“Quiet and modern”

Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed July 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed in one of Sanctuary's mountain suites. The room was beautiful, modern, and very quiet. The room had a great view of the valley and sunset. We only had two real criticisms. First, it appeared that the hotel had recently replaced the bedroom carpet and not steam cleaned it. Unfortunately, the carpet color stained the soles of our feet a very dark grey. As a result, my wife and I looked a bit like Huck Finn. Second, the restaurant can get very busy. So the valet parking desk can get backed up, and guests have no way to bypass the line to get to their rooms. We ended up waiting about 10 minutes to get past an entire family trying to figure out who was driving where.

All in all, the stay was relaxing and pleasurable.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding Sanctuary, I am so sorry about the carpet and we are currently sending our flooring team through the property as quickly as possible to get all rooms done in the next few weeks. I appreciate your understanding and we will look forward to seeing you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Sanctuary Camelback Mountain

Reviewed June 28, 2011

This place truly was a sanctuary, in that I felt completely relaxed and refreshed after my stay. It is a small facility, so if you want the experience of a million classes, this isn't for you. My highlights of the trip were the hike on Camelback mountain (if you get up early, it's still pleasant, even in June). The spa services were top notch, the room was large and beautifully furnished. They think of all the little things, like bringing you the NYT in the morning, easy internet access at no charge, giving you little amenities like flip flops and spray scent for the bed that you can take home so your bed will still have the spa smell!

But my absolute favorite part about the Sanctuary was the service. Everyone who worked there, from the spa attendants, to the folks at the pool, the valet and the restaurant were warm, friendly and helpful. They never seemed put out by any request and really seemed interested in the well being and comfort of the guests.

So, if you want to be truly pampered in a small, intimate setting, this is the place to try. I look forward to the day I can go back!

Room Tip: Travel during off season is far less expensive
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

A sincere thank you for taking your time to write this wonderful review. We truly PRIDE ourselves on customer service and I am excited to share your kind comments with our hard-working and passionate Sanctuary team!

Reviewed June 25, 2011

We decided that we needed to get away from the gloomy New England weather. The criteria included guaranteed sunshine and a nonstop flight. We chose Phoenix and the Sanctuary. The place was perfect. Our room was gracious and the service was spectacular.
The food was delicious.The Sous Chef Russell was so accommodating and incredibly talented. Chef Aaron was also pretty great after a small miss-step. There was no reason to eat anywhere other than the Hotel,
We basically never left the campus. We had spa treatments every day. The spa was wonderful and the therapists were amazing. There is a daily resort fee that includes parking, the gym and internet.
I am already planning a return visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

Many thanks to you for staying with us at Sanctuary and taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and will look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 23, 2011

I've had the privilege to stay at many fine resorts, and sometimes it is very hard to distinguish one from another. The Phoenix area is overloaded with top-end options like the Biltmore, Phoenician, Ritz, Four Seasons, Royal Palms (see my earlier review), etc., and like many of these, Sanctuary is part of the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts which offers incredible perks and discounts. For sheer relaxation, peacefulness, solitude, and scenery in the desert, this is the top! The staff is very attentive and friendly in a casual yet very respectful manner (not formal or stuffy at all). Service is outstandingly prompt for any type of request. The turndown service each night was a very nice touch We stayed 6 nights and wished for 6 more. The contemporary styling of the rooms is very refreshing, and they are spacious and well furnished. And the views are amazing. We visited several of the top area resorts and are delighted we stayed here. The location is very convenient to the best Scottsdale has to offer. Check my other reviews for restaurant recommendations. Also, be sure to visit Julia Baker Chocolates at the Intercontinental for some of the best chocolates anywhere. The ultimate compliment is that we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and for mentioning the service levels of our Sanctuary team. We pride ourselves on our outstanding guest service scores and having guests such as you make our jobs especially rewarding!

Hope to see you again one day soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've stayed here a few times over the last several years and yes, this is a gorgeous place to stay, but this last time was slightly disappointing. When I first stayed here I was in awe of everything and the room was amazing, but after staying a couple more times, I'm sad to see that they've changed nothing. Every little thing in the rooms has stayed exactly the same and for the amount you pay to stay here, I'd like to see a little freshening up of the decor. Just to keep people coming back. Another negative is the food. Any time I've ordered room service here it has been pretty average. With that said, I do love this place overall. The rooms and suites are great in size, very modern decor, comfortable beds and a lot of nice features. I'm sure I'll stay here again, but if nothing gets updated every so often, it may make me consider other places in the future.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am excited to let you know that we will be starting some decor updates in our mountain casitas and suites on July 18, 2011. This will bring some exciting additions and changes to these rooms and I do hope you can visit again in late 2011 or in 2012 to see the refresh.

