“Awesome Weather on Campus”

Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed June 8, 2013

it was a very tough decision, what with all of the many choices of places to stay in sunny Scottsdale, but we chose the Montelucia "campus" resort. I don't think I'd fight really hard to return there, but there are some great and some not so great things to say about my experience. The "ambience" of the place felt quite "clubby" to me, with 2-level buildings around grassy areas, flowers and trees, that felt more like a campus, not a spa resort. The fountain walkway is very nice, and the welcome view you get as you walk toward the Kasbah Pool, with the Mountains as a backdrop, truly is breathtaking. As the sun sets and hits the mountain, you experience a peaceful easy calm feeling. Wonderful.

We had a suite (bedroom and sitting room combo) that was very close to the action, which we were grateful for. A great balcony with two really comfortable lounge chairs. One of the chairs at the table had a broken leg. The room was comfortable/great, and we were impressed at the efficiency of housekeeping and turndown service. The rug is REALLY due for a refit, replete with spots and stains. I did not walk around the room barefoot. The room could have used a full length mirror, perhaps hanging in one of the closet doors (tons of closet and drawer space). We also slept very well, in a very comfortable bed. The A/C worked perfectly; A blessing when it's 106 degrees. Good large bathroom and shower big enough to hold a square dance. Wish the tub had been a whirlpool. Strange decoration choices in bathroom.

As for the general facilities, both the Kasbah Pool and the Oasis Pool were fine...for swimming and sitting reading a book. Reasonably good pool food and drink service. LOVED the ice water they bring every day. GREAT! Also friendly pool boys/girls and reasonable wait service. I say reasonable because sometimes we had to ask for things and sometimes we didn't.

The maintenance folks should put something on the iron gate leading into the pool areas so that they don't slam shut. Very noisy and annoying. Humans could help by not letting the gates slam, like the mopes who can't go into a hotel room without slamming their doors.

Also, the crows flying and foraging around the pool area were a real nuisance. There must be something that can be done to keep these dirty annoying birds "at bay."

What disappointed me the most about this place (apart from the insanely high prices of "extras") was that it wasn't as clean and tidy as I would have expected. I thought the furniture and the cabanas around the pools were tacky and tired and in need of an upgrade. I also don't think they keep the place clean (DISNEY HAS THIS NAILED). Papers and cups laid around and about after people had vacated their encampments, some of the beds around the pool were "ripped" and in need of repair (or trashing) and generally the furniture looked cheap. The navy blue cabanas looked drab and sunburned. Not appealing if they're trying to sell that space.

Also, going back to the room and seeing room service dishes stacked outside the rooms (as in hotel hallways) just makes me feel nauseous. They really should just have interns roaming the halls occasionally to make sure these eyesores are removed.

One sparkling delight I experienced was the spa. Did two treatments which I really enjoyed. The spa is truly beautiful inside. One of the nicest I've ever been in, and I've been in quite a few. I got a good deal on what I had....lovely terrace with a private swimming pool, and an awesome steam/sauna room; great lockers. A lot of thought went into the spa, inside. Don't like the outside much; it looks like a museum. Oh, yes, the weather was perfect. And that was really what we went for....

Charging for internet access should cease and desist. It is a sad way, these days, to nickel and dime guests who are dropping a pretty penny on everything else, including $7 bottled water and $4 bagels. Food is also important, so I'll put my experience in the Prado under an Open Table review.

Room Tip: We liked our room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to detail out your review. Your feedback is helpful and I will be sure to follow up with the departments. I do hope you return again, even if it is just a day at our Joya Spa!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

What a delight my husband and I discovered during our 5 day stay at the end of May! We enjoyed every minute of our 5 day stay @this 5 star gem. Montelucia was beyond our expectations, though have stayed in other 5 stars all over the world. The unique design Morroccan & Andalusian architecture gently blends decor from Christian and Islamic cultures in a wonderful way. We felt as if we'd travelled overseas and were living a European lifestyle without the need for a passport, foreign currency etc. Montelucia's outstanding staff, service, spa, rooms, and wonderful food left us wanting more...(stays at Montelucia). We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: We had a quiet room on the higher floor with a view of Camelback Mountain. Bldg 10 was perfect for...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mollie826

Thank you for your review! I am so pleased you and your husband were able to enjoy the resort. I hope you are able to return soon!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am a native-Arizonian and I love love love this resort. I've done several "stay-cations" here and am even planning my wedding here in the fall. When you enter the resort, you feel as though you've stepped into another world. The colorful Andalusian decor is beautiful and completely compliments the desert and Camelback Mountain backdrop. The rooms are spacious, beds are super comfy and the staff is so nice and accommodating. They pay attention to detail and are very service-oriented. The restaurant and Crave Cafe are really good too. And the spa is phenomenal, with a relaxing quiet spa pool and wonderful treatments.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Elise B

Thank you for your review! I am so pleased you were able to enjoy your stay. We love how our locals are able to escape, even if it is a short drive, and enjoy a "stay-cation"! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

stayed here for work. AC was very cold -- which was needed b/c it was super hot outside. bunnies (like peter cotton tail) were running around outside. went for a run towards the mountain a few times in the AM. lots of cyclists about early too -- very safe area. shower in room nice. bed very comfy. I'd stay here again for work.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again soon for work or a vacation! You should look at a trip in your winter months, you will love sitting outside on our patios that time of year!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

So happy with our trip to Montelucia! Every member of the staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy, well taken care of and had everything we needed. Incredible attention to every detail that made our stay awesome!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve G

Thank you for your review! Hope to see you again soon, short flight from Los Angeles!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was fortunate to stay at Montelucia at the end of May 2013. This property is amazingly beautiful with amazing service. I booked a one story casita in the back of the property (Building 16). It was spacious and very quiet. It had a private patio with a view of the mountains and a lawn! When I wanted some music and lively activity all I needed to do was walk a short distance down a beautiful path to the pool area. There was lively music, great pool side service and everything you need!Food at the M bar and Crave were excellent and well priced. I was also able to spend the day in the wonderful Joya spa. It was both relaxing and soothing. If you have time, spend the whole day int he spa and have lunch on the Joya Terrace. The service at every turn was outstanding. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in! I know I'll be back and will be requesting a room in the #16 building (rooms 1600). I would recommend this resort for women or men traveling alone or as a romantic getaway for couples.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I absolutely love this resort. There isn't one negative thing to say about it. The restaurants are great, the rooms are nice, the resort and amenities are wonderful. It was my first time in AZ and I liked the view of Camelback mountain which is absolutely breathtaking. That was the most comfortable bed I ever slept in at a hotel. I want to return to this spot because it is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lovelyinparis76

Thank you for your review! I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit and I hope you are able to return again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!