“Nice But A Bit Overrated”

Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Denver
“Nice But A Bit Overrated”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed here last weekend. We have been at many 5 star resorts and while the property is nice, its not quite up there. First of all, note the place is HUGE, maybe 300 or more rooms. The rooms are in different buildings on the property and kind of had a 'living in a college apartment complex feel.' The rooms are nice, but not spectacular. They are an average size, and ours was quite dark, and no fireplace. All rooms have a balcony or patio which is nice but there are so many people around, its not very private. The pools are nice, but with, again, so many people, don't think you'll get any sort of intimate, private feel. Its like a las vegas pool, with rows and rows of lounge chairs lines up across the pool lawn, and a few 'reserved' cabanas which were empty. For all these people at the resort, i would have thought of adding a couple of more pools on the property. A nice plus is that lunch is served by the pool and room service is available if you want a more intimate feel. They do have many restaurants on site, but they are all pretty crowded.

Be aware of all the fees-- a little higher than most resorts ($27 for valet, $10 for self park), and the room price we were quoted was for one person, with a $75 add on for the second person. I mean come on. Be prepared to spend a ton of money here, my coffee drink here was $10, appetizers $15, and dinners more than $30. Room service adds on 22% for gratuity and a fee for delivery so be aware.

The upside is that its close to hiking and scottsdale, and that if you don't want to leave the property you don't have to. Everything is there. Also the staff were very nice and attentive.

Room Tip: If you want a little quiter, ask for the far end of the resort with unobstructed view of camelback m...
2 Thank Erin S
alisonm708, Director of Marketing at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am disappointed that you didn't get the intimate feel of the resort. I hope you are able to return and have a better experience with us. We are spread out which can allow for those intimate spaces, we would love to see you again! Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked this resort through an online booking site so we were unsure of what to expect but the Montelucia Resort exceeded all of our expectations! A large resort with spanish influences throughout it was aesthetically pleasing as well as comfortable. We had a room in building 15 with a view of camelback mountain. The room was quite large and beautifully appointed! The large bathroom was luxurious by any standards: tons of travertine tile, speakers, a big soaker tub, separate shower and water closet and a large vanity. No matter how great a trip, I always cannot wait to return to my own bed but not this time! They have the most luxurious beds! This area of the resort is very quiet but a fair walking distance for elderly of infirm people from the spa, restaurant, bar and pool. The public areas are very nice, it was cooler so the gas fire heaters were very nice. We ate at Prado, the food and service were very good and again despite the weather we were very cosy on the patio as there was a fireplace and infrared heaters to keep patrons warm. All staff were extremely friendly, the chef even took time to show us to reception when we ran into him and were trying to find our way! Paradise Valley is a very quiet part of Scottsdale but an easy 10 minute drive to Old Town, Fashion Mall etc. I highly recommend this hotel to all. Next time I hope to try out the Spa! Even with the daily resort fee, I felt this resort was a far better value than what I paid for and received at some other Scottsdale resorts we stayed at during this visit!

Room Tip: Large Resort if you have mobility issues you may want to book a room closer to the amenities...but t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review! We hope you are able to return and stay with us again soon! Stay warm up in Canada!
Victor, Idaho, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here two times and we will return for all trips to Scottsdale. The service is over the top and the accomodations are the best. It's close to some great hiking and shopping. Next time we'll try to eat there. We have had great breakfasts but not dinners.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. You were here at a great time of the year, October is beautiful and full of great nightlife! We hope to see you again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Love Arizona... you have the heat without the humidity. This was a quick trip... just stayed a few days but had such a great time. The room was a beautiful suite that was all the way at the back of the hotel grounds. Room seemed very private.... Had a huge dining room, living room and bathroom in one portion and a very large separate bedroom with large bathroom. The walk to the pool, bars and restaurant was not close but I didnt mind at all. The staff was very friendly and the food was pretty good. Definitely have the huevos rancheros for breakfast.... they are EXCELLENT!!! The spa was great too... I had one of the toxin removal wraps and it was an excellent experience . Absolutely loved ALL the staff there...from the restaurant, the pool, the spa, the bar and even the gift shop. (ended up buying a pair of jeans)

