - we're out of here.

The hotel was gracious enough to let us leave without charge, and we checked in to the Mondrian for half the price. If your company is paying the bill the Camelback is probably fine, but if you're paying the rack rate it is a major ripoff.

On the flip side, we spent yesterday (Sunday) at the Camelback Spa. If you book even one treatment you have access to all spa amenities all day. This is one of the great bargains anywhere. We worked out in the gym, got massages, steamed, chilled by the pool; generally spent the day in luxury for little more than the cost of a massage anywhere else. Many of the people there were locals enjoying this great deal.

• Liked — They let us out of our reservation
  • Disliked — price/ catering to big corporate groups
9 Thank jaxnjaxn
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed April 10, 2007

I went to the Spa at Camelback for a wedding manicure & pedicure. I've stayed at this resort and know that it's a beautiful hotel so I expected the same from the spa. As the bride, I was excited for the extra pampering and was greatly disappointed by not only by the service but the overall quality of their work. The woman doing my nails not only did a horrible job, she rushed me through the process so that she could move onto the next person. I paid $100 for my mani/pedi & had to get it re-done at my neighborhood nail salon the day before the wedding. I would recommend staying at the Camelback Inn, but pass on the spa.

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank az_wahine
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 12, 2007

Like all the other reviews you'll be reading about the Camelback Inn, my review would certainly be subject to change once the renovations (scheduled to happen over 8 or 9 months, starting in May of 2007) get underway.

My wife went to a conference being held at the Camelback Inn over a couple days and I tagged along (staying an extra Saturday night to enjoy the facilities).

We were given what I figured must be a standard room. Thankfully nowhere near parking. Other TripAdvsior reviews have pointed out that some rooms face parking. If headlights of parking cars shining into your window bother you, check your property map. Our room had high ceilings being held up by pleasant wood beams and a rotating fan in the middle. The air conditioning was really good.

Some of the amenities were quite thoughtful: there's a microwave in the room (good for cooking takeout or leftovers), a separate fridge from the minibar fridge (you'll need a key to get into the minibar, b.t.w., so ask for it at the front desk). There were two sinks in our room. One inside the bathroom and one outside. There were also two room safes (an older one built into the wall, and a new one sitting on top of the mini bar fridge).

My only complaint about the bathroom itself was that while it was almost impossible to hear anything outside the bathroom while inside, the reverse was true for being outside the bathroom, you could hear everything going on inside the bathroom. Hooray for intimacy!

The Internet is accessible through an Ethernet port on the connector box on the table in your room. Internet access is priced very reasonably, $10 for 24 hours of access. This fee also includes all long distance and local calls. The room was NOT conducive to doing any work, as the room chairs are meant for lounging and laying back and the round table isn't exactly a comfortable working space, like a desk. You're at a resort, so don't expect to get too much work done.

There are two fitness centers in the resort. One is open 24 hours (accessible using a room key) and the other is in the spa (which closes at 7:30 p.m.). I bought my wife some spa treatments and the spa manager was kind enough to give me one day pass for myself, so I got a chance to look around. She very much enjoyed her facial and massage, and she commented that her day at the spa would've perfect had the women's Jacuzzi been working that day. I was really thankful to get the spa pool all to myself on Sunday evening (no kids, who seem to pretty much rule things over at the "Jackrabbit" pool near the rooms), but I got grossed out pretty quickly when I noticed some drowned bugs and bird feathers around the surface. The mens Jacuzzi was nice and there was a steam room and sauna in the same area. The women's locker room apparently has the steam room, sauna and (non-working) Jacuzzi in different areas of the locker room and not in the same place.

The "guest" fitness center (not the spa) appeared to have about 1/3rd of the equipment that the spa facility had.

Overall, the property was really beautiful and well maintained, and I was quite impressed with the sheer number and diversity of birds flying around and making all sorts of noise during the daytime. We felt lucky to stay there for a conference rate (in the mid $300 range). The rooms are nice and comfortable but absolutely NOT worth more than this, though. Perhaps things will be different after the renovation is completed.

• Liked — beautiful property and grounds
  • Disliked — slightly dated
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MichaelInSF
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2007

Spent a week, 3/3-3/10 and was very happy. The staff is very customer focused and gets most of the details correct.

Property very nice...a little dated, but thought that was part of the charm in some areas.

Great spa.

Some rennovation work starting soon,not sure how this will impact things,but in general would recommend strongly. Good location conveneient to downtown Scotsdale.

Stayed March 2007
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!