“Sanctuary...a favorite of ours”

Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
A TripAdvisor Member
“Sanctuary...a favorite of ours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

Unlike the folks from San Francisco, who loved the Four Seasons at Troon and hated Sanctuary, we've stayed at both, and come back repeatedly to Sanctuary. We spent our 20th Anniversary at the Seasons at Troon, and it was fine, but frankly, it felt like just another nice hotel. The food there was anything but spectacular, the pool water was 90 degrees, but the casita was lovely as could be. Even the dead packrat on our patio couldn't spoil it.

We usually get a mountain suite at Sanctuary, and this summer will be our fourth stay in four years. We find it comfortable, not at all pretentious and pretty much ideal. Great location for shopping, visiting things. Terrific restaurant! The service couldn't be more attentive and courteous. Last summer, I slipped and fell at poolside, seriously banged up one leg and foot. They came to our suite with the proper bandages and dressings, saw to it that I was fixed up, then called our home afterward to follow up.

When I was working, I traveled extensively, and have stayed at MANY fine hotels. And, they have felt like, well, hotels. Sanctuary feels homey to me, and allows its guests to experience our fine desert life in Arizona.

Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

This is our perfect hotel.

My partner and I travel extensively, are very picky and always searching for the best. We visited the Sanctuary first in 2003 and now it is our "go to" place whenever we have the itch to get away.

We had previously stayed at the Phoenician (a wonderful & luxurious hotel also) but felt it was just too "vast" and the design generic. Grounds and pools were gorgeous, but you are lying among rows and rows of sunbathers and swimming alongside lots of kids.

The Sancutuary is a perfectly sized "boutique" hotel. It is pristine, quiet and exquisitely beautiful inside and out. The service is amazing. We have been here several times and have never NOT been offered a complimentary room upgrade. The staff are friendly and relaxed - but always attentive and at arms length if you need or want anything. We actually discovered them while we were staying at the Phoenician... we had visited Elements and after dinner one of the valets offered to give us a free lift back to the Phoenician. And we weren't even guests! Coming from a hotel where you could not get a complimentary cup of coffee (not even free refills while dining in the hotel restuarant!) this was a refreshing change.

When searching for accommodations in other cities, I find myself looking for another "Sanctuary" and am always disappointed.

The rooms, the food, the spa, the pool, the service, the design and THE VIEW - the best!

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank nycdefg
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2006

My wife and I just returned from four nights at The Sanctuary. Everything was first class. The service was great all around - front desk, housekeeping, room service, spa, fitness center, restaurant, bar, and pool food/beverage service. In fact the service at the pool was the best we ever experienced - very attentive.

The property is beautiful inside and out. The setting is great, and the architecture and decor is among the best I've seen. Our suite was large, beautifully decorated, and very clean. The restaurant/bar is beautiful, and the food is good - our food at elements (restaurant) wasn't great. Poolside food is very good - especially on weekends when they fire up the grill. Fitness center is nice, and the spa facilities and treatments are top notch.

Only complaint is that the pool is a bit small .

Overall, an amazing hotel with great service. We will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank FATW
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2006

We are the couple that had the anniversary trip messed up and were moved to the Valley Ho. I am very happy to report that Sanctuary has come through on the service side. We had booked through Expedia so Sanctuary reimbursed us themselves for our room. They have been very courteous and kind in getting everything resolved and expressed regret for messing things up.

Today they informed us that they will comp us a suite if/when we go back to try them again. So I am looking forward to giving them another shot. They have given 5 star customer service after the fact, so I can see why everyone raves about their stay there. Like I said our dinner and spa treatments were excellent so hoping the rooms and facilities will be too.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank krazygoat
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

Sanctuary in Paradise Valley looks inredible on the website, spectacular really. Arriving the Valet area and entrance look nice, but on the way to the room, a Mountain Suite, we got worried. The buildings look like a bad 1960's apartment complex, painted an awful beige color, disguised with nice signs on the doors, and lighting. As soon as we got in the room, we called the front desk and told them no way we were paing $700 for this. It was so cheaply done, with off brand TV's and products. Lots of screaming kids around the pool, were no Sanctuary to us. The Restuarant was excellent though, the Menu could have had more options. Heavy Beef emphasis was on the Menu. The male servers were all outstanding, and super accomodating. One female server was [--] and hositle, but once we switched servers, we had a wonderful meal. The Spa was very nice, and the treatments were very good. Most of the resort is an old Country Club, that is ugly and outdated, dressed up with tinsle. Many people who don't travel much, or don't enjoy the finer things in life regularly may be impressed with the window dressing, but deep down, Sanctuary is way overpriced, and overrated. It's not 4 Seasons quality. They say they are, but they are not, it's obvious it was done on the cheap, and decorated rather than renovated fully. Try the Four Seasons in Troon North, about 40 minutes away, or The Royal Palms. We switched to both, and both far surpassed Sanctuary. It is worth maybe $250/night. It's just cheesy, and cheaply done.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2006

My husband and I (both in our mid-thirties) just returned from a long weekend at the Sanctuary. We were celebrating our 2nd Anniverssary. We booked the Mountain Casita thru a package that was offered on their website. This included 3 night stay, 4 spa treatments, and breakfast each morning either in room or at Elements. Got a great deal thru the manager of the hotel. This happened after I had been quoted the wrong price from the reservations dept., after making the hotel manager aware of this error, he kindly honored the lower price. I was quite impressed with that gesture.

Sancutary is a modern, quiet, and peaceful retreat. Nice grounds and contemporary decor. Staff was wonderful, courteous and friendly.

Elements Restaurant was wonderful. I would most likely have dinner there again if I lived in the area.

The pool was quite small, unlike the gorgeous pool at the Phoenician. The service at the pool area was great, eventhough the wait staff was sufferring from the intense heat!

The spa treatments were wonderful. But the locker area needs some improvements. Not as luxurious as I had expected.

All in all we were having a great time until the cockroach incident. I hate even writing about it but I feel I should warn others. On the 2nd morning of our stay, I found a large half dead cockroach on the floor by the toilet. I freaked! I didn't know what to do. Didn't want to tell my husband for the fear of him saying that it doesn't pay to stay at expensive hotels. Thinking back, I should of made management aware, but I didn't want to go thru the hassle. To say the least, after that incident, I was so fearful of finding more specially while sleeping! So much for a relaxing experince.

Had this not happened I would most likely recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Z92109
De Haan, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2006

Nestled on the northern slope of Camelback mountain on the quiet McDowell road is a splendid hotel. It is just a few minutes away from downtown Scottsdale with its many art galleries and fashion square.
Service is good, all staff members tried to meet our wishes as much as possible. For example, the continental breakfast that we preferred consisted just of three kinds of bread (banana, carrot and one more kind of bread) and a cereal besides coffee or tea and juice. We asked to change it and the next morning we had a different, more tasteful breakfast.
We preferred breakfast on the terrace in front of the Elements restaurant, just above the pool instead of on the patio on the east side of the Elements because the smell of the chimney of the kitchen could spoil a great start of our day.
The infinity pool can be crowded on weekends. However, there is an escape, a lap pool at the spa and gym.
One recommendation: we enjoyed dinner at the L'ecole of the scottsdale culinary institute at the crossroad of East Camelback Road and Hayden Road. The student-chefs prepared a tempting dinner that we could savour and that kept all its taste.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank mundus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#16 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,124 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!