“Truly a Sanctuary!”

Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed December 10, 2012

What a fantastic resort. Perfect for a romantic weekend for two. Elements (the restaurant) is award wining. Service impeccable. Food divine. Awesome wine list. Jade Bar (the lounge) had live music and a great atmosphere. Perfect for a before OR after dinner drink. The fitness classes (all included) are excellent and varied. The location is so serene with views of the Praying Monk and Camelback & Mummy Mountains. Really a treat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoriLosch

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I visited Sanctuary for a weekend get away. We have been frequent visitors of the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. We've stayed at many resorts, Biltmore, Gainey Ranch Hyatt, Desert Ridge Marriott, Phoenician, Fairmont Princess, Hilton Tapatio, etc, and had never heard of this little gem.

The name Sanctuary reflects the name well in that it is literally tucked into the hillside of Camelback. It's interesting, when you see the resort property from Google Earth, it appears to be in a clustered area that would suggest there are no good views to have, but this is not the case.

We stayed in the Spa Suite (this is the room with the outdoor bathtub). If your spouse enjoys baths, there's something about being outside in the cool Arizona nite with candles lit, a bottle of wine, and a fire burning in the fireplace to set the mood just right.

We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and arrived late. There were candles lit in our room, but unfortunately we didn't show up til 1:00 am, so the candles were pretty much done, but a nice touch anyway.

The room is large and comfortable. There is a $20.00 resort fee charged each nite, but worth it for the parking, internet and use of the spa.

We had breakfast each morning in the Elements restaurant and sat in a booth that overlooked the palm trees and the pool and the picture windows were perfect. Our service was great the first morning (Rich) and we continued to have people come up filling our glasses and asking if we needed anything. We endulged in pancakes and the eggs benedict, but ALL was good.....AND relaxing.

The only complaint we could offer is that during the day, "housekeeping", "turn down service" come buy perhaps as much as 3 times during the day......SO........if you're taking a nap, be sure to put out your "privacy please" notice on the door so they don't interrupt.

We visited the pool and spa and all was nice.

During the evenings it did get a bit loud so we couldn't keep our door open to let the air in, a bit disappointing, but other than that, it was extremely quiet the rest of the day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank defore4735
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My second visit to Sanctuary. I was returning from a quick trip to China, had an important two day meeting in AZ, and then home. The staff could not have been more helpful to me from my walking in looking exhausted to my final lunch as I was leaving. The service and staff attentiveness was excellent. Nice bed and linens. The rooms are very nice but closing in on the need for an update. Nice flat panel TVs in the living room and bedroom. I had to do some work, and the table in the living room was perfect to spread out everything I needed. WiFi worked very well throughout the resort. Final lunch was in the bar and listened to a bartender give an amazing history of various liquors and drinks to a few interested guests. She was smart and engaging. A nice visit and a great resting spot after a long trip. Thanks to all who made this a very nice and restive visit.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mikedavis2008
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was a little confused by this resort and expected something different. It was very nice but the Asian inspired theme with dark interiors is not really my style.

The highlights of the resort are the fitness classes, the pool area, the friendly and helpful concierge team, and the location within walking distance of Camelback and a short 10 minute drive to downtown Scottsdale. We had a mountain casita for the four nights we stayed which was pretty large and clean but we didn't like that the view was of the parking lot. Cars could park right next to the casitas and we were awoken in the morning by car doors slamming and people leaving for the day. I preferred staying at Boulders Resort nearby where only golf carts are allowed near the casitas and cars are in a separate lot – it makes for a much more peaceful experience.

My husband and I both had massages scheduled at noon on my birthday and we had a confirmation message the previous day for this exact time, however when we arrived at the spa they had moved his massage to half an hour later and didn’t alert us which was an inconvenience as we had lunch plans immediately after. I did however thoroughly enjoy my massage.

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was good; my salmon was perfectly cooked and the service was outstanding. We ate bento boxes by the pool one day and again service was great but the boxes were overpriced for what you get - $18 for a piece of chicken, some rice and cucumber salad. The pool area is beautiful and the pool attendants were very attentive and friendly.

The best part about this hotel is the location – you are one mile from the Echo Canyon Trail on Camelback. The parking lot was packed every time we tried to go there so we had the concierge drop us off at the trail head. Mike, the concierge, was so friendly and helped us out multiple times during our stay.

I took advantage of three fitness classes and enjoyed each one, especially Pilates. They have a wide variety of classes and times and this was exactly what we were looking for in a resort.

We ordered room service for breakfast three separate mornings and each time it was exactly on time and absolutely delicious.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay but next time I think we would try another resort and maybe come here for dinner instead.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WestCoast787
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Sanctuary exceeded our expectations in most every way. We stayed in a Spa Suite room (room name was Pearl X), and when we entered my wife and I both had a "wow" experience. Very large living room with fireplace and sofa, separate large bedroom, a huge bathroom space with a dressing area, and a private outdoor back patio with a large free standing bath tub (the patio was separate from a large terrace with seating in the front of the villa). The hotel service staff generally matched the quality of the room, although the restaurant/bar staff were not quite up to the same level of professionalism. The pool and spa and gym facilities were all top notch, as was the friendliness of the staff in these facilities. Surprisingly for such a classy, sophisticated place as the Sanctuary, when we were staying there we experienced several guests at the pool who seemed to have mistakenly wandered in from the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. Maybe they had won a sales competition at work with the prize being a few nights at the Sanctuary. It sounds snobby, but I don't really need to listen to sales reps standing in the pool talking loudly to clients on their cell phones when I'm staying at a place like this. If you eat at Elements, make sure you skip breakfast and lunch because the portion sizes are enormous and the servers definitely want you to order in abundance. Definitely not spa cuisine. But overall, I highly recommend the Sanctuary.

Room Tip: Pearl X Spa Suite
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BruceLA_NYC
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding at the Sanctuary on October 28, 2012 and I cannot say enough about this resort. I stayed there both the night before our wedding and then on our wedding night. The first night my bridesmaids and I were in a Mountain Casita Suite and it was gorgeous. Absolutely perfect for 4 girls to sleep and get ready in. We ordered room service both for dinner and breakfast and I was shocked at how quick it showed up! Breakfast was delicious and very well priced. The service throughout the hotel was outstanding and everyone was beyond helpful. This is exactly the level of service you would expect from a 5 star resort. Our Wedding- I don't think there is enough room to begin to say how perfect everything was. Again, the staff was amazing and the venue exceeded our expectations. I will however say a very special thank you to Lauren Wickham, Catering Sales Manager. She was AMAZING and we are forever grateful. Her and her team made sure everything was perfect. The night of our wedding we stayed in a Spa Suite and it was gorgeous... and huge! All in all Sanctuary made me feel like a princess and I can't wait to return. If you are in town at least stop in for a drink. The grounds, vibe and service are outstanding. Thank you Sanctuary :)

Room Tip: Room 221 was a quick walk to the lobby and had a great view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband, mother, 2-year-old and I stayed in a Mountain Suite. I had a meeting in Phoenix but preferred this resort because of tripadvisor. The Suite had an extra large dining room, fireplace and sofa with two separate bedrooms with amazing views. We made a fire each of the three nights and loved it as well as room service! The food was exceptional as was each of the staff. Highly recommended to all! In case you are wondering about the toddler.... he had lots of room to run around as we had 2000 feet of space but the front door does not lock so we had to keep an eye on him so he did not run down the mountain :) But this should not prevent you from staying at such a lovely property! Will definitely return next year!

Room Tip: It is worth the extra money for mountain views. You are in your own little villa which is cute. We s...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!