“Beautiful Vistas, Great Location”

Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Canada
“Beautiful Vistas, Great Location”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We arrived in the mid-afternoon to a pleasant, welcoming staff at Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain. It was a great first impression for our 3-night stay.

The rooms, including one handicap-accessible, were well appointed, clean and comfortable. The decor was a bit too kitschy for my taste, but I was on the go too much to care. My main requirement is cleanliness and Sanctuary had no problem in that regard. The rooms were attended to with fresh bed linens each day and towels were refreshed at evening turn-down, as well as each morning.

The property is beautifully landscaped with lovely vistas in every direction. Tranquility is the key word at this property. It's a great place to get away from the hurried kinetics of day-to-day life. Relaxing by the infinity pool was a great way to spend one of our afternoons. The unobtrusive staff attended to our refreshment needs and kept the pool area neatly attended.

We dined on the property for breakfast and lunch only. The food was good and fresh and the restaurant had a great view. Our only negative experience in our 3-day stay was a grumpy hostess in the restaurant on a morning when we requested a table outside overlooking the pool. The wait staff in the restaurant and bar, however, was lovely.

There was one glitch with the in-room TV ordering system. One person in our party is handicapped and preferred to order breakfast to her room. Two of the three nights there was a room service breakfast menu to hang on the outside of her door. On the one night she didn't get one in the room she wanted to try order her breakfast via the TV menu. It didn't work. Not much of a problem, however, because once breakfast was ordered the next morning it was delivered within 10 minutes. Excellent room service!

Bottom line... we'd definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms that have a name rather than a number have the best views and interiors. They're more...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Wow, many thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful and informative review! Thanks also for letting me know about the room service glitch and I will escalate this to our F&B team right away.

We will look forward to your return visit!

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We were here for a work / fund weekend. Our room was in one of the casitas beneath the main part of the resort and above the tennis courts. My wife, in particular, was very impressed with the room and the size of the bathroom.

We had dinner on night at Elements, which is a must if you are staying at the resort. Generally speaking, I would say that the name of the resort is appropriate and if you are looking for a place to get away and relax (pool, tennis, hiking), it is great. You feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, but you're actually a five minute drive to great shopping and other restaurants in Scottsdale. My wife also enjoyed the spa (it was pretty expensive though). I would have trouble staying here for more than a long weekend though, because I'd get bored, but that's just me.

1 Thank buckiz1980
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
I am delighted to hear that you got to mix some fun in with your work and that you enjoyed the Sanctuary! I hope we will see you again one day.

Seven Valleys, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I surprised my wife with a 30th birthday getaway to the Sanctuary. From the moment we checked in with Kimberly at the front desk, our stay was memorable. Although our mountain suite was unavailable 5 hours prior to "check-in", we got an honest response saying that the suite would be ready when the other guests check-out. We appreciated the honesty so we didn't spend time rechecking every hour. We started our journey down to Old Scottsdale, and while I had planned most of the day out, the concierge was so helpful in suggesting a different restaurant for dinner, Los Sombreros (extremely good authentic Mexican food).

We returned after hitting Old Scottsdale and going to lunch at AZ88 (a great unique place for lunch/dinner) and our room was ready at 2:30pm. We were greeted this time by our names and that was refreshing that the bell hop desk remembered us, as did Kimberly at the front desk. We were escorted to our room by Patrick and we made our way into the room, which was amazing. The views from these suites are stunning, not to mention the coziness feel of the room with a wood burning fireplace and separate soaking tub and shower with dual sinks. These are luxuries that we have at home and always think that at most resorts that the bathrooms are not on par with our home living, so this was very refreshing.

We spent the evening at the bar for some pre-dinner drinks, and the bartenders were very good and attentive. I did not find out until Sunday that this is a fusion bar that only uses fresh ingredients. This would have been good to know that night since I am a vodka/OJ type of person, and their orange juice is freshly squeezed every day. The bed was extremely comfortable and we crashed early that night due to the long day of traveling from the east coast along with the walking that we did in Old Scottsdale. The resort has turn-down service every night where they light candles and give you fresh towels and put on music for you to return to your room to which was very nice and unexpected.

