“Classy resort”

Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed June 3, 2011

This was my wife and I's first stay at a nice resort property in the US, or the world for that matter, and we were impressed. We only stayed one night, using a free night voucher from a Priority Club promotion after paying for two stays at Holiday Inns. The resort is in the northern suburbs of Pheonix, although it feels like the property is more isloated when you are walking around and Camelback Mountain dominates the backdrop looking south. However, our original room said it offered "desert views" and I have no idea what they were referring to, unless they meant there were palm trees and some prickly plants on the property. Instead, we got a king deluxe room in the southwest corner of the resort. Our building (114 or 1114 I think) was 1 floor, and each room had a patio with comfy chairs and direct access to a little grassy/garden area with fruit trees and rabbits running around. There are small walls that divide you from the other rooms on this building, so I sat out on the patio in the morning in my bathrobe. Room and especially bathroom were spacious and refined. The resort itself has all kinds of nice touches, including fountains, a boche ball grass court outside our front door with equipment provided, an adults only pool and tub and a larger family pool and tub area with plently of lounging chairs. We decided to go off property for dinner, and had a great meal at AZ 88 in Old Town Scottsdale, and had some gelato at Old Town Creamery, both recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmeekins

Reviewed June 2, 2011

My family and I stayed at the resort a few weeks ago and enjoyed our time there immensely. The staff is so friendly and the service was great. Check-in was a little slow, however Chris at the front desk was very accommodating. Jessica, the concierge was also very helpful. The grounds are beautiful, especially the Kasbah pool- where we spent most of our time. My husband and I had an amazing experience at the spa. Our massages were incredible and we enjoyed relaxing on the terrace overlooking Camelback Mountain afterwards. We have 3 children and they were thrilled with the kids club, in fact, they couldn't wait to go everyday. Jennifer and Tina were friendly and kind, we knew our children were in good hands. We love this resort and will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This resort, upon arrival, will knock your socks off it is so beautiful, lush, and luxurious in every way. So much so that unless you are a high roller big wig executive for a very important company, you will feel completely out of place here. This hotel is not for the every day man, it is for the top of the top elite class. I do not fault them for this, as there needs to be a place the richest of the rich can go and squander their money, but just be warned that this is how it is before booking. If this will make you uncomfortable, dont stay here.

We came for a 4-day weekend here to celebrate a friends wedding that was on the property, so the bride picked the hotel. She did pick a beautiful place to have a wedding, but it was quite the expense for guests. Let me give you some examples of how crazy expensive this place was:

To have a casual lunch at the pool restaurant, a regular sized margarita was $15!!! Each menu item is listed as seemingly reasonably priced item, and then the meat price is quoted in a different area. What is not clear is that you had to add the item price plus the meat price together to get the total for your food. One friend that I dined with made this mistake and was very surprised by the final cost of her 2 tacos. A couple dining next to me had a few beers, nachos, and a hamburger. Her bill was over 80 dollars!!!!! Holy crap, and that was just for a poolside lunch!

So, you might be thinking to your self, just go to the store and bring your own lunch/drinks to the pool. NO SIREE! There is absolutely NO outside food or drink allowed EVER! They are strict, strict, STRICT here, and the watch you like a hawk! We brought cans of beer to the pool, the same brand thy serve, and were told to dump it out immediately. The pool server also told us they had private spies looking out for anyone else who tried it. If you're going to pay $300 per night to stay here, the least they could let you do was drink your own beer. But no...

You are also not allowed to even MOVE a pool chair to any other spot, because you might be throwing off the balance of chairs per pool server, and each chair that does get moved will be charged a $25 a day fee. The pool server also told me that they make, on average, $50 per person per pool chair. That, ladies and gentleman, is how much it will cost you to get a few beers and a plate of nachos brought to you poolside. So, go get drunk in your room before coming out to the pool, although I agree that this is NOT the point of going to such a nice place. However, $45 plus a tip would be how much it cost me to get a margarita buzz going for an afternoon.

This hotel is also a pretty decent drive from the downtown Scottsdale area, so a cab there and back is also very expensive. If you consider that, on top of the shuttle cost to and from the airport, you are much better off just renting a car.

The wedding here was beautiful on an outdoor lawn in the Presidential Suite, and then the reception was in a very fancy ballroom. This was lovely and any bride would be happy to get married here.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I am just winding up a 5 night stay at the Montelucia. The grounds, pools, restaurants and rooms are outstanding. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the food is very good. I would have given this 5 stars except for the slow service. On my first morning here I was treated as if I were a potted plant when I went to breakfast. After waiting 25 minutes for my waitress to arrive at my table, when there were only 5 or 6 other diners, I had to ask a bus boy to find my waitress. Subsequent experiences at the restaurants, bar and front desk proved to be frustrating in terms of the lengthy wait. The hotel management needs to address these issues promptly.

Room Tip: If you want quiet go for an oasis room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The Montelucia has some of the most impressive, immaculate grounds I have seen at a resort. Between the landscaping and the natural location, it a beautiful place to inspire relaxation and restoration. The rooms are spacious, beautiful, with private patios that are the perfect place to have your morning coffee or an evening drink. The bathroom is probably the best part of the room, with a large, multi shower-head shower (big enough for 2) and a deep, comfortable soaking tub. Combine all of this with an attentive and helpful staff, and you have the makings of a great long weekend. I found the food to be good, but not excellent. The spa was probably the most impressive part of my trip (sorry no pictures to offer). It was recently renovated in a Morrocan inspired theme, and it is just breathtaking. I had a custom massage, which I would rate as one of the best I have ever had. They use high-quality, beuatiful products, and provide plenty of privacy and gorgeous areas for you to relax. I would return to the spa in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Dena E
Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you are looking for a spa getaway, this is your destination! The spa was absolutely magnificent. The rooms spacious and very comfortable. Hotel has town car service to take you anywhere but I recommend renting a car to do some sight seeing. Hotel has car rentals available on site.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Stayed here this week on business. Very disappointed. A new property - but the quality of the service was below average. So many little things that just were not right here....would not want to return here. From the moment I checked in was greeted very briskly, room not ready in mid afternoon, and waited for an hour, yet the hotel was not at 100% capacity? To the moment I departed, no cab available and the staff really pushed the use of limos instead. I've stayed in the Scottsdale area many, many times at many properties. This Intercontinental did not live up to the reputation of the chain.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!