“Girls Retreat”

Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Our trip was for 4 women to have a girls getaway long weekend. We bought the Spa Harmony package which was a special the hotel was running back in January. We found the package to be a great deal. We all got 2 spa treatments each and breakfast daily. We stayed in a mountain casita suite and loved having the extra space, fridge, etc... The spa treatments were some of the best I've had, the spa doesn't feel crowded or herded at all, it is very relaxing. The hotel is top notch, staff is superior and so friendly, restaurant is outstanding and the new spacious lounge is the place to be for sunset. The beauty of the hotel grounds are amazing, I took several photos that are not captured on the hotel website that should be. I would highly recommend this hotel. Will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Some rooms can be quite a walk to and from pool, if you plan to be at the pool a lot, you may want t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Steven L, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent girls retreat. Glad to hear you took advantage of our Spa Harmony package. It is a great deal and the customization guarantees that you will get exactly what you want out of your visit. It’s always nice to hear how much our guests enjoy our spa services. Thank you so much for the kind words about the staff as well as elements and jade bar. We are really glad to hear that you ladies had a wonderful, memorable experience and hopefully we will see you again sometime soon. Thank you again for sharing your review of the resort.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay with great rooms, views and food! Highest recommendation! Stayed here for our first wedding anniversary and we couldn't have been happier. Staff and all accommodations were well worth the prices.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sancmanager, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you so much for choosing to spend your first wedding anniversary with us! We’re really glad to hear you had a wonderful stay. The resort is definitely a great place for a staycation getaway. It sounds like the staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your meal. Thank you for taking the time to review your visit and congratulations on your first anniversary. Hopefully we will see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visited Sanctuary last week/weekend with 5 of my college roommates. Overall, we had a fabulous time and it was the perfect spot for a trip of this nature! We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite with a common family room/patio/small kitchenette - - perfect to relax and hang out together post our spa treatments or lounging by the pool. The property is well maintained and the spa was very nice. The workout room is slightly small but it never seemed overly crowded so it wasnt a major issue. I would definitely recommend the hike/bike excursion - it was a really fun way to see the area and experience a fairly challenging hike with a guide. We had a few complaints throughout the week (the AC in one of our bedrooms didnt work well all week despite having the mechanic come look at it twice, one of the girls in our group had a bad experience with the quality of her massage, etc), but management was understanding and apologetic for these issues. Is it the quality of a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons? No. However, for the price we paid I would say Sanctuary was absolutely worth the money. I would probably give it 4 stars while a Ritz/Four Seasons would typically get 5 stars from me. If you are trying to coordinate a trip with different budgets and different interests, you can't go wrong at Sanctuary! Easy commute from the airport and quick access to Old Town Scottsdale are definitely a plus. One suggestion: go to AJs supermarket just down the street on your way in and stock up on snacks/wine/etc - you will save a ton of money this way since you won't have to resort to the small store on the property or room service when cocktail hour rolls around!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Sancmanager, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent girls weekend at Sanctuary. It sounds like you ladies all had a great overall experience. Glad to hear you took advantage of the workout room and tried some of our classes, like the hike/bike excursion. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience the trouble with your AC caused and hopefully got everything straightened out with your friend’s massage. One of the advantages of being a smaller property than Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton is that we can offer you the same quality service in a much more personalized and private setting. Hopefully you will keep is in mind next time you’re planning another girls getaway here in Arizona.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stunning vistas and opulence only begin to describe this property. From the moment of check in, the attention to detail began. We were whisked to our Ruby X suite near the lap pool and spa via golf cart less than 3 minutes from arriving. When we first entered the suite we were greeted with spacious accommodations and loads of amenities including an outdoor soaking tub and complete balcony facing the valley floor. The architectural prowess coupled with the inclusion of water features throughout the property were more than impressive. The service and staff were attentive to every heed and the spa was off the hook cool. The resort is pricy but well worth the peace and serenity that only Sanctuary can offer. Additionally this property is located conveniently to Scottsdale and a day trip to Sedona is recommended for the adventurous.

Room Tip: Ask for a Suite named after a gemstone.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your most recent stay at Sanctuary. It sounds like you had a wonderful experience from arrival to departure. We’re very happy to hear that the resort staff took very good care of you. I’m glad you were able to relax take advantage of our great spa team. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The service at the Sanctuary is terrible and not up to par with the price of the rooms. Unfortunately, the hotel seems mismanaged and the staff seem poorly trained and were even rude. It is unfortunate because the setting and facilities are beautiful. I would recommend the Four Seasons Troon (Scottsdale) or the Camelback Inn.

