“Be careful!!”
Review of El Chorro

El Chorro
Reserve with OpenTable
El Chorro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 56th Street & Lincoln Drive
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This place is actually a complex of facilities and many dining rooms, inside and out. In order to maintain the beautiful place meals are outrageously expensive. We were taking someone out for dinner and as I looked over the menu I made the unfortunate choice of two appetizers for my meal -- a salad and an appetizer lobster tail. The caesar salad was small and incredibly unremarkable for $8, but MOST remarkable was the "medallions of lobster tail" for $48 !!! Of course there was no price on the menu as it was market pricing. I don't care what anybody says, no lobster tail is worth $48 at any time of year, anywhere in the world.
We will never go back.

1  Thank maxcalgary_10

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We dined with friends. We had made reservations on the patio. We were late due to a significant traffic delay. We called to say we would be late and the hostess was pleasant and appreciative of the call. When we arrived, the patio was packed but our table had been saved. We were immediately shown to our seats. From that point on the setting, food, and service were excellent.
It was such a pleasant experience that we are taking out of town friends there this weekend.

1  Thank sojouner2
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We chose El Chorro based on good reviews. It is a beautiful patio. Great location with the mountain looming in the background. Warm welcome from the staff. Downhill after that.

Although the patio was less than half full and I told the hostess that we had come especially to see the mountain, we were seated behind a bank of trees that completely blocked any view. We had to ask to be moved. Then our waiter recommended a signature drink. It tasted like straight Sprite. After sending it back, he admitted that he had never tasted the drink.

I had the enchilada and hubby had the pork tenderloin. Neither would rank high on the flavor scale. The sticky buns were good, but a little odd with dinner. We brought them home for breakfast.

Our waiter seemed to be uninspired. Everything came late. It was impossible to get his attention. The only time he seemed interested in us was when hubby was signing the check. he stopped by to blame the bartender for making my drink "wrong". Seemed too much like he was just trying to protect his tip. When we paid the bill, our credit card wasn't returned. Hubby had to track down the waiter to ask for it. The waiter had our card (and several others) in his shirt pocket. Handed it back without a shred of apology. Wonder what would have happened if we had been distracted and not noticed.

All in all....it was a beautiful setting, but I probably wouldn't return.....certainly not for the food or service.

2  Thank SimplyRedMN
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Came here on a recomendation from a colleage who visited a couple of years ago. Quite busy even on a mid week evening, though no wait for a table (may have been lucky).Good atmosphere and location, nice patio. Service was OK. Food was good but nothing special, priced on the the high side, I guess you are paying for the patio dining experience. I would return/recomend as I enjoyed my meal and had a great time, what more can you ask. Liked the sticky buns.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The views are beautiful and the restaurant is clean and pretty. We went for Mothers Day and I was very happy along with the rest of our group. Only one thing was not perfect. I wasn't impressed with any of our cocktails. They were way too strong and quite frankly, not very delish. I think a new cocktail menu might be in order. The rest of the experience was lovely though. The waiter, Ron, was great and attentive and took off my drink from the bill. We all had the steak or trout as an option and it was all delicious. This is a great place to go and sit outside when the weather is good.