“Great view and food, spotty service for lunch and dinner”

Elements at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
Reserve with OpenTable
Elements at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tatum
Description: Celebrate farm-fresh American cuisine at elements, one of the best restaurants in Paradise Valley. Sanctuary touts the evolution of a favorite Scottsdale restaurant that offers a distinctive experience for AZ luxury dining. Discover the cutting-edge kitchen of Food Network celebrity and Executive Chef Beau MacMillan, where the best local organic produce is used to create seasonal menus. With the expansion of elements restaurant, enjoy distinctive venues for luxurious Scottsdale dining, including the private chef's table, XII, where you will witness the kitchen activity firsthand...And Praying Monk, for indoor/outdoor events overlooking the beauty of Camelback Mountain. With spectacular scenery and unique settings, jade bar and edge are the perfect places to sip and savor fresh cocktails on inviting outdoor patios at sunset.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at the Sanctuary for 3 days and nights with a friend and we had every meal at Elements or Jade Bar during our stay.

The setting is spectacular - built against the mountain, you have a great view of the valley. The food was very good. I really appreciate that the restaurant accommodated my gluten-free and dairy-free dietary needs. My favorite meal was the Chilean Sea Bass and coconut creme brulee. Delish! The house green salad was super fresh.

I want to particularly thank Denise and Ingrid for great service during breakfast. For lunch and dinner, it seemed as though the restaurant was understaffed. It took a long time (20 minutes) for our requests to be met (i.e., for hot sauce or bread), and my friend asked for bread from 3 different people before she finally got up from the table and asked our waiter in front of the restaurant manager for bread.

I'm coming back to Scottsdale in April and I plan to take my husband there for dinner.

Andre N, Guest Relations Manager at Elements at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at elements and jade bar. We really appreciate your feedback, as it will help us give you the best possible service and overall dining experience possible. I’m glad we were able to accommodate your dietary needs. It sounds like you enjoyed your meals, and I agree wholeheartedly, the Chilean Sea Bass is delectable. We do however; sincerely apologize for any delays and issues with your lunch and dinner service. While unexpected issues may arise, it is unacceptable that you had to wait that long or ask the staff multiple times for your requests to be addressed. We will be looking into the situation and figuring out how we can prevent this from being a problem in the future. Thank you so much for the feedback, as it will help us make your next visit even more enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again in April and meeting your husband!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I was invited to have brunch here by a guest staying at the hotel. The food was amazing and was only topped by the incredible view. The incredibly serene setting made me want to return to both the restaurant and the hotel. We were lucky enough to get a peek at the rooms which also appeared to be quite special. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Thank you so much for coming in. We always say the award-winning food is only matched by the spectacular views the restaurant offers. We’re so glad you were able to enjoy both! We look forward to having you back in, whether it is just for elements or for a stay at the resort as well. We really appreciate you taking the time to review your recent experience with us.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Well, my first trip for a romantic dinner with my fiance for her birthday was pretty disappointing.

Beautiful place. Pretty cool bar. Nice view looking north from Camelback Mountain.

Very slow service. Very average (and barely warm) food. Very expensive.

All in all, I will go back to hit the bar with friends-but for the amount of money I spent on food and service I would plan on going to my local pub.

Thank you for choosing elements for your recent dinner with your fiancée. We sincerely apologize that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We take both the quality of our food and our service very seriously, so it was very disappointing to hear that your service was slow and food lukewarm. We know that dinner can be pricy and we want you to know we really do value you as a customer. We genuinely appreciate your feedback about your recent experience. It will help us improve our service and meet our objective of giving every customer an extraordinary experience every time. Hopefully you will give us another chance to impress. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The views and the restaurant are both beautiful! The food is amazing- especially the scallops, and the soups (I tried two different soups during my stay, both very tasty with nice presentation). My favorite dessert was the nutella pot-OMG. Amaze.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I wanted a special place to celebrate Valentine's weekend, and don't think you could find many better restaurants in the valley to do so.

When you combine all the right "elements" (sorry), and do them well, it becomes the type of place that you gravitate back to whenever a special occasion arises. The location on the north side of camelback mountain has fabulous views, the service is spot on, and the menu is uncomplicated by a nationally known chef that still takes his food seriously after many years at this restaurant.

We started with calamari, which was good but not one of the better versions I've had. The vinaigrette was very tasty, but I suspect the squid spent a bit too long in the fryer. The honey crisp apple, fennel & frisse salad was very good.
My wife had the butternut squash dumplings, which she enjoyed despite it being a bit overly sweet. I tried the nightly feature of braised beef short rib, but what followed was a faux pas that one wouldn't expect from a restaurant of this type. What was brought to the table was not short rib, but rather a frenched veal chop. When I mentioned to the assistant waiter that this was not what I ordered, he told me that they had run out of the featured short rib and this was the replacement and that my server should have informed me of the change when I ordered. Quickly our server was at the table apologizing for what she believed to be a simple mix up in the kitchen, but soon found out herself that the kitchen subbed the short rib.
Despite the poor communication of the staff, it was handled deftly by the manager who came by to joke that the kitchen just decides themselves what the guest will get. The levity of his apology was perfect and it made us laugh and all was good. He comped my entree and treated us to dessert, which was more than reasonable.

Overall, a very nice spot to enjoy a romantic evening. Maybe the kitchen had a slightly off night and otherwise this would have been a solid 5 star (circle) experience. I don't take them to task by running out of the nightly feature...that happens. Particularly, with a braised dish. But the communication failure was avoidable and the food didn't overwhelm as I expected, so I'd provide them with a 4.5 if I could.

Andre N, General Manager at Elements at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience you had at elements and for choosing to dine there on Valentines Day. We strive for excellent service with amazing cuisine and it seems you almost had that but still decided to give good critiques and comments. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for the miscommunication you had that night. I do hope you decide to dine at elements again.

Thanks,