“First Trip to the JW Marriott at Camelback”

JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Friday was a sad day. I woke up at home this morning, after flying back East last night. Had a great 5 days in Scottsdale at the Camelback Inn. As a loyal Marriott client, this resort did not disappoint. For the 2nd year in a row, my company held a conference in this area, but this was a first at this property. Every meal was excellent, and there was a wide variety of options. Also, the pool and grounds was great as well, and had a beautiful view of Camelback Mountain which was a nice change from my more frequent trips to beach resorts. Only a several minute ride to the base of Camelback mountain for hiking (beware the bees), and downtown Scottsdale which has some nice restaurants. Our leadership team really enjoyed the rooms for our meetings during the day as well. What can I say about the service except that there is a exception team, that is always helping the guests enjoy their experience. Nice gym also. Would love to come visit again with my family.

Room Tip: Room near the back of the resort near the pool. 2nd floor if available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I had the possibilty to stay in this hotel just one night. It was really beautifull we stay very well the room are clean and nice. The swimming pool is perfect everything also is kid friendly. Very beautifull hotel and the service was very good

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the JW Marriott and to be honest I was a little skeptical about my choice. We don't usually stay at Marriott's, and I was afraid the 4.5 to 5 star experience I was looking for wouldn't be there. I was wrong. From the minute I saw the beautiful grounds, flowers, and fountains, I knew this was a special place. The outdoor spaces and the staff really "make the place". The rooms are average and very comfortable. We, however, hit the jack pot because on our second day I asked if they had a King bed instead of the 2 doubles we were given, and we were upgraded to a HUGE 2 bedroom "villa" with our own private pool! Absolutely incredible accommodation. The staff as mentioned were top notch. Kyle (at the front desk), Jerry (on the cart), and all the staff in the restaurant and at the pool were amazing. Very friendly and would do anything to make your stay more pleasant. With all of the resorts in the area I would say definitely give this one a look if you enjoy excellent service and beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: If you need to rent a car, and you will probably will, there is a Hertz office right on the property...
1  Thank Nordic1
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I travelled to Scottsdale on business in mid-April and had the good fortune of staying at the Marriot Camelback Resort. The grounds are spectacular, cactus in bloom and flowers everywhere. The staff has been excellent, friendly and efficient. The room has the expected great Southwest decor, a great comfortable bed and a roomy bathroom with double sink and spacious walk-in shower. The food at each of the business breakfasts and lunches was terrific. While I did not eat at any of the restaurants, I did have room service for dinner 4 nights and breakfast one morning. Each was the best room service meal I have ever had. The vistas surrounding the hotel were amazing. All in all this is a facility I would return to at the earliest possible opportunity.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Came with hubby, who had a 4 day conference at the end of the week--arrived 3 days early for relaxation. This resort was everything promised. (We don't golf, so no golf opinions). Beautiful views of the mountain, lovely landscaping, clean and orderly, friendly and helpful staff. We had a spacious room with a comfy bed, two sinks--one outside of bathroom and we also had a nice little patio. We were in the middle of the resort near the pool. We loved the staff and food at the pool. The spa staff and restaurant there were great--had massages and mud wrap--very nice facility. The pool at the Spa is very nice also and you can use the facilities all day when you book a treatment.
Car parking is free, so get a rental car to explore Scottsdale--lovely shopping and restaurants.
LOVELY mass at the nearby Catholic Franciscan Center on Sunday--very friendly people there and many mass times to choose from.
We used the Concierge who was very helpful to book a trip to the Grand Canyon which turned out great--pricey, but great trip, flew to GC with WestWinds.
MEETING facilities were very good, again with helpful staff.
We loved that there are free washer and dryers available, too.
All in all a great stay in a beautiful place.
RESORT IS HUGE, plan on walking!
The gift shop staff was also nice, and they had some reasonably priced nice things.

Room Tip: Center of the resort near the pool is a great location
3  Thank Ursula S
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is my 3rd time staying at this report and I am a Marriott Gold member, so am used to the quality of the Marriott brand. First, I found the staff at this hotel to be super helpful. We checked in fairly early, and the room selection was limited. We were given a room at the back of the property, which was quiet, but definitely needed to be updated. The fridge looked like it was from the 70s and the bathroom was tiny. Also, the maid service tended to arrive between 2-3pm each day, which was a little late for comfort. That, and the restaurants being very busy for dinner are the only reasons this did not receive 5 stars. At the price, I just feel there are some better options in the Phoenix area. Otherwise, the pool area, the upkeep of the amenities, the tennis courts, the food quality etc was excellent. I would stay there again, if there were not better options available (e.g. I prefer their desert ridge property, which has comparable pricing, but I feel is a better resort).

Room Tip: 53X are at the back of the property. slower maid service.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Resort_Leadership, Manager at JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for your honest review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. With our bathroom and minor room renovations, beginning next month and ending in October, we hope you will be able to come back and give us a 5-star review next time!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were looking for a warm spot without the Spring Break crowd. This resort was perfect. Warm weather, beautiful grounds. Problems at check-in as we booked a package through United Airlines that included several amenities but the hotel was unaware of them. Despite having provided the Front Desk Clerk with a copy at check-in, we were charged for things we shouldn't have been. Attempts to rectify led to further problems. Problem seemed to be inefficient staff at desk. Air conditioning in room didn't work; contacted front desk; offered a course in operating the thermostat---insulting; after 3 nights of a very warm room, thermostat was replaced.
Pool was great; pool staff superb!! They truly went out of their way to be personable, accommodating and efficient! Can't say enough about them.
Despite the issues above, we had a great time and will definitely give them a chance to redeem themselves by returning.

1  Thank Ecampb

Thank you for your review. We are sorry about your problems with your room package and the thermostat. We have passed along the comments to the corresponding departments. We have also passed along your great comments to our pool staff! Despite your issues, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you can come back and stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!