Saturday, we ate at the main restaurant for breakfast. I had an unbelievable combination of French Toast with banana whip topping and macadamia nuts, while my wife had the pecan waffles that had I believe strawberries on it too. We both had the fresh squeezed orange juice which was so worth the cost. This was our only downfall in service, as the hostess took our name and room number, then over 30 minutes, gave our table away to 3 different couples. She was also unwilling to take a reservation for dinner for Sunday, so I made it with the very helpful concierge. We were seated outside, where the waitress was never made aware that we were there, so we sat for 20 minutes (while being in a hurry to get going on our day-trip) without any service. This might be a blemish, but it was not the waitress' fault and the service was outstanding the rest of the breakfast and weekend so this is very minor - just reviewing honestly so that you can see that Sanctuary does employ humans and not robots that are so extremely nice all the time. We also spent about 20 minutes talking to the concierge who was so helpful in our planned trip to Sedona. This is probably the only thing that I messed up on the weekend as I probably should have stayed a separate day/night in Sedona. The trip was amazing and we saw so many great sights. I definitely recommend this trip, and recommend Renee's at Tlaquepaque for dinner. We tried to go to Enchantment Resort for lunch, but their resort is under renovation, so while the food was good, the scenery didn't have the "wow factor" that the concierge described.

Okay, back to the resort. We never spent time in the main pool or the pool by our suite due to the weather outside. It was unseasonably cloudy and not as warm as I expected, although the pools were very clean, well maintained, and kept at a temperature around 86 degrees! The main pool had an amazing infinity edge and had a small hot tub. I liked that it was open 24 hours a day, and this is something that we will certainly take advantage of on our next trip. I used the gym 3/4 days while being there, and it had a lot of free weights, a smith machine, and an assortment of other weight machines that allowed me to get my workouts in. Very clean and the staff kept each machine wiped down and a clean towel and headphones on each cardio machine.

Sunday we went to brunch, and unfortunately I did not pay attention to the start time of 11am. We arrived at 10am and were told that we still had an hour. As we sat and discussed our options (I was starving and was getting ornery) the head mixologist, Brian, brought me an on-the-house muffin to tide me over. Brunch was so worth it, with the shrimp being amazing, along with the great made-to-order omelets. The pastries were to die for, as they brought two freshly made cinnamon rolls to our table and the pastries on the buffet were fabulous too. The mini desserts that were all hand-made were great too. The bartender thought he could get a specific NFL game for me, but instead I had to jet off to a bar while my wife enjoyed her rejuvenation package at the spa. She loved everything about it, citing that the spa was nothing but tranquil and they pampered her wonderfully. Upon returning in the afternoon, and waiting for my wife to return, I sat at the bar and had some drinks (vodka/OJ). The service was great and the bartenders took time to get to know the patrons while we discussed football with all of the other guests.

Lastly, dinner was unmatched with both quality of the food and the service. I have never been treated so well. We were greeted by our names, a staple for most of our stay, and had calamari for an appetizer. The waitress was very attentive, but not over bearing as to allow us to eat our meal on my wife's birthday. She was knowledgeable about the menu and also the wine selection, which was great. My wife ate the short ribs and I had the special, Blue Marlin. I savored every bite and tried my wife's dinner where the ribs just melted like butter in your mouth. We also ordered the asparagus (looked as if they were on steroids) that came out a few minutes later than the meal and was surprisingly comped due to the tardiness (was not needed/requested but was a very nice gesture). The chef's dessert preparation for my wife's birthday was a wonderful surprise, not to mention amazing (peanut butter bomb). We walked around the property which is meticulously manicured and then spent a long time talking with Kimberly and the other person at the front desk for a lengthy, personal conversation. They were not that busy, and we stepped aside anytime another guest came, but they went out of their way to make us feel special, although it didn't seem like they were trying, seemed very genuine.

I would like to note that we do not like to set expectations when going on vacation, and we certainly don't think that we are anymore special than the next person. What we loved was the attentiveness that the staff paid to everyone, not choosing to go out of their way for just one guest over another, and the genuineness of the staff showed through, especially Kimberly at the front desk. We cannot wait to return, and this time, we will spend more time at the resort relaxing!

Room Tip: I certainly recommend the mountain suite for the views alone. Talking to Kimberly, she agreed that...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
What a wonderful thing for you to take so much time to write this review. Your honest feedback is so appreciated and I will be sure to recognize Kim who really is a superstar. We will look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My office team rented CASA 5. It was a fabulous setting at the house nestled into the side of Camelback. We had panoramic views of the valley. The staff were so diligent about all of our needs and everything was taken care of including sending a grocery list in advance to fill our fridge.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Resort. We dined at Table XII, the private room with view of the kitchen if we wanted, and the food and staff were unbelievable. Some of my team said it was the best meal of their life.

We were sad to say goodbye and hope to return soon. Thanks for making our retreat amazing.

