“Totally enjoyed our stay at the Camelback Inn”

JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Philadelphia, PA
“Totally enjoyed our stay at the Camelback Inn”
Reviewed November 7, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for the first time and we had no complaints. Our room near the spa was clean, large and had a wonderful bed (marriott does a great job on their beds).
We loved the pool, very relaxing. The staff came by often to ask if we needed anything and the food here is very good. Also the view with mummy mountain on one side and camelback mountain on the other is beautiful. We didn't have a chance to try the spa but we definitely will next time.
All in all, a great stay at a wonderful resort.

9 Thank East-of-Eden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 30, 2005

My family and I stayed at he JW Marriott - Camelback Inn last week after our stay at the JW Cancun was cancelled due to hurricane Wilma - it was fantastic. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite and it was an amazing room. Two large bathrooms, living room with a pullout and seperate master bedroom. The layout of the resort allows for a relaxing environment that is perfectly maintained. We will definately stay again. A great place to bring you childern and definatley visit the Spa.

8 Thank Scott M
New York
Reviewed October 26, 2005

I must chime in to say what a wonderful experience the Camelback Inn is. My husband and I just returned from 5 nights there (Oct 19-23) and we were so impressed. We are VERY picky and stay at a lot of fancy resorts, and this was definitely one of the best. Service couldn't be beat on all counts, food was delicious. Even though the resort was booked, there was always plenty of room at the Jackrabbit pool and no towel shortage!

My biggest compliment--we were taking the red eye back to New York and they let us have a 6PM checkout, even though it was a Sunday night and there were lots of people checking in. The one criticism I would agree with is that the concierge staff is not too friendly, and also, I feel, not too informed. Unless you want to go to a well known tourist location, they are useless. But that is very minor. Camelback is so low key but luxurious at the same time. You really feel like you are in Arizona--not like just another Hyatt plopped down in whatever city.

8 Thank LillieRose
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 24, 2005

This is the first time I've reviewed a hotel on a website and I'm doing it mostly because there seem to be so many mixed messages floating around. To put my opinion in context for those reviewing, I stayed at Camelback October 20-23 with four college friends all in our mid 30's. None of us had been to a resort in Scottsdale before, all of us were very concerned about cleanliness and most of us were interested in the spa treatments. I personally have worked in the hotel industry (at a Park Hyatt which for those of you who don't know is the high end of the Hyatt chain) in guest services roles.

Our whole party thought Camelback was a lovely resort and spa. We arrived on Thursday night and had wonderful front desk and bellman service. With the exception of the concierge staff that seemed a bit snobbish, all employees we encountered over the weekend were extremly pleasant and helpful. We had to call guest services on three occasions for extra blankets/pillows/towels and the bellmen who arrived with our requests were always smiling and friendly.

The room was a decent size (although it was a tight fit for five women). As other reviewers mentioned the room is a bit on the rustic side as far as decor goes but the room was clean and bathroom was a decent size and completely modern. This is no fancy marble bath but that wouldn't make sense with this resort and their atmosphere. There was plenty of storage space in the bathroom and in the second sink area for all the makeup and bathing supplies for all five of us. Towels were nice and fairly thick. The beds are only doubles so it was a snug fit with fluffy comforters and plenty of pillows. The only downside here is the pull out sofa bed (twin size) was not a very comfortable mattress.

Our only meals in the hotel were the breakfast buffet at Navajo which was $20/person and lunch at Sprouts, the spa restaurant. The buffet was wonderful, a full spread to please all types of eaters. Sprouts had a great selection of salads and sandwichs (healthy and non-healthy) that were tasty. We had drinks at the spa pool as well as at the Jack Rabbit pool...very good.

The spa was great! It was a treat to spend the whole day at the facility which includes sauna, steam room, whirlpool, outside pool, fitness room, salon, Sprouts restaurant, etc. Staff was truly friendly and pampered us whether we were doing one service or three. Fresh fruit and flavored water throughout the facility with plenty of staff around to answer questions and assist in any way.

Overall all five of us had a terrific experience. In comparison we did go to The Phoenician one evening for drinks and appetizers and while that resort was absolutely beautiful and elegant, it is much more sophisticated than the southwestern flair of Camelback. If you are looking to get the true feel of Scottsdale and it's beautiful landscape, there is nothing like waking up with a view of Mummy Mountain on one side of the property and Camelback Mountain on the other.

10 Thank Mary S
Reviewed October 23, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Camelback Inn. It was beyond anything we have experienced in a hotel before, and we are seasoned travelers. Every thing was excellent...facilities, check-in, bell staff, golf club, restaurants, cleanliness of rooms, turn down service, room service, every thing. If the staff had the opportunity to make your stay easier or more luxurious, they jumped on the opportunity. I would highly recommend this hotel for adults. You won't be disappointed.

6 Thank IslandGirl61
PA
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Just returned from a conference at the CamelbackInn and what a wonderful time we had. The staff really is 100% attentive and helpful. It was hot in Arizona and swimming at night was so much fun. The Jackrabbit pool is open 24 hours. We were able to just look at the stars and watch the planes come in. It was unbelievable. We were there with three children (3,5,7) and they had so much fun. It's not a snobby place where you can't take your children. Our children had a wonderful time. Room service for the kids is so reasonable. Huge portions of eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, fruit and juice for only $2.95.
If I'm ever in Arizona again, I'll be back for sure. It was perfect. I recommend this resort to anyone traveling through the area. I cannot say one bad thing, everything was perfect.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank lagunalvr
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2005

I don't want to get into a long-winded tyraid about how bad I think this property is but I honestly don't think the reviews I've read are accurate. First the good stuff. Attentive staff, great valet guys (they'll get you anything you need and I'd speak to them before the concierge) and comfy, large9ish) rooms with great patio views. HOWEVER, the resort feels like a very dated and very comedic National Lampoon room. The oversized tree beams in the rooms, the way too rustic feel of the art and the severely outdated bathrooms made me feel as if my money would have been better spent at one of the properties on Scottsdale Rd.. I don't want to knock the place for not being modern: I knew it wasn't a W. But come on, update some of the roms with something a little more modern than a Tom Mix/Spaghetti Western feel. You'll have a good night's sleep once you stop laughing at your grandmas bathroom and the beams in the room.

Stayed August 2005
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!