“Excellent choice for a family with small children”

JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed April 24, 2008

My wife and I and our two young boys, ages 8 & 6, stayed at the Camelback Inn April 3 - 9, 2008 and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I was leery about the property after reading the negative posts on TA about the construction that's ongoing. I can see where if you have a certain room it may be more inconvenient than some others, but overall the construction is barely noticeable the majority of time you're on the property. I recommend you change rooms if you don't like the one they assign.

The staff is especially gracious and courteous. The pool is great if you have kids (if you're looking for peace and quiet, try elsewhere). The food at Hoppin Jacks is not only extremely good but the portions are very large and the prices are great, especially the kids plates. For $2.95 each my boys got a plateful of eggs, potatos, bowl of fruit, toast, and juice, and it was always too much for them (and my boys can eat!). We had breakfast there every morning and we ate lunch poolside twice with similar experiences.

My wife and I worked out at the gym located in the Spa several times. It was a little cramped and old, could stand a renovation, but overall not bad. They have a great little pitch and putt course (complimentary) at the front of the property and my boys loved it -- we played it three times--- and the staff will gladly take you down there and back from the lobby in one of their golf carts.

You can't beat the location of the property, it's right in the middle of Scottsdale so it's very easy to get around quickly.

As for the rooms, we had a standard room that accomodated the four of us nicely (it would have been nice to have been upgraded to one of their suites, but I was using Marriott points for 3 of my 6 nights, so perhaps I didn't rate!). We had a great little patio and our room was exceptionally quiet the entire time we were there. We never heard any room noise. We even had a nice view of Camelback mountain.

Overall, an exellent property.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank msh305
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 19, 2008

We enjoyed our overnight stay at Camelback. Construction was not a problem for us. We had a room close to the pool area and restaurant. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Hopping Jacks was very good and had a great inexpensive kids menu. Pool area was very scenic and enjoyed by my kids. The gounds of the hotel were beautiful-full or cacti and other indigenous plants. Ask for a room that does not face the parking lot. We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and the mountain views. This is not an overly fussy, pretensious hotel. It is more casual and laid back.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank lscellNewJersey
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We stayed at the JW Marriott - Camelback Inn this past week (April 5-12) and we would go back in a second. The service was very good, namely at the poolside cafe. In comparison to other resorts in ultra-pricey Scottsdale, there is a strong effort NOT to nickel and dime the customer. The renovation was not even noticeable unless you looked for it, but it looks to me like it will take longer then currently projected July. Hoppin' Jacks was very nice and we ate their for each breakfast, lunch and dinner, at least once. Interestingly enough, breakfast was the most pricey. If you are looking for a more inexpensive breakfast, go north on Tatum Boulevard for a bit and you will see Soma, a delicious and healthy (not to mention cheap) breakfast place. Avoid the Good Egg, it was very unhealthy. The only problem with the entire stay was with housekeeping and overall room cleanliness (or lack thereof). We had to call the front desk on multiple occasions to ask for towels and shampoo that should have been refilled in our room by housekeeping. Also, the carpet was very dirty and it got all of our feet and socks black with dust/dirt (not a good thing for a five diamond hotel). However, the overall experience definitely made up for the minor housekeeping problems and I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking to stay in Phoenix/Scottsdale. We looked at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge which was just too big and remote with a lot of walking (like a cruise). We also looked at the Four Seasons and the Phoenician, which both looked deserted. The great thing about our hotel is that even though it is big, you can park almost right next to your room and everything you could want, (including a great health spa), is within the property. For instance, don't waste your time with finding a laundry mat; they have free washer/dryers, and free soap and detergent on site. Also, if you are looking for a hard, though rewarding hike, climb Camelback Mountain, its just about a mile from the hotel. Overall, great experience, great service and we would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank PacificTravelerLA
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Many parts of the resort are lovely--pool, grounds, restaurant, hospitality. Unfortunately, a steady leak in our bathroom ceiling and a noisy air conditioner forced us to have to move to a new room two days into our stay. The staff were extremely helpful and attentive, but the room problems were frustrating. Don't know if we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Julia45
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Fabulous! Spacious, comfortable, nicely appointed room with lovely patio. Linens were crisp and bright, iHome iPod dock, large bathroom with separate tub and shower, nice touch to have galley area with small refrigerator (separate from mini-bar fridge), full sized microwave, countertop with coffeemaker and coffee. Staff was amazing - I can't say enough about how attentive and accomodating everyone was. Spa is better than the Phoenician with a great pool, separate from the main pool which was a nice touch. Fitness center is complimentary to hotel guests. Every single thing about this place is 5-Star. The food at Hoppin' Jacks (only available restaurant during construction) was outstanding. Matter of fact, we cancelled all our other reservations and ate at the resort our entire stay because we were so pleased. Spa food was fantastic, as well. Most outstanding accomodations I've had in a long time! Never knew any construction was going on. Only negative would be that they charge a $13.95 daily internet use fee - who does that these days?! They do have a computer set up in the lobby with complimentary internet access, however.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank nevadanancy
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We stayed at the resort March 18-22. We stayed in a Casita suite that had not been updated yet. The room was okay. It was clean but, the bathroom was small. On the downside wireless internet is not available. There is a $12.95/day charge for wired internet service.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Customer service and the Spa drove my 4 star rating.

