“Wish we could have stayed longer”

Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We're locals and just did a quick overnight to celebrate our anniversary (I know about this hotel because my company does their annual conference here and I don't get to stay because I live locally!). Got a good off-season rate for a Camelback view room, although once taxes and fees were added, the price climbed 50%. The room was very comfortable, spacious, and nicely decorated. Lots of electrical outlets, which is really nice to see - too many hotels (particularly for business travelers) don't have enough outlets or they're not accessible. The bathroom was very big, with a walk-in dual-head shower, soaking tub, separate toilet room, and bathrobes. The bed was absolutely heavenly. Our room was situated far from the entrance, which resulted in a bit of a hike to and from the valet, but it was great to have such a quiet location and a beautiful view of the mountain.

Service was excellent with very friendly, welcoming staff who were always ready to help. We wanted to have dinner at the hotel, but my husband wasn't too excited about the menus; however, they more than willingly made him a pizza off the room service menu while I enjoyed the tapas (we ate at MBar, which also serves the Prado menu). We bought the French caramel truffles at the Julia Baker shop - very yummy.

It was a great stay and I would have loved a couple more nights. There was only one complaint: the shower drain was much too inadequate for the amount of water even one shower head put out. Within a couple minutes there was at least an inch of standing water and it went all the way to the small wood stool by the shower entrance and almost onto the bathroom floor (it would have flooded the bathroom, except for the incline and tiling along the shower floor boundary). After washing my hair, all the soap ended up on the other side of the shower, making the standing water all scummy - yuck. It took at least 30 min to drain out too. Other than that, a terrific place.

1  Thank Pellis08
Write a ReviewReviews (2,613)

Reviewed July 19, 2011

A perfect place for a weekend getaway...or longer. Felt like we were miles away from home. Montelucia offers a variety of wonderful amenities including the vast resort frills, great gym, breathtaking views of the Camelback Mountains. No need to leave the resort, but close proximity to Old Town Scottsdale, golf, and other AZ attractions. The brunch at Prado is a huge plus as well. Definite plans to visit again.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

I found it! This place blew me away. Breathtaking views, great pool and the best hotel staff in the world. We got the royal treatment and we've been sad all day that we are home. John at the front desk was great and very helpful, A.J. at the bar had me feeling good poolside, and Chef Kyle took care of us. My girlfriend has a very bad food allergy and Kyle came to our table to make sure he could accomadate her. After finding that there was nothing on the menu she could eat, he went into the kitchen and made her something special! I was so impressed we made dinner reservations for that night. Kyle made sure that she has appetisers and dinner choices when we arrived. We are trying to figure out when we can go back and we checked out 5 hours ago. Room was amazing.. I cant say enough good things about this place. Just go find out for yourself... Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Really enjoyed our stay here. It's exclusive, serene and the setting is gorgeous. Pricey, but worth it - and very affordable in the off season. The rooms are huge, each with a balcony or patio. There are multiple pools, one being adults-only. The spa and fitness facilities are excellent - and unlimited use is included in the resort-fee. Also available are all kinds of spa treatments, Great for day-trippers too, as the resort fee also includes use of the pools and spa facilities without having to book a night's stay. The resort has many activities, including fitness classes, and foodie classes (mixology, training with their chef, barista tips). The only thing that marred our trip is that the "pet" policy is really a "dog" policy. We specifically chose the Montelucia because we were travelling with a cat (and no - we're not crazy cat people). But when we called the day prior to confirm the reservation, we were told that they don't allow cats, and that the booking is non-refundable (we'd booked our stay via the resort's website). So if travelling with a non-dog pet, confirm their policy before you book.

Room Tip: If you're a Priority Club member, you'll get a room upgrade when booking.
1  Thank JoGrrrrl
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This is supposed to be a 5star hotel. My experience was terrible. They nickel and dime you for everything. The parking lot is very far away from some of the rooms. $46dollars for room service breakfast? they add a room service charge and then another room service tax for a whopping total of $12.00! The first morning I was there my coffee pot was broken and they wanted to send a techician to my room @6:15AM to fix the coffee pot. I said no and asked them to please deliver a pot of coffee to me instead. They charged me $12.00! After I complained they took the coffee off but refused to remove the service charge. The hallways were dirty from the dust storm. I will never return here. I stayed at a Marriot in Scottsdale and was so happy with everything. That is where I will go next time. Do not get fooled by this hotel. They were certainly not on their game during my visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank rutgersdouglass73
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We just returned from a wonderful 4-day Girls Spa Weekend at the Montelucia Resort. As stated in previous reviews the resort grounds are absolutely beautiful and the rooms are very spacious. We received an excellent rate on our room through Hotwire. The resort is located only a few minutes from Fashion Square mall and several really good restaurants. I highly recommend the Joya Spa located on the resort, we had an amazing experience and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sherwood-99
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We are just back from a wonderful 4-day stay at the Montelucia. The entire visit, right from arrival to departure, exceeded our expectations. The resort is, as others have written, beautiful - the perfect place for some rest and relaxation. The property is large but not overwhelming. It was easy to walk to Crave cafe (excellent food!) and any of the pools. After reading some reviews, we were concerned about the parking but it wasn't far at all once we got our bearings for the property! :-))

It was extremely hot while we were at the Montelucia so we spent most of the day at the pools. We loved the Oasis pool - lots of big towels, chairs and umbrellas (though it was tough to stay in the shade because of the moving sun, but that's not the resort's fault!). Food and drinks are delicious and the attendants attentive, coming around with jugs of ice water and ice cold cooling towels.

The Kasbah is the largest pool - it's actually big enough that you can swim lengths. We were at Montelucia over the July 4th weekend so we didn't spend a lot of time at the Kasbah as it did get very busy. We preferred the Oasis and the Joya spa pools. The spa facilities are lovely and peaceful - it was nice to spend some quiet time there at the end of each day.

The rooms are spacious and very comfy. There is ample storage space, even in the bathroom. The bathroom is huge - the shower is much nicer than in most other hotels/resorts! We especially enjoyed sitting out on the balcony after dinner. The balcony is spacious enough for a cafe-table and chairs, as well as a chaise longue.

You can take as many or as few of the daily activities as you wish. The list (on their website) is varied and interesting. There's something for everyone - we took some great fitness classes!

Lastly, but most importantly, guest services are excellent. Staff are genuinely friendly and helpful. For example, on our first day, we called Housekeeping to ask for some extra towels and hangers. They were brought promptly AND we got a followup phone call, asking if we'd received everything we requested! That call was a nice surprise!

We definitely recommend the Montelucia. We didn't sample everything the resort has to offer - we'll have to wait for our next visit there!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!