“Beautiful resort.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Beautiful resort.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

Stayed at this resort for six days in April. We were very impressed. We were given an oasis pool room. Ideal quiet location for a couple. We had the most fantasic view of camel back montain from our terrace. The whole resort was exceptionally clean & well kept. The staff were very friendly & polite. We ate out quite a lot as the restaurant was very expensive & the pool bar closed at about 5 ish. Maybe this is seasonal? But we were given 30 dollars breakfast credit each day for the buffet which was great. Lovely spacious room with comfy bed & super bathroom. Bit out of the way for downtown scottsdale. Would probably pick a better location if we went back.

• Stayed April 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

We only stayed for one night but it was just what we were hoping for! A beautiful resort! Our room was even upgraded which was a wonderful surprise!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

Some might see the location as great, as the hotel is subtly self contained in a quiet residential area overlooked by Camelback Mountain which provides a stunning backdrop to most areas of the hotel.
Others might see it differently, as while you are located in a quiet residential area, you could walk a mile in either direction (and I know someone who naively did so) and find nothing but residential housing, so with Scottsdale's distinct lack of taxi's, you do need a car, if you want to eat, or have any life outside the hotel.
Ok, so now you have a car, add $10 per night for self parking or $27 for valet - the $27 valet parking is clear on advance paperwork but the $10 self parking could come as a surprise.
There is also a $25 pn 'Resort Fee' which like most ‘Resort fee’s’ leaves you wondering what it was actually for, as if you did not use the spa or the (inconsistent) wi-fi it is quite simply $25 a night for 'nothing'!
So as soon as most guests park their car and go to their room another $35 has been added to their bill, that and every subsequent night!
I made my booking, through the IHG website, then added more nights with another booking and put comments on the 2nd booking to advise them to link the stays. I also sent a separate email directly to the hotel to advise them I was now staying longer, but when I arrived at reception to check-in, it was clear that the receptionist was unaware I had two bookings and was staying longer than one night? - In an ICH it is unacceptable that emails and comments have not been actioned/noted!
The hotel itself is very nice, and the rooms are really good too, however again it is little things which just detract from what could be excellence. e.g. it is mentioned below about the three capsules for the coffee machine - ok understand they want to limit this, but why three? - most rooms surely have an occupancy of two, so someone can have two coffees and the other only one (unless you buy more) - four coffee pods would surely make more sense.
Had no issues with the adult pool in terms of being used by kids when we were there, however did have a strange occurrence one day when the pool guy offered everybody around us jugs of iced water, but missed us out - I was a bit aggrieved at the time, but give him the benefit of the doubt on this, as he included us the next day.
Food and drink throughout the hotel was generally ok to very good, but again service throughout the various catering/bar areas was mixed.
And it is service (or lack of it) which left me with my final impression of the Montelucia, in that our flight back to the UK did not depart PHX until after 2100 on our last day.
I went to reception to ask what options I might have in terms of keeping the room longer than 1200. I waited in a line for around 10 mins while one person (a very cheery young man) served on main reception and another dealt with an ICH Ambassador member, before a third agent came out and called me to a side table. I was quite taken aback by the initial interaction which did not include either a smile nor any greeting whatsoever, and when I raised the subject of options to stay - the agent tapped at the computer and advised I had two choices as the hotel was full - leave at 1200, or join the Ambassador Club for $200 and keep the room until 1600.
Still no smile, no warmth, no empathy - no nothing!
Obviously when she tapped at her computer she had registered I was staying on redemption and had charged an average of $65 a day to the room, so was I worth helping???
What she did not know, was how as a customer I had earned the redemption, how much cash I had spent at the hotel, (which was not inconsiderable), and how much of an influence I might have on future ICH group bookings - the attitude, and it was indeed 'attitude', was somewhat short-sighted!
I declined the offer to join the Ambassadors Club, as my ‘personal’ travel plans rarely include cities which feature Intercontinental Hotels - The ICH group yes, Crowne Plaza, HI, Indigo, but not ICH, so her 'offer' amounted to me paying $200 to be able to stay from 1200 - 1600, or $50 per hour.
Immediately afterwards I checked online, and the hotel was far from full that night, with a wide selection of rooms available, from $329 (previous nights had been selling at $599) and while I can accept my initial contract with the hotel does of course end at check-out time, and my particular room may have been booked, I have some difficulty as a ‘valued’ customer accepting the ultimatum of join the Ambassadors Club, or get out at 1200, never mind a blatant lie that the hotel was full.
There is no doubt this is a hotel with many qualities, location (if you have a car), facilities, rooms, cleanliness, beautiful grounds, general ambience, etc .etc., but first and last experiences at reception meant that these other qualities were diluted very quickly!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank bluemingoodbloke
Montelucia, Manager at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Montelucia. We read and highly value all feedback we receive as we use it in the training of our people so we can constantly improve upon the service and hospitality we deliver to our guests. As you can imagine, we are very disappointed to hear about your experience here.