Room Tip: We rented Casa 5 - it is a house that sleeps 16. The living room and deck / pool are amazing. The...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Phoenix
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We live in Phoenix and we have been to all the top properties in the area. This was our 1st visit to Sanctuary. We stayed in a "mountain vista suite" which was very large, about a full size living room including a dining table and a fireplace. Even though it was a bit warm for Fall I still made a fire, and you have everything you need including the hearth tools to move the logs around, mesquite wood is provided and made the room smell great. This resort has casitas scattered all the way up a hillside, you'll want to call the golf cart if you're trying to walk to dinner in heels. However, the rooms further up the hill have incredible views over Paradise Valley with Camelback behind and to the side. We had a big balcony to enjoy the view, there are chaises to relax in and a table to enjoy breakfast.

They just renovated the dining room for Elements and it is a beautiful space, views are again excellent though my wife had her view partially blocked by some plants that were set between booths on the lowest level of the dining room. Elements is a good restaurant, definitely in the top tier in the area. My wife rated this her favorite but I wouldn't go that far.

Decor in the rooms is interesting. They have gone for a cross between Zen and midcentury modern. Bathrooms have been recently renovated and were really up to the moment, toiletries are excellent. Little tea lights are all over and maid service lights them for you in the evening. However, the kitchens are beyond outdated. This property is expensive and to find the original appliances (I haven't seen a stove like this sine the early '80s) was a bit jarring, even if we didn't cook!

The infinity pool was famous for being the 1st in Scottsdale but this is nothing special now. It's nice but not especially big. Service poolside was friendly and attentive, and they have excellent towels- I find sometimes this is an area where resorts try to save money, so I appreciated that! Robes were also great.

It's hard to compare this to the Phoenician, which is so much larger. I like the art collection at the Phoenician, and the pools are huge. But the hillside location here was really great, and the view across Paradise Valley is hard to beat. Sanctuary is quieter as it is smaller and has a boutique vibe. Service is excellent at both. I have to give the nod to the Phoenician for having more modern and fully renovated rooms. The Phoenoician has the best bakery in town and their breakfast pastries are far superior to what I had here. You won't go wrong with either.

Room Tip: Higher up the hill will give you better views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
We love the location as well and are so glad to hear you enjoyed the beauty and the surroundings! We will all look forward to seeing you again one day soon.

Vancouver,Wa
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We arrived EARLY at 10am, 6 hours prior to check-in but that didn't matter. We were immediately taken to our Spa Suite which was beautiful! Everything was there as they promised - TVs, Fridge, Coffee Maker, Wine Key. The first thing we noticed when checking the room out was that we couldn't figure out how to open the doors to the outside tub. It appeared broken so we called the front desk. They had maintenance right over who noticed the doors were damaged and he promptly repaired the doors. Meanwhile over the large tub there was a large tree that hadn't been pruned in a while which would prevent us from both using the tub at the same time so we brought this to the attention of the maintenance man. He said that he would have the grounds people come by and take care of it and they did. We then started the vacation and the rest was wonderful. Some staff were young and inexperienced in the menu but always helpful and friendly. This may have been new hires undergoing training for the upcoming busy season. The hike up Echo Canyon was about 20 minutes away walking, just about a mile. It was a beautiful hike and we would recommend it if you're up to it!

My wife loved the 'fit' facial she got at the Spa. She highly recommends it. The pork buns at the happy hour were great. The turkey burger is a must have! Drinks were good and service was great. The complementary toiletries were also great and plentiful.

Overall everyone was extremely friendly and the customer service level was far beyond what we receive at other resorts. They've set a new level to beat!

Room Tip: Spa suites were near everything but far enough away to still be quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank artistikone
And we certainly cannot wait to have you return! Please feel free to call me directly if I can assist you with future reservations!

Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed at the Sanctuary in November for five nights. There are a couple of things that the hotel could change, the breakfast menu seems to cater for the US market and does not really take into account that the europeans eat smaller amounts, we ended up just ordering a side of toast each morning. Also we were in one of the suites higher up the mountain and it would have been nice to have had a notice in the room to advise that we could call the bell desk to pick us up and take us to the restaurant, I tried walking down in heels and this was no mean feat, but these are minor things. Was this the nicest looking hotel I have ever stayed in - no, but and this is a really big but I have never stayed anywhere else where the staff have been so polite, helpful and friendly this hotel excels in this department. We felt so strongly about this that we called the manager to tell her how impressed we were.

The long and the short of it is that we would definitely recommend this hotel and will be returning.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your compliments regarding our staff and our resort. It is so wonderul to have guests like you and we look forward to your return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#16 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!