1,979 results
All reviewsjade barelements restaurantspa casitainfinity poolcamelback mountaintop notchmountain view suitespa treatmentspraying monkliving roomroom serviceflip flopspool stafffitness classesturn down serviceget awayfour seasons
Reviewed February 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Sanctuary for a week at the end of November 2007. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, including beautiful accommodations (we stayed in a lovely mountain casita), friendly staff, a great spa and fitness facilties, and elements restaurant with breathtaking views of the surrounding valley and mountains. The only complaint we really had was very bland and annoying music choices in the bar/restaurant area.

Hotel concierges were most helpful in providing recommendations on things to see and do in the area. Our activities ranged from hiking to enjoying Wright's architecture at his former residence Taliesin West to exploring charming towns nearby (Jerome, Carefree, Frontier Town) and sampling local cuisine.

While this was not an inexpensive vacation, we definitely felt like our money was well spent. We have only compliments to this beautiful resort and look forward to coming back.

Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank Newyorker85
Reviewed February 16, 2008

We just returned from a lovely trip to the Sanctuary. The name is most appropriate for this mountain hideaway. The grounds are beautiful and well cared for, the views of Camelback mountain are spectacular, the staff is attentive and pleasant, and the spa first-rate. Unfortunately our trip to paradise was cut short due to a friend's death, so 3 days at the Sanctuary turned into only one. Regardless of the time spent there or the circumstances surrounding our departure, I can promise that it would be too short. We would never want to leave this place! We stayed in a spa suite and felt that it was worth the high cost. We had a sunken living room with a plasma TV, fireplace, and comfortable and stylish furnishings. The bedroom was neither too big nor too small and also had a plasma TV. The sheets were so soft that we chose to watch TV in bed for the sheer comfort. The bed itself was like sleeping on clouds. The bathroom was very large and well appointed- 2 sinks, a separate makeup area, a large walk-in shower, walk-in closet with safe and a huge ottomon in the middle of it all. We had a private back porch off the bathroom with a bathtub and chaise lounge. The room was so nice that we could have been snowed in and been completely happy there. We also had a very large wrap-around front porch- a perfect place for morning coffee or evening wine. We were able to enjoy some fitness classes during our short stay and the fitness room and were pleased with it all. We were also able to enjoy massages and a body scrub in the spa. The spa was amazing- expensive yes so be prepared ($442 for 2 massages and one body scrub). The setting of the spa is peaceful and inviting. It exudes relaxation from the minute you walk in the door. The therapists were kind and knoweldgable and we were more than satisfied with the services and the setup of the spa. We sat by the pool for a bit and enjoyed flavorful and healthy salads and iced teas for $42. There is also a pool attached to the fitness center for lap swimming and relaxation. The main pool is an infinity pool and as beautiful as it is in pictures. The only complaint we had is that there were little children running around the pool area to and from the hot tub and making lots of noise. The pool area is a cellphone-free zone to allow for a relaxing experience but it is not a kid-free zone- seems a bit of a contradiction. We wanted to enjoy lunch so didn't move to the other pool which apparently is adults-only. If we go back we would eat then simply move to the other pool for quiet. We spent $2,100 for 2 nights and one day and chose the Sanctuary because we wanted a break from our own kids. This resort may welcome families but the setting just doesn't fit with little children. We did not eat at Elements (although heard fantastic reviews from those that did) but did enjoy the Jade Bar and it is a delight. The outdoor furniture is stylish and comfortable and the heaters and fireplace add warmth and a lovely glow to soak up the views of the mountain. All in all a great experience. The staff was accomodating and pleasant without being pushy and pretentious. The other guests were laid-back and quiet as well. It is not uncommon to see guests walking the grounds in their Sanctuary robes so comfort rules. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, including the staff. If you want to be treated like a queen and have staff tripping over themselves to help you (read bother you), go to the Phoenician. If you want a resort with the perfect marriage of comfort and luxury, stay here.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank HeartlandTravelers
Reviewed February 15, 2008

My visit to Sanctuary Camelback was amazing. Their website photos don't do the resort justice. As we approached it my jaw dropped open at the beautiful surroundings. This was my first visit to Arizona and I didn't know what to expect. It's beautiful.

The restaurant, Elements, was phenomenal. The food and staff were amazing. Everything I ordered during my stay was prepared to perfection. The staff was attentive to my every need. The view and sunsets left me in awe each evening.

I highly recommend making time to hike Camelback Mountain. There are two trails nearby - The one I did was the harder one. It had some pretty tough terrain but anyone in decent shape should have no problem. Be sure to wear good sneakers or hiking boots and take a bottle of water. The view from the top is breathtaking.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Sunbrushed
Reviewed February 14, 2008

We stayed at the Sanctuary for three nights in July and will certainly return there in the future. The staff is very friendly and helpful (although they are not the best source for restaurant suggestions). Our room was very clean and comfortable and the views from our windows were awesome.

Our favorite part of the property was by far the main pool. Our only reservation was that it was quite removed from our room and we had to walk for 5-7 minutes to get there. That doesn’t sound like lot but we did a lot of walking there in 120 degree heat and it was very uncomfortable. On the other hand, once we got there, there were always plenty of chairs, the poolside service was attentive and the drinks were great. The view from the pool is unbelievable!

I would certainly recommend the Sanctuary to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lina_256
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I stayed here the weekend after Thanksgiving through a package I booked on luxurylink.

Rooms: I had the basic room (Mountain View casita) at the Sanctuary, which featured a sitting area with a large bar. It really felt like being at a spa. For example, it included nice bath salts, and they played relaxing music (which they allow you to keep) at turndown and lit candles.

Bathroom: The bathroom included a separate bath and shower. The bathtub in the Sanctuary casita also opened to the room so you could watch the flat-screen TV.

Spa: The spa is open and airy with a nice waiting area and a whirlpool. There are also several indoor and outdoor treatment rooms and a relaxation room. My massage was great. The fitness center is also very nice.

Pool: The Sanctuary has a couple of small pools in different areas of the resort that you can basically have to yourself. Then, of course, there's the main infinity pool that is in all the pictures. Pool service was great.

Food: Excellent. My one complaint about the Sanctuary is that the breakfast room service menu did not include a non-pork alternative such as turkey bacon or chicken sausage.

Hiking: The Sanctuary offers guided hikes, which are also easy to do yourself. However, the hiking near the Sanctuary (Echo Canyon) is very challenging and not well-suited for beginners. It is about a mile away.

Atmosphere: The Sanctuary seems to have a young demographic and more of a modern/hip vibe.

Location: The Sanctuary is relatively close to the airport and close to the main areas in Scottsdale and Phoenix.

Overall, I loved my stay at the Sanctuary.

• Stayed: November 2007