Thank you so much for your input!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Thanks, Sanctuary. Now that I've been thoroughly spoiled by your rooms and flawless service, a regular hotel room will just not do. Why have a hotel room, when you can have a casita? I was originally skeptical about choosing the Sanctuary over the Four Seasons, but I love boutique hotels and wanted to give it a shot. From the moment you arrive, you notice that everyone is (almost oddly) exceptionally cheerful. It sets the mood for a happy, relaxing stay. The rooms are spacious and luxurious, allowing for a bit of calm and indulgence, even in the middle of a business trip! Tip: Don't try to take a conference call next to the gorgeous infinity pool...they will ask you to leave the area.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from any maintenance areas
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Your compliments are much appreciated and I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of our gorgeous Sanctuary. I hope you will visit again soon and I can meet you in person!

Reviewed June 7, 2011

I usually don't write reviews (although I read them all the time) and therefore won't really follow much of a format. I'm writing this review essentially to complain about just one aspect of my recent stay at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain resort.

First off let me say that my wife and I had a, mostly, relaxing time and really did enjoy ourselves. We stayed in a Spa Casita room from Jun 3 to Jun 6. Yes, it was a little warm (highs in the 100s) but just right for sitting by the pool drinking margaritas and getting lost in a good book, with frequent dips in the (perfect temperature) infinity pool. There were plenty of empty pool loungers (likely due to low occupancy - low season) and the pool staff were very attentive - moving umbrellas around, bringing ice water frequently, quick with ordered drinks/food. The grounds are well maintained and the layout is thoughtful. We had breakfast at Elements each day and it was really good, if a little pricey. Lunch, too, was very enjoyable. We had dinner off the resort each night - once at The Royal Palms, once at the Fairmont (both of which were fantastic), and once at a local sports bar so I could watch my Canucks in the Stanley Cup!

We got an amazing rate on the room - averaged ~ $190/night, and it was really very nice. It was quite big, with a comfortable couch and chair, a large patio, a well stocked mini bar with room for your own stuff if you wanted, modern decor, well lit bathroom, private toilet, and a DVD player. The flat screen TV was a little small, but was on a swivel that allowed good viewing from wherever you were in the room. The bed was very comfortable and there were a ton of pillows. There was lots of light via big windows which had heavy drapes that nicely blocked out almost all of the light if you wanted.

Now for the complaint. I will preface this by saying that I don't get massages very often and don't usually go to spas - have maybe had a total of 10 in my life. Anyway, the massages that I have had have occasionally been too deep (read painful). So I explained this to the (large, male) masseuse, and asked for light to medium touch. This wasn't what I got. And although I was constantly tensing up whenever he caused excessive pain and occasionally crying out in pain, he didn't alter his technique. I could be somewhat blamed for not telling him to cut it out, but I am not one that likes confrontation, and also didn't want him to think that I was a wimp, and kept thinking he must be getting the message. But it continued and went on and on - for 90 min. At the end I was so much more tense and not relaxed, it was a disaster! Then, just to top it off, when leaving, you are asked to sign your bill. A 20% gratuity is already calculated and printed off as the total. You are then told that you can keep this amount or adjust it (just up?). Again, not wanting to be confrontational I just signed it and left. Left to my own devices I would not have tipped anything, but that would have been a big production I'm sure. This masseuse was just doing his own thing, as I guess he thinks he knows best. He was obviously not trained at reading/sensing his client's level of comfort/relaxation, which I kind of figure a worker at 'Sanctuary' should be able to do. However, that was the only negative in an otherwise very nice stay. I should point out that my wife's treatments were really enjoyable/relaxing, according to her.

Despite the horrible massage, I would return to Sanctuary - because of all of the other positives. This was our first time visiting the Phoenix area and it was much nicer than I had expected, so when we go back we'll likely look at Sanctuary again, minus any treatments for me.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for letting us know about the situation with your massage therapist. We are working directly with this therapist and sincerely apologize for this experience. As mentioned in the earlier apology note we sent to you we would love to have the opportunity to make this up to you on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may make arrangements for you!

Warm regards and sincere thanks,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#22 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!