“Excellent resort”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Leesburg, Virginia
“Excellent resort”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 days at The Sanctuary last week attending a Board meeting, and it is a wonderful facility. Situated at the very foot of Camelback Mountain, the facility is recently renovated with some of the nicest staff of any resort. They even remember your name! It has a rustic elegance and charm that is hard to find. The check-in area was still undergoing some renovation while I was there, and the new Jade Bar opened the day after I arrived. Some of the best views in all of Arizona. Highly recommended both as a resort and as an experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Reviewed October 22, 2013

world class resort and dining. we'll do it again for sure. the room was well kept.
every activity was convenient and well staffed. all the staff were friendly, courteous, and knowledgable. a five star experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I loved this hotel, well, spa really. After checkin, I was chauffered to my room, and my bags were brought shortly thereafter, because they took us on a guided tour of the campus.

I'd booked a room that had the outdoor soaking tub (which should not be confused with a hot tub because it is as mentioned an outdoor tub in the middle of the desert). It was located off one of our secluded balconies from the rest of the hotel. But there were so many other amenities to write home about on this hotel that it didn't even matter. I'll cut right to the chase. The massage was the best I've ever had. If you like massages, book an extra one because you'll want another soon after you're done.

The rooms are named after natural stones, and help with the atmosphere, I believe I was in the Emerald room. It came with a wraparound balcony, indoor fireplace in the living room area, and had sliding doors in the bedroom as well as the living room. Most every room has a semi private entrance too.

I enjoyed room service which was great, you'll be well fed. The restaurant as well as the bar was intimate and attractive. They offered live music, and served great drinks. The the infinity pool was open well into the night, if not 24 hrs, with towels stocked. Parking was free and a short walk to the rooms.

I told the conceirge about our interest in the area, and he was able to give great suggestions. And also if you don't like heights, this hotel is located in the low elevation of the moutains. So not too high up that you have to worry about the trip back down to civilization. But it is secluded from the neighborhood.

It was perfect and I was leaving way too soon to hotel hop to another resort/spa. We were even able to see our other choices we were going to book, and they didn't come close...such as "#@$% Ho Resort and Spa," which was located off Indian School Rd...it was located on the corner of a busy street. Not what we were going for. So we were very impressed.

Room Tip: Not all the room balconies were private to other guests. We could easily compare rooms. So if you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a Mountain Casita - from arrival to departure we loved every minute. The staff couldn't do enough for you. We had an amazing dinner in the Elements restaurant and several drinks in the newly refurbished Jade Bar. There is nothing negative I could say. Wish we were still there sitting around the infinity pool. The gym and spa are also brilliant.

• Stayed October 2013
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I spent 7 days here for a relax, re-kindle and rejuvenate getaway. We have stayed in almost every 5 star there is and hands down we have never has an experience like we have has at the Sanctuary. Upon arrival, a cheese and fruit plate with a written note from the manager with his contact information shall we need anything during our stay. Our room was perfect... nice and cozy and the size of a small apartment. Everyone here has been more than accommodating and genuinely nice, I truly believe that the employees here care about the guests and working here is more than just a "job".
We even traveled with our small dog and she was treated like a celebrity here. I would highly recommend the Sanctuary to anyone looking for a 5 star experience all around. Small things of note: Internet is included with your stay, room service and restaurants are reasonable which is nice to not be nickel and dimed for every little thing.
I also forgot to mention, the food here is amazing!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great experience overall - came with 3 other friends for the weekend and really enjoyed the property and was impressed with the service.

Beautiful hotel, lots of great attention to detail - excellent spa and fitness facilities - I love that they have a real lap pool in the gym so i didn't have to do my morning swim in the lounge pool area.

We had dinner at Elements on the first night - food and service was excellent, drinks were good, and the overall vibe of the place made for a fun night. They do need to potentially re-configure the Jade bar area to enable more seating or standing room as it filled up pretty early on a Sat evening and the 4 of us couldn't nab a space.

The only other two comments to the hotel might be 1) their coffee at breakfast isn't the best and for about 20 minutes, they had guys chain-sawing sheet metal next to the breakfast area on a saturday morning which was a little insane 2) the smoothies they serve at the pool seem to be made of frozen fruit and they don't have whey protein - just soy. I'm going to assume the sheet metal situation was because of an urgent issue because it seems unlikely they would be crazy enough as to let that happen regularly in the mornings.

I would disagree with the other reviewer who claimed this wasn't up to SLH hotel standards - there were so many moments where the staff anticipated needs and took great care of us - I find it can be hard to find this level of service in the US.

Room Tip: We were in a basic double room for 4 and had a great view and great little living space. I live in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mainz
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Whether you are staying here for business like me, or on a vacation like most of the other guests that were staying there at the same time - this is a wonderful property - you will not be disappointed. The rooms / apartments may not be the newest or most luxuries ones you have come across but in terms of making you feel at home and offering you all the amenities you could need from a hotel room they are hard to beat. From the excellent quality bed through to the great little kitchen unit and fantastic bathroom - everything exceeded my epectations. I loved the golf course just opoosite the hotel, the pool was fantastic and the tennis courts looked great - though unfortunately I did not get to play. The hotel restaurant offered amazing food and a great atmosphere. The bar was just being refurbished and will be stunning.

Best of all - this was one of the very few hotels I have ever stayed at where the service was so exceptional from beginning to end that I just have to bring back my family for a vacation at the Sanctuary in the next couple of months.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#20 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!