We ate at Sprouts, the restaurant at the Spa. It was very good but, very pricey - $55 for 2 people for breakfast. We did not eat at any other restaurants at the resort.

The Spa was very nice and the prices are comparable to other spas. I had an aromatherapy massage that was wonderful. There are separate spas for men and women. The spa has a steam sauna, dry sauna, and whirlpool. Showers, lockers, and a lounge are also available. If you book a spa treatment you get access to the spa all day.

We tried to go to the pool one afternoon but, the Jack Rabbit pool was packed with kids. We went to the spa pool and that was packed too. We decided to rent a pool cabana ($225/day). We were told it would take 10 minutes to set it up. We went to our room and came back 30 minutes later and the cabana was not set up. I told the host to cancel the cabana. She immediately apologized and said she would have it set up right away and would remove it from our bill. I thought that showed great customer service. I would have prefered the cabana be set up the first time but, I think it's great that employees have the authority to correct service issues and do so quickly.

We also enjoyed hiking Mummy Mountain. It was definitely fun and you get a good view of the Phoenix skyline.

I know prior reviews mentioned construction noise. We did not hear any noise from the construction.

Overall I think the Camelback Inn will be a great place to stay once the updates are complete. I think the rooms are outdated and need a refresh however, the staff is great , the spa is excellent, and the location is wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EasternAir
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Cannot wait for the remodel addition to be completed, it appears to be a huge undertaking and while most rooms are not impacted we did hear some construction noise during the day but nothing we could not handle, inside your room you barely hear any outside noise. We were placed by the tennis and basketball courts that was my only complaint but since it was spring break and most places are booked solid we made do with the room but there are rooms close to the spa and hiking trail or the pool. Right now they only have one pool open so it was crowded but the staff from the front desk to pool staff to housekeeping and grounds people hardly a day went by or a person that did not say hello. They appear to be genuinely happy at their jobs and will do anything to help. We often caught a ride back up the hill in the golf carts if you need them to pick you up and run you to the Spa or front desk or pool or back to your room you need only ask. Several times we took the free putters and balls provided and practiced on the putting green located at the entrance. Since I did not bring my laptop I did use the business center once it is $10 per day for internet access however in March they closed at 6:00 pm. If you are only printing your boarding pass that is complimentary. The washer and dryer's are free there are 4 of each and one was always available when we needed it, the soap and dryer sheets are provided. The pool service was attentive, I had one of the best margaritas I have ever had, the lounge chairs are very comfortable and cushioned. Nighty goings on at the firepit located next to check-in and on the day of arrival they were having an ice cream social by the pool with free ice cream. This place is a step back in time when people enjoyed just being on vacation with the great patios off your very own casita, the meandering grounds to walk through and great pool, golf and spa amenities, I don't know who is responsible for training and keeping the employees happy which in turns makes us the guest happy they are doing everything right and we will return again. Be sure to pick up a guide at the front desk it tells you what is going on for the week.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!