1,975 results
All reviewsjade barelements restaurantspa casitainfinity poolcamelback mountaintop notchmountain view suitespa treatmentspraying monkliving roomroom serviceflip flopspool stafffitness classesturn down serviceget awayfour seasons
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Thanks, Sanctuary. Now that I've been thoroughly spoiled by your rooms and flawless service, a regular hotel room will just not do. Why have a hotel room, when you can have a casita? I was originally skeptical about choosing the Sanctuary over the Four Seasons, but I love boutique hotels and wanted to give it a shot. From the moment you arrive, you notice that everyone is (almost oddly) exceptionally cheerful. It sets the mood for a happy, relaxing stay. The rooms are spacious and luxurious, allowing for a bit of calm and indulgence, even in the middle of a business trip! Tip: Don't try to take a conference call next to the gorgeous infinity pool...they will ask you to leave the area.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from any maintenance areas
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Your compliments are much appreciated and I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of our gorgeous Sanctuary. I hope you will visit again soon and I can meet you in person!

Reviewed June 7, 2011

I usually don't write reviews (although I read them all the time) and therefore won't really follow much of a format. I'm writing this review essentially to complain about just one aspect of my recent stay at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain resort.

First off let me say that my wife and I had a, mostly, relaxing time and really did enjoy ourselves. We stayed in a Spa Casita room from Jun 3 to Jun 6. Yes, it was a little warm (highs in the 100s) but just right for sitting by the pool drinking margaritas and getting lost in a good book, with frequent dips in the (perfect temperature) infinity pool. There were plenty of empty pool loungers (likely due to low occupancy - low season) and the pool staff were very attentive - moving umbrellas around, bringing ice water frequently, quick with ordered drinks/food. The grounds are well maintained and the layout is thoughtful. We had breakfast at Elements each day and it was really good, if a little pricey. Lunch, too, was very enjoyable. We had dinner off the resort each night - once at The Royal Palms, once at the Fairmont (both of which were fantastic), and once at a local sports bar so I could watch my Canucks in the Stanley Cup!

We got an amazing rate on the room - averaged ~ $190/night, and it was really very nice. It was quite big, with a comfortable couch and chair, a large patio, a well stocked mini bar with room for your own stuff if you wanted, modern decor, well lit bathroom, private toilet, and a DVD player. The flat screen TV was a little small, but was on a swivel that allowed good viewing from wherever you were in the room. The bed was very comfortable and there were a ton of pillows. There was lots of light via big windows which had heavy drapes that nicely blocked out almost all of the light if you wanted.

Now for the complaint. I will preface this by saying that I don't get massages very often and don't usually go to spas - have maybe had a total of 10 in my life. Anyway, the massages that I have had have occasionally been too deep (read painful). So I explained this to the (large, male) masseuse, and asked for light to medium touch. This wasn't what I got. And although I was constantly tensing up whenever he caused excessive pain and occasionally crying out in pain, he didn't alter his technique. I could be somewhat blamed for not telling him to cut it out, but I am not one that likes confrontation, and also didn't want him to think that I was a wimp, and kept thinking he must be getting the message. But it continued and went on and on - for 90 min. At the end I was so much more tense and not relaxed, it was a disaster! Then, just to top it off, when leaving, you are asked to sign your bill. A 20% gratuity is already calculated and printed off as the total. You are then told that you can keep this amount or adjust it (just up?). Again, not wanting to be confrontational I just signed it and left. Left to my own devices I would not have tipped anything, but that would have been a big production I'm sure. This masseuse was just doing his own thing, as I guess he thinks he knows best. He was obviously not trained at reading/sensing his client's level of comfort/relaxation, which I kind of figure a worker at 'Sanctuary' should be able to do. However, that was the only negative in an otherwise very nice stay. I should point out that my wife's treatments were really enjoyable/relaxing, according to her.

Despite the horrible massage, I would return to Sanctuary - because of all of the other positives. This was our first time visiting the Phoenix area and it was much nicer than I had expected, so when we go back we'll likely look at Sanctuary again, minus any treatments for me.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for letting us know about the situation with your massage therapist. We are working directly with this therapist and sincerely apologize for this experience. As mentioned in the earlier apology note we sent to you we would love to have the opportunity to make this up to you on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may make arrangements for you!

Warm regards and sincere thanks,

Reviewed June 7, 2011

My girlfriends and I celebrated a birthday with a spa retreat at the Sanctuary. Everything from the spa services to the food at Elements was incredible. One thing that sets this property apart is the amazing customer service. I have stayed at many 5 star resorts and have never encountered this sort of outgoing, "accomodate any request" attitude. We were impressed by the size, value and cleanliness of our room. The housekeeping was punctual and room service was equally timely.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

I am so happy to hear that your girlfriends getaway was such a success. Please let me know when you can visit us again so we can do something extra special for you!

Reviewed June 7, 2011

This is a great resort for relaxation combined with exercise and yoga. We searched for a place to hep us jump start a new healthier lifestyle. This resort offers a variety of yoga, pilates and spinning classes, biking and hikes up Camelback (with a guide or on your own). All classes were led by well-trained, skilled and delightful people. It was just what we wanted. The resort itself is beautiful. We had a Mountain View Villa - lots of space, lovely and clean - the views just as promised. The photos on the website don't do it justice. The staff are among the best I've ever encountered - friendly and lots of attention to detail. The location is right at the base of Camelback mountain and away from the city but a short drive to great restaurants and Old Scottsdale. The location makes it a good spot for wildlife - many birds, esp. Roadrunners, my favorite! No loud music at the pool - another big plus for us! We hated to leave and plan to return.

Room Tip: Mountain view villa was our favorite
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

It sounds like you really took advantage of all that Sanctuary has to offer and had a great time! We will look forward to having you back soon and I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you in person!

Reviewed June 3, 2011

This place was exactly what the website showed. The service from all of the staff was amazing at all times. One of the great things was the ability to pretty much walk anywhere you wanted. They provided maps in the room of running / walking routes around the facility. The gym, pool, and spa were amazingly clean and well maintained. And the location is close enough to any type of food you may want if your not dining at the hotel.

Room Tip: webiste rates were the same as hotels.com
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Many thanks to you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We, too, hope you will be back very soon!