We also ventured out and went to dinner at a GREAT mexican place (dont remember the name, but the table side guacamole is a must!) We also ht some of the bars around town and had a great time. Definitely go to the midget bar called Giligins Bar and take advantage of the golf cart taxis called "Bunny Rides" (I think).... a lot of fun. We literally paid the kid money to just drive us around we were having such a good time. We even picked others up and dropped them off at their destinations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your response! We hope to see you again soon, cheers!
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent Presidents Weekend (one bedroom) building 19 which were mini adobe-like casitas....The room was well appointed and they knew we were celebrating our anniversary so chocolate dipped strawberries were delivered upon our arrival. Nice sweet touch!
We enjoyed lounging by both pools, had a fabulous dinner at PRADO, and I spent an entire morning at the spa..... Definately the highlight of my weekend. JOYA the spa is absolutely fabulous! I had the Hamman Treatmeant (great for exfoliating) before my massage and it was awesome! After the massage I took a long nap in their Whisper room (shhhh, super quiet, lounge beds with blankets, candles) and then stepped outside to the rooftop terrace pool which is for spa guests only. The pool area is staffed and you can enjoy lunch and a glass of wine while you bask in the wonderful warm sun! Truly delightful!
While in Scottsdale we saw a movie at IPIC theatres and also did some shopping in Old Scottsdale. We had a rental car and both locations were about 10-15 minutes away. If you are considering a hotel in this area - consider MonteLucia, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Ground floor in our area was very quiet....
2 Thank sandyb39
Thank you so much for your review! We are the only Hammam in Arizona so I am pleased you were able to experience it! This year brings amazing new things for the spa so keep an eye out for new treatments!
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I came to the Montelucia because of an on-site professional meeting. I had stayed at the property before, when it was "La Posada," and always liked it's grounds and location at the edge of Paradise Valley, near where I used to live 10 years or so ago. The newly rennovated and transformed resort is truly wonderful! It is a vast improvement over what existed before, which I always thought had been pretty nice.

In becoming "Montelucia" instead of the old La Posada, they re-did essentially all of the common areas, including the pool, restaurants, spa, bars, etc., in the European (Spanish) theme, and also substantially upgraded all of the rooms. It was one of the nicest rooms I have EVER stayed in, better even than most of the 5-star hotels I've used in Spain and Italy and Central Europe. The bathroom was state-of-the-art luxurious, the room was spacious, the TV was great and the bed and other furniture were high-end and comfortable. The food and drink in the Centro bar was unbelievably good and very reasonably priced - no need to take a cab and go into town for a bite or a brew!

What stood out most, however, was the quality of the service and the employees, which the management likes to refer to as "The Talent." I had the opportunity to chat at some length with the Executive Chef (Chef Michael), as well as other Chefs and managers while I was there, and they explained the philosophy: hire the best, friendliest, most sincere hardworking people - and then teach them whatever skills you need them to have. And this strategy has really paid off. Everyone, from the top chef and managers to the mid-level staff such as the concierge, front desk people and bartenders, all the way down to the lowest-ranking valets and housekeepers was EXTREMELY nice, SUPER-competent at their jobs, and ALWAYS went the extra mile, and all while being VERY friendly and gregarious. A smile (and not a faked one) was on every face most of the time. Bottles of water were always on offer in the reception area--a very nice thing in the desert, even in the "winter." The staff clearly gets along well with each other and enjoys the guests - there is quick and authentic rapport. Every interaction with the staff was delightful. And each person, at every level, is empowered to make decisions that serve the customer's needs, without having to clear everything with superiors or follow some sort of rigid "script."

One anecdote: a valet called a cab for me at 5:00 a.m. on the day of my departure. At 5:30 that cab hadn't come, by which time the valet had called the cab company back twice... when it was clear to him that no cab was coming, and that I was getting worried about making my flight, he put me in an on-site Execucar and told the driver my ride would be on the Montelucia!! A $40 gift!! Priceless, in my view, in terms of the peace of mind he gave me. THAT's the kind of place Monelucia is.

I cannot say enough about how wonderful this place is! I hope to return next year, if not sooner.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms - I stayed in Bldg. 12, a bit far from the beaten path. It was wonderful, wi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for this detailed review! Please be sure to come back and see us again as there is always something new happening in Scottsdale and Montelucia!
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent stay. I have stayed at most of the 5 star resorts in Scottsdale and Montelucia is certainly up there. The rooms are not quite as nice as say the Royal Palm but the price to value is excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,620 reviews
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!