My husband and I could not find chairs at the main pool for our entire stay. It was always full. The pool staff, including a rude supervisor, told us we should just wait for chairs to open up and were not helpful or friendly. Seemed ridiculous when you're spending $600 a night for a room. The hotel has memberships for locals who seem to come and camp out all weekend at the relatively small pool. Dont expect to be able to go to the main pool you see in all the ads and postcards if you stay here. We ended up at another small pool called the East Pool throughout our stay which is smaller than most residential private pools and has 5 lounge chairs total. At first my husband and I had to share a lounge chair because the others were full. We ordered some drinks which came to this 'East Pool' -there is very limited service here through a telephone that was then broken the second day we were sitting here. Drinks alone took over 40 minutes to arrive. If you needed to go to the bathroom from this pool it is about a 15 minute walk back down the mountain to the lobby. There is no water or service here so you just have to call into room service and hope some water or drinks arrive within an hour. So dont come here and expect to luxuriate by a pool!

I could go on and on with my disappointments. The high end hotel restaurant Elements rushed my parents who live nearby and my husband and I through our dinner "inviting " us to get up and leave our table after our meal to go to the bar because they had some other people who wanted our table. Again, seems ridiculous considering the price of the rooms! And the restaurant wasnt even full. We had just signed our $500 + meal bill and were quietly chatting. I couldnt believe the Manager had the gall to ask us to get up and move so quickly. I even returned to the restaurant after my parents left to speak to him about it because I was so irritated with my experience at Elements (there were other missteps along the way including a very rude host demanding that we take our cocktails inside and sit down at a table when we had asked if we could enjoy a quick sunset cocktail upon arrival and we were early for our reservation).

I was very disappointed in the service and the poor organization at the Sanctuary. I would definitely not return and think for the price you can do better in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. And expect attitude if you stay here!

Room Tip: We booked a Spa Casita to be near the pool and spa and ended up right above three tennis courts wher...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank gallerinainNY

Thank you for your comments and feedback with your stay. I was so disappointed to hear about your challenges with your stay yesterday when we discussed your issues at checkout. We certainly are a much, much better staff and property than what you experienced and I am truly sorry we did not live up to the typical Sanctuary experience and more importantly, the one you expected and deserved. Your feedback does not go unnoticed and we have addressed your challenges with every department to make sure this does not happen again in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you give us another opportunity to show you the experience you deserve.

Our sincere apologies and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future!

Best Regards,
Jeremy Dougherty
Resort Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was one of my family's most memorable resort stays. The location is dramatic, mountain views in all directions and up against Camelback Mountain. The Sanctuary is a different level resort experience.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It’s great to hear that you all had a wonderful stay overall, and that you really enjoyed the serene setting. Thank you so much for staying with us, and we hope to see you again next time you visit Arizona.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Upon arrival of a 4 night stay, which I paid in full for the spa king suite with outdoor tub, I was told that the suite I booked was only available for one night, then I would have to stay in a basic cabana thereafter. After much distress and a phone call to upper management, I was able to be put in a spa king suite for the remainder of my three nights. They also said they would comp two nights stay.
The first night suite stay did not have the outdoor tub which was promised. At checkout, I was billed for 4 full nights at the suite price and all resort day fees. I had to again request review from management. I was finally credited the two nights, two days of fees.
Lastly, I had to remind staffing at the spa of specials they were promoting for 20% off of treatments in order to get the discounts.
It is not about the money to me. It was about the nickel and dimming. The lack of professionalism of staffing. It is about having a financial contract ahead of time and then getting kicked to the curb upon arrival. The lack of following through and providing what was guaranteed.

Room Tip: Double check you get what you paid for.
4  Thank AMILLERSISTOR

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I'm very sorry to hear it wasn't a positive experience. We absolutely should be providing the room type you reserved and the missed follow up and execution of the financials of your stay should certainly not have been missed. We greatly apologize for the challenges, we've addressed them with our staff and if you're able to discuss the challenges further, I'd love to assist in resolving this and making sure that you are 100% satisfied with the resolution.

Please feel free to reach out to me at jdougherty@sanctuaryaz.com or 480.607.2375. I want to make sure we correct these challenges.

Best Regards,
Jeremy Dougherty
Resort Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#19 of 76 in Scottsdale

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!