We have researched your stay at legnth and apologize for the errors that were made. Again, we fully intend on using your feedback as an opportunity to learn, grow and reaffirm the importance of a friendly smile and fond farewell.

Regarding the resort fee, many local resorts have a daily charge in order to provide guests with a variety of amenities. We believe our resort fee is one of the most generous in the market and very competitive. We encourage you to explore offerings of comparable resorts and believe you will find our offerings to be far superior.

We sincerly regret that you did not have the experience you desired and will make every effort to improve in the areas we fell short. We would love the chance to welcome you back in the future so that we may offer you the true Montelucia experience.
Ontario, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

Travel and Leisure calls this the best resort in Arizona and lists it as one of the top 50 in the country (#13 I believe), so I had high expectations going in. I've only stayed at one other comparable resort in the Phoenix area--the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, and that hotel doesn't receive the same lofty praise as the Montelucia. One thing that sets it apart from the JW is the look of the resort and the rooms, which are flavored with Andalusian/Morroccan architecture. Our bathroom was fabulous, with a huge tiled shower that lined the entire back wall. The room was fair-sized, with bold, dark furnishings and deep shades of orangy red on the walls. The resort has 3 pools, one is attached to the spa. The spa is absolutely beautiful and continues the Morrocan/Andalusian theme. The staff was pretty friendly, but not over-the-top. My friend, who traveled with me, said that every single passing staff member greeted him warmly. I didn't receive that level of attention from every staff member, but the few times I wasn't greeted didn't bother me. There were a few minor issues that kept the visit from being exceptional. Passing through the area between the foot of the bed and the TV area caused the floor to shake and jar the vases that were on the armoire next to the TV. The light was burned out on the balcony and despite a request and a return phone call on behalf of the staff, the bulb never got replaced during our stay. Also, leaving our room took us to an alleyway between the resort's residential village and the restaurant and it took us away from the feel of the resort. I enjoyed the beautiful spa, but the massage was just acceptable, not great. As part of our package, we received a $50 spa credit. However, we did not receive the bill when we checked out because the system was done. After I received it via e-mail, I realized that we had not received our spa credit. I call the front desk and received a rather convoluted explanation the spa charges before the gentleman at the front desk admitted he didn't really understand the charges and referred me directly to the spa. I left a message at the spa and they called me the next day. The nice lady from the spa referred me back to the front desk, but I asked her to talk to them. She called me back a few hours later to confirm what I already knew...they had not given me the spa credit. She indicated that they would credit my card, but as of today, about 4 days later, my card has not been credited. I have faith that I will eventually get the credit, but I may have to call them again. The fine dining restaurant, Prado, was, of course, pricey but tasty with good service. Overall, the resort was lovely and unique, with an intimate feel, but I enjoyed my stay at the JW just as much, and preferred the look and feel of the grounds of the JW. This is probably just my personal preference, however. If you prefer the amenities of a large resort in an intimate setting, I feel comfortable recommending the Montelucia Resort and Spa despite the small imperfections.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here over the weekend and had an amazing time. From the spa to the pools to the grounds and the restaurants...I can't recommend the Montelucia enough. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

Passing through Phoenix en-route to San Francisco, we elected to take a short break at the Montelucia. The facilities were excellent and on the whole the staff extremely friendly and willing to help. Despite part of our stay falling across a busy weekend the facilities did not become overcrowded nor the standard of service fall. Not being the greatest fan of hotel based restaurants for dinner the quality of their menu was brilliant and sea fish extremely fresh and cooked perfectly. Only minor points: valet parking is expensive compared to other locations we enjoyed and the Front Desk staff seem to enjoy being aloof and surly yet every other staff member is open, warm and friendly. Don't let their frosty reception put you off as it initially did us. Overall: We would definitely use this resort again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

Last year we were extremely impressed with Montelucia. However it seems to have gone a bit downhill since then. We experienced terrible service issues at check in- we were not given connecting rooms and we have a 17 year old in the party- even though we had requested them on the reservation and confirmed our request a week before. It took a 20 minute fight at the front desk to receive connecting rooms- after all of that, apparently they were available anyway.

The amenities at this resort were excellent, although the casual dining closes early and doesn't serve dinner, leaving you nowhere to have a casual dinner on site. The gelato shop also closes early. The spa is great (and is the one reason I would consider going back to Montelucia) but avoid going on Mondays- the services are cheaper but the spa was crowded.

We stayed in the Oasis buildings, which is the only place we would feel comfortable staying. Some buildings are much farther from the parking lot. Oasis is better because it is quiet (by the adult pool) and I would not recommend staying by the main pool or in a regular room, as a lot of them overlook busy pathways.

As for value concerns, everything is expensive. For room service I was charged $20 for two eggs. Park your own car- the lot is the same one they use for valet. You can get a decent deal if you stay in the standard rooms at the resort, but I would be too concerned about noise to even try them. The new chocolate shop has the best chocolates I've ever had, but even those are expensive.

In short, will we be back? Not sure at this point. I just wish we had had a good experience our second time around too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank BeachyGirl26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,566 reviews
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!