“Beautiful family friendly, yet boutique hotel experience”

Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my family and booked it through luxurylink. This property is a secret gem!

My children are 5 and 7 and I am tired of staying a family friendly resorts that don't have a lot of character and fail to cater to the parents and the kids. This resort does all of that and more! This has a boutique hotel feel with lots of nooks and crannies to discover along the resort, but caters to kids at the kid friendly pool without feeling like an annoying family hotel. The poolside restaurant was perfect for a casual dinner with kids (yet still feeling very modern and great for a cocktail for the parents) and the Italian restaurant was fantastic for brunch!

I have traveled a lot with and without kids and would go back here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alyssaa755
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

I LOVE this review, and this is exactly what we want people to know and feel here at Montelucia! So happy you all enjoyed the stay and everyone of all ages were pleased! We hope to see you again soon. Think of us during the Holiday season when it gets a bit chilly in Dallas!

There are newer reviews for Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here along with a group of friends doing a 'staycation' as a B-day celebration. Overall Rooms are very nice and bathrooms are over the top spectacular. Pools are nice, not too crowded and a little more subdued than other valley pools that can be more of a party atmosphere. If you want to explore Phoenix/Scottsdale at all you will need a car as there is nothing in walking distance. Although there are plenty of services (food, coffee, etc) onsite.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We hope you had a wonderful birthday and come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I changed resorts from The Phoenician after a business conference to take advantage of the spa specials at The Montelucia and boy am I glad I did. While the other property was nice this one was uniqely decorated. From the time we stepped on the resort it was 'different'. It had a feeling like we were in another country. The room we had was in bldg 6. It led out to the adult saltwater pool. Out room was sizeable with a large tub and the walk in shower was nice. It would have been nice to size on the patio but it was just too dsrn hot. But let me tell you that the spa was excellent. It has been awhile since i have had a facial & this was just what I needed. The silky sheets on the treatment beds were totally my scene. I totally love the ladies' lounge which had relaxation beds in a separate room before treatment. Also you could enjoy your complimentary wine by the rooftop adult pool that has a stunning view of Camelback Mountain. In addition, you have the option to utilize various spa amenities. The fitness center is nice too but I was too lazy for that.

I know I have said alot but I must mention how super nice Scott (I think thats his name) is from Prado. He made sure our kale salads were delivered poolside even though they weren't on the menu. And I enjoyed the food. It was prepared to my liking and fresh and balanced out my liquor. I felt rejuvenated and the beds slept well. I did have to request to be moved to a room that did not have a room above because of a bit of noise but I was accomodated and the bellhop was hot! I enjoyed my time here.

Room Tip: If you don't like walking you can get a ride with a bellman.....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your email. I am so pleased you were able to stay with us after your meeting. The Joya Spa is incredible and I am hope you are able to come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our family stayed here in July. The property is very nice and luxurious. The SPA is AMAZING... one of the best things in the Phoenix area. So, why the poor rating?

The property has two pools. The main pool is for all ages. The problem is that this property is PARTY you but off location. This pool was PACKED and full of highly intoxicated to drunk patrons...not an environment for kids. The pool was one big wild party...like a Vegas style Adult Pool!

We tried to go the the other pool on the property. There were only 5 or 6 people at this pool, and it was much more a family environment. We told that we couldn't us it because it was adults only pool.

So, the only pool where most parents would take their kids is off limits to families, and the only pool where parents wouldn't want children to be...a pool packed with partying and drunk adults...was ironically the only pool where parents could take their children. When we asked the front desk about this, their response was..."this is our resort you may wish to find one that's more family oriented." Seriously? Montelucia, where's courtesy for ALL guests, including families? Do you only cater to drunk party-goers? Maybe this one reason Intercontinental dropped their fine name from your property.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Trent M

Thank you for your review. This is quite disheartening to read. We have truly tried to create an environment for every one of our guests that provides the experience they were looking for, but better! Our sincere apologies for the experience you had but I hope that we would have a chance to see you again to ensure you experience a true Montelucia vacation.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have wanted to stay at the Montelucia for years now… It’s where my husband proposed and it holds an extra special meaning because of that. We have been there a few times for different events or their sunset cinemas and it has seemed so quiet with not a lot of people – just the kind of place where I’d like to spend a weekend, especially to celebrate our 1st anniversary. It cost a lot of money but I really thought it would be worth it… I am now realizing I should have booked at a different place as unfortunately, the Montelucia didn’t live up to my expectations – especially for the high price we had to pay.

I was able to book an “Experience the Montelucia” package which turned out to be a really great thing as we got to spend $25 on the property and we had $60 towards breakfast and chose to order room service. They do tack on a lot of fees to that, but I have seen that at other hotels as well. With this package the $10 parking fee and $25 resort fee were waived and I was told this by 2 employees previous to checking in and at check in. Funny that at check out, the concierge who helped me because they over charged me said it didn’t cover parking, and never did, but would take care of it for me if I was told that. She did ask to see if I had something in writing that confirmed parking was included (which I did in my email and looked at it later – sure enough – parking was included just as everyone but the concierge had said) but took it off anyway without having to see it.

Other hotels usually can get you in a little earlier than your guaranteed check-in time. We knew check-in was 4pm but that we could arrive early to use the pools and amenities on the property and that they would rush our room if they could. I was really excited about the pools until we saw that it was like freaking spring break… the pools were so full and crowded with people that it wasn’t at all what we were hoping for, or what we had seen the other times we’d been there. I am still amazed that the Montelucia attracts that kind of crowd. If I would have known that, I would have booked our anniversary weekend at a different resort. From what we could see, the shade was all taken until we saw 2 lounge chairs by a cabana we could pull under the cabana to get shade. There were no signs posted to tell us otherwise. We were trying to get comfortable as we felt out of sorts in the heat and the crowd and not having a room yet, when the nice bar tender lady came up to us to say “oh you wanted to rent a cabana today?” We found out it was $175 and quickly moved. This added to the uncomfortable-ness we were already experiencing. She did find an umbrella for us and rolled it over to 2 lounge chairs for us and brought us a pitcher of nice ice cold water- so that was very sweet and helped us feel better.

We arrived at 2pm and they didn’t call me to let me know the room was ready until 3:59pm. Well, I guess they keep their word on the 4pm check in time. They did apologize a couple of times for the wait.

The bathroom is the best part of the room, otherwise, it’s just an ordinary room with thin paper like sheets. Once again, pretty surprised that a nice expensive hotel like this doesn’t have better sheets. No ceiling fan in the room, but our balcony had one?? AC didn’t seem to cool as low as the temp said it was (felt like 80 when it said it was 70) but luckily it cooled. We did have a nice view of the Oasis pool with Camelback right behind it and multiple employees reminded us we had the best view at the hotel.

The shower and tub were awesome but because of the construction a huge pool of water from the shower gathered in front of the sink after escaping from the shower and running across the bathtub to the floor in front of the sink. I hope they get that taken care of.
Wanted to check out the spa and stopped in to do so but wasn’t shown anything except the area I stepped into right inside the door and a brochure. Maybe I needed to be more direct with what I wanted, or maybe they don’t let people look at the spa? I would have liked to look at what I could have experienced there if I chose to do so.

We did enjoy the salsa demonstration while we sweated our butts off waiting for our room to be ready. The chef did a great job and it was fun! The server lady brought us ice cold water as well. I do love the look and feel of the resort architecture itself and feel transported to a different part of the world. So I was a little sad to see the new owners changing some of the Moroccan feel to more of a modern feel with their new bar restaurant Centro. I just hope they don’t change the architecture and Moroccan feel completely.

The breakfast was yummy but the scones, danishes and muffins leave something to be desired. With our breakfast they delivered a note that said something very nice about celebrating our 1st anniversary there and they brought chocolate covered strawberries, which are my favorite. They were ok – not the freshest or yummiest I have ever eaten. I thought it was nice of them to do but laughed because we were going to be checking out in a couple of hours. Not sure if they wait until you order room service or the day you are leaving to bring it to you. I really appreciated it, just thought it would be something they’d want to bring to us the first day.

Tried to check out from our room but the charges were messed up. I had to wait in line in the small muggy reception area that does feel like an afterthought to the resort. I heard there were about 180 people checking out and a group of 200 checking in!

All in all for the money we paid, it wasn’t what I expected to receive. It wasn’t that awful but it wasn’t that great either… Just middle of the road. I have stayed at really nice resorts which I thought the Montelucia was in the same ball park but now can see it’s not. I am happy we didn’t have to pay full price and that we got to “experience the Montelucia” just thought we’d be treated better- especially for our 1st anniversary and made to feel a little more special and not just some other customer. I think La Quinta’s have taken better care of us than the Montelucia, and for a lot less money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daisy774

Thank you for your review. I want to apologize for the unusual Montelucia Experience you encountered on your celebratory weekend. This is an unfortunate situation because this has left a bad impression and affected your anniversary. I will be sure to communicate and pass on the feedback to all areas. Again, our deepest apologies.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My stay at the Montelucia Resort & Spar was excellent. When I arrived at the entrance, I was greeted by the bell hops, they gave me directions on where to check in. When I reached the front desk, the young lady( can't remember her name) was very efficient and polite. The shuttle took us to our room and upon entering the room it was very clean and fresh. I love the bathroom, room itself. When I looked out the window there was a patio with furniture and the swimming pool. Although I only stayed overnight it was just breath taking. The use of their conference hall was amazing. When I checked out that morning, I was greeted with a very pleasant smile, And yes, I would recommend your resort and spa to everyone. Thank you for making my stay wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms that are near the pool on the south side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your review! We hope to see you again soon and for a longer period of time! Hope you are having a great remainder of the summer and keep your eye out for our continued summer rates and offers!

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful sense of arrival. Perfectly kept landscaping. Great view of mountain. Not far at all from Phoenix, and there's even a Starbucks 5 minutes drive from the resort - not that you'll need it cause this place rocks. We had a king suite overlooking main pool - probably the best room for my wife and I and our 13 year old - he said it was best fold out bed he'd slept in and we got a little privacy at night too! All good about this place so do stay if you get a chance. I only rate 5 stars about 3 times a year but travel a lot - so this place deserves it. The spa, fitness room, restaurants, coffee shop are all top notch and the morrocean feel to the place is tastefully done. I must give you a tip though... Seems to me that many of there rooms have no view and are tucked into dark corners - make sure you know what your getting. If you have a teenager like we did avoid all rooms on ground and first floor that are around the adults only pool.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Expattraveler100

Thank you for your review! Great to hear that your stay with your family went so well and we were one of the few you rate with 5 